Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The round club badge back>

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mayfair, can you do a poll with the different designs and we can see what the general feeling is. Then have someone with close links to the Club (L. Bracknell?/Samrah if he's on here) push the winner as The Supporter's Choice.

P.S. Maybe do a few designs, round with marlets, round without, etc...

Hey! He's not the only professional graphic designer on here - I can think of at least another three, including one very closely associated with one of your judges.

Hans Kraay

Aug 3, 2003
Church Langley, Essex
Another bloody tattoo!!

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I know it's only a bit of fun, but why a new one? What's wrong with the 70s blue and white clasiic Peter Ward era ROUND badge?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Do you want to ask the other ones to submit their designs then?

We could, but according to Mayfair, it looks like the club has already commissioned KSS (the stadium atchitects) to do the re-design. It's unusual to ask architects to do it, but it's possible they have a graphic design department, or they have an architect skilled in branding, or they've outsourced it.

Whatever, anyone else submitting anything would only be merely a gesture.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
So they don't do customer sampling then. To get the opinions of people who are sympathetic to what the branding is designed to achieve.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I have to say Im not all that happy about someone who is not assosiated with the club designing a badge. Dont get me wrong they are building a spanking gorious stadium and will love their company forever. But this is my/our club and if we are going to re-brand it I/we should have a part in that.

Oct 11, 2005
London
Thanks for all the feedback - it's much appreciated, good and bad. I've developed a third route based on feedback here and have started a poll to see what the most popular design would be;

The Albion's new badge? - North Stand Chat

Its very sad as I was under the impression that we were a 'community' club but it looks like the board may have appointed the architects to rebrand the club and design a new badge. Surely it would be better to have the fans decide what the new badge should look like - or even if we should revert to the old 1970's one??

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
One I did earlier, the seagull is some clip art I modified a bit, not being an artist I'm afraid.

But I've often thought you could take an arty seagull, attach it to a circle and make it look a bit like a ball.

NEWBADGE.jpg

People are very literal - ignoring the fact the bird looks a little swift-like (and you point out that this is just a visual), I really like the idea behind this. Certainly it is one route we could consider if the logo was being looked at afresh.

The upside for the foodies on here is that your visual also looks like a baked potato! ;)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Thanks for all the feedback - it's much appreciated, good and bad. I've developed a third route based on feedback here and have started a poll to see what the most popular design would be;

The Albion's new badge? - North Stand Chat

Its very sad as I was under the impression that we were a 'community' club but it looks like the board may have appointed the architects to rebrand the club and design a new badge. Surely it would be better to have the fans decide what the new badge should look like - or even if we should revert to the old 1970's one??

It's almost as if you have approached the club with a commercial proposition and have been rejected and now you're campaigning on NSC to get your work reconsidered. I'm sure I'm wrong. I'm sure that buried in all your contributions to NSC must be some examples of your logo designs for us to consider?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I'am not suggesting a fans committee who's brief is to design a logo, therein lies madness.
Obviously the logo design is of enormous importants in relation to sales of club merchandise, and even the fans relationship to the club. Nobody will spend extra money on carrying around a club symbol that they are embaressed to be seen with.
If large food and drink and other commodities companies bother to ask my opinion on their packaging and branding designs, I am sure there is a place for Albion fans input into the design of the logo.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What I suspect might or could happen is that the club brief the re-branding people to take into consideration various aspects of typographical, heraldic, geometric and historical issues and ask for three or four designs. The brief could well include the opinions already expressed on here.

From there, it could be that the club (assuming they're happy with the designs) puts it to a vote of Albion fans. Who knows? The winning design could be akin to what I or Mayfair have offered.

What I don't agree with is the contention that just because KSS are architects, that it's automatic that they can't do the job. We'd have to see the final effort in order to judge that. As I said, it's possible they'll outsource, or it's possible they have graphic designer there already. Nor do I agree that the people doing the job need to be Albion fans - provided they're given a good enough brief from people who, let's face it, are already Albion fans.

Of course, I've no idea if this is the route the club is taking, but it is a possible way.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
What I suspect might or could happen is that the club brief the re-branding people to take into consideration various aspects of typographical, heraldic, geometric and historical issues and ask for three or four designs. The brief could well include the opinions already expressed on here.

From there, it could be that the club (assuming they're happy with the designs) puts it to a vote of Albion fans. Who knows? The winning design could be akin to what I or Mayfair have offered.

What I don't agree with is the contention that just because KSS are architects, that it's automatic that they can't do the job. We'd have to see the final effort in order to judge that. As I said, it's possible they'll outsource, or it's possible they have graphic designer there already. Nor do I agree that the people doing the job need to be Albion fans - provided they're given a good enough brief from people who, let's face it, are already Albion fans.

Of course, I've no idea if this is the route the club is taking, but it is a possible way.
Just seen Insider's answer to Stoo's question in 'Ask the club'. Apparently there are NO PLANS to re-do the badge! Sounds like someone was pulling Mayfair's plonker.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I don't like any of the new samples, they all look too modern and a little bit too cartoony for me.
I'd really just like to go back to the old round badge, the one we had when we were in the 1st division, the one we had when we got to the FA cup final, the one we had in the 91 play off final.
We had our most successful times with that badge lets have it back.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Just seen Insider's answer to Stoo's question in 'Ask the club'. Apparently there are NO PLANS to re-do the badge! Sounds like someone was pulling Mayfair's plonker.

Evidently.

I knew about the re-branding - choosing the typeface for the signs around Falmer, choosing a corporate colour for the club (there isn't one at present), that kind of thing.

Someone on here said that 'Falmer won't sell itself' and that a new identity was needed to ensure it does (I'm paraphrasing). I don't agree with that. Falmer selling out, and the design of the badge are two separate issues. If the badge were to be changed (and I'd prefer a roundel), then the move to Falmer would be the ideal time to do it, however the former isn't dependant on the latter.

There are many things - as you have pointed out - that would help sell Falmer out. The design of the badge is, for me, way down that list.

Oct 11, 2005
London
It's almost as if you have approached the club with a commercial proposition and have been rejected and now you're campaigning on NSC to get your work reconsidered. I'm sure I'm wrong. I'm sure that buried in all your contributions to NSC must be some examples of your logo designs for us to consider?

Sorry, but I'm pretty confused by your hostile response.. Let me state to you very clearly that I have not approached the club with a commercial proposition. When I approached the club in August I made it very clear that I would not be seeking a fee for my work; as a supporter of 22yrs being able to help the club with my professional skills would be an honour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here