Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The round club badge back>

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The one thing I can't understand is apparently Knight re-designed the badge to 'break with the past'. Why? We'd just lost the Goldstone and were at Gillingham, that was a big enough 'break from the past' for me; the old badge was virtually the only connection we had with the good old days.

He can't have been stupid enough to think that the old badge was linked with Archer and Bellotti can he? It was nothing to do with them.

Anyway, ancient history now. Get the round badge back (which is what most people want) and we'll say no more about it.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
The one thing I can't understand is apparently Knight re-designed the badge to 'break with the past'. Why? We'd just lost the Goldstone and were at Gillingham, that was a big enough 'break from the past' for me; the old badge was virtually the only connection we had with the good old days.

He can't have been stupid enough to think that the old badge was linked with Archer and Bellotti can he? It was nothing to do with them.

Anyway, ancient history now. Get the round badge back (which is what most people want) and we'll say no more about it.

Exactly. We want the round badge back!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
One I did earlier, the seagull is some clip art I modified a bit, not being an artist I'm afraid.

But I've often thought you could take an arty seagull, attach it to a circle and make it look a bit like a ball.

NEWBADGE.jpg

Last edited:

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Hi,

I'm a STH in E Block, and a supporter since I was small. I'm also a graphic designer and run a brand design firm. I've wanted to redesign our badge or at the very least bring back the old roundel since Dick Knight changed the design in 1997.

I recently did some work looking into the potential re-brand of the Albion. I approached the club in August with my designs and received a minimal response. They said that the stadium's architects were going to redesign the badge (which is a bit like asking the dentist to mend your broken leg)..

I've developed two routes; the first is about reviving the 1970's roundel, giving the seagull a bit of personality and adding the Sussex marlets to the collar. The second route is inspired by our club's 1950's badge and positions the Albion ready for a fresh new start at Falmer.

I'd be really interested to hear what people think…

Cheers, Matt

I really like both of these, but the roundel is my favourite. I think adding the martlets, and therefore something very 'Sussex', is a great idea.

And i think that having an 'angry' seagull can only be a good thing. I like the fact that it has more personality, despite it not being 'traditional' (don't know much about heraldic etc, i'll take your word for it TLO). Adding the angry factor makes the Seagull, imo, a much stronger emblem to unite behind. And, erm, it will look MUCH COOLER on my TRACKY TOP.:thumbsup:

Nice one on both designs Mayfair :clap:

No More Geese

Feb 22, 2009
London
Hi,

I'm a STH in E Block, and a supporter since I was small. I'm also a graphic designer and run a brand design firm. I've wanted to redesign our badge or at the very least bring back the old roundel since Dick Knight changed the design in 1997.

I recently did some work looking into the potential re-brand of the Albion. I approached the club in August with my designs and received a minimal response. They said that the stadium's architects were going to redesign the badge (which is a bit like asking the dentist to mend your broken leg)..

I've developed two routes; the first is about reviving the 1970's roundel, giving the seagull a bit of personality and adding the Sussex marlets to the collar. The second route is inspired by our club's 1950's badge and positions the Albion ready for a fresh new start at Falmer.

Cheers, Matt

Both good efforts although I'd have to say the round one is my favourite. The angry Seagull is the best bit...

Probably a good time to change again as well given the new stadium and trying to attract new fans to the club. The current badge is distinctly average and a new improved round model will probably work well with revamping the clubs image.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree with previous comments about losing the red.

Why do we have red in our badge? Moreover, having red AND blue is all a bit PALACE for my taste, and having a bright yellow or gold is more appropriate for a beach town anyway.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
having a bright yellow or gold is more appropriate for a beach town anyway.

Even though the sand (if you can find it) is neither yellow nor gold?

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
Hi,

Cheers, Matt

I LOVE the round one. Particularly like the lettering and the use of the martlets. The re-branding should really push the 'Sussex's team' idea.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
The seagull itself is intriguing but, perversely, has a bit too much 'character', as opposed to being more classicly heraldic (something I feel more appropriate for a badge).

This is my only problem with the first one. I wasn't sure how to word it other than saying its 'a bit too graphic' :)jester:), though the evil-side of the the Seagull is a welcome addition. Apart from that I think it's really good.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Hi,

Cheers, Matt

The second one is QUALITY. You should definitely push this. Not so sure about the first one. Feel the martlets make the roundel look a little bit too busy.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hi,

Cheers, Matt
I love the first one as it's ROUND and I hate the second as it's a SHIELD.

I don't think the martlets work though. I love the thinking behind it, i.e. that the Albion are the national side of Sussex, but even at the size at which you've reproduced the image (which is bigger than it will be on the shirts) they look a bit 'messy', indeed I first thought they were some kind of insect. Apart from that I've got no complaints.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Mayfair, can you do a poll with the different designs and we can see what the general feeling is. Then have someone with close links to the Club (L. Bracknell?/Samrah if he's on here) push the winner as The Supporter's Choice.

P.S. Maybe do a few designs, round with marlets, round without, etc...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here