Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Ridiculous Tedious Striker Situation

LennyTee

Feb 28, 2019
Bedford
Thought we looked better when March went off last night, he has a habit of crossing into empty spaces just look up for a second can’t be that difficult
Crossing into the empty space where a little chap used to be! Who would then miss generally, but at least he was there.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think we need to sign a striker, have done since Muzza wandered over the hill. The bargain bucket youngsters approach may work, and I am very pleased to see Fergie get off the mark, but, let’s be honest, our striker recruitment has been poor for years, and in stark contrast to our buys in every other position…

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think we need to sign a striker, have done since Muzza wandered over the hill. The bargain bucket youngsters approach may work, and I am very pleased to see Fergie get off the mark, but, let’s be honest, our striker recruitment has been poor for years, and in stark contrast to our buys in every other position…
….you should have mentioned it before

LennyTee

Feb 28, 2019
Bedford
The thing is though, where do you find him. We had a little fella playing for us and for whatever reason, he f***ed us off (looking at you Potter). He wound up defenders, he wound up the oppo fans but unfortunately he also wound up people on here because he didn't score everytime he touched the ball, so he was crap.
That lad in this team would still have lost yesterday, but his annoying shithousery would have rattled a few feathers. And if he scored 8 goals all season, so what. His presence and shithousery is enough to make any defeat tolerable.
Could have been a legend, wanted to be a legend, but shit out of our arses because we can't appreciate the here and now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Under RDZ we're bound to score and concede a load of goals in open games. I like this. I'd rather take the risks we're taking and push forward than watch a procession of 1-0 or 0-0 type games. I totally accept that we'll let in more goals now, but we'll get a few as well.

The need for a striker is for the other sort of games. The lower half teams who come to the amex and set up to frustrate us. Those are the games we need different options up front for. We've had dozens of examples of this over the last few years where we've drawn or lost against sides we've dominated.

Trossard tends to get muscled out or takes too many touches against low blocky type teams. Welbeck is never going to get goals against anyone, probably Undav likewise. Ferguson is an intriguing option, but I understand RDZ may find it too soon to give him this responsibility. Sima, Adringa, Zeqiri, Connolly, none of them seem to be scoring the goals to demand a chance in the short term.

The transfer market is the ideal way of solving the problem. But getting someone is is unlikely, so next best to me is to give Ferguson a run, especially in tight home games. I see persisting with Trossard as the furthest forward as the worst of the options. Not least as you're misusing one of our best attacking talents.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Always think it is funny when people use Einstein to look clever... when the quote they use in reality came from some bang average American writer.
The point is the statement is correct, regardless of who coined it.

For me the definition of insanity is, when it is pointed out what a useless venal gang of fools the present Tories are, someone says 'whatabout Jeremy Corbyn'.

Or the suggestion that the failure to sign a 20 goal a season striker is either a conspiracy hatched by the sinister Tony Bloom and his evil employees, or the result in the inability of Tony Boom and his rubbish employees to identify decent strikers, or the unwillingness of tight-fisted Tony bloom to pay the going rate.

Whatabout no decent oven-ready striker would come here because we are a rubbishy lower league club punching above our weight?

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Under RDZ we're bound to score and concede a load of goals in open games. I like this. I'd rather take the risks we're taking and push forward than watch a procession of 1-0 or 0-0 type games. I totally accept that we'll let in more goals now, but we'll get a few as well.

The need for a striker is for the other sort of games. The lower half teams who come to the amex and set up to frustrate us. Those are the games we need different options up front for. We've had dozens of examples of this over the last few years where we've drawn or lost against sides we've dominated.

Trossard tends to get muscled out or takes too many touches against low blocky type teams. Welbeck is never going to get goals against anyone, probably Undav likewise. Ferguson is an intriguing option, but I understand RDZ may find it too soon to give him this responsibility. Sima, Adringa, Zeqiri, Connolly, none of them seem to be scoring the goals to demand a chance in the short term.

The transfer market is the ideal way of solving the problem. But getting someone is is unlikely, so next best to me is to give Ferguson a run, especially in tight home games. I see persisting with Trossard as the furthest forward as the worst of the options. Not least as you're misusing one of our best attacking talents.
What about Weghorst of Bumley, currently out on loan somewhere (better than the Championship)?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Two things on this :

Undav was out of the squad yesterday 'for personal reasons' so he isn't going anywhere :dunce:

Ferguson yesterday looked like a talented lad who turned 18 a few weeks ago and stumbled through an Arsenal f*** up to get himself a goal. It will be brilliant for his confidence, but I watched him play directly in front of me. He's not the next 'Glen Murray', he didn't 'hold up the ball' and 'bring others into play'. He looked like what he is, a young prospect who looked good, was mainly out of his depth but got a couple of lucky bounces.

'He should start in front of Welbeck' is almost as stupid as 'this Brexit sounds like a good idea'. Can we hope he manages to maintain levels that justify him being around the first team squad for the rest of the season and get some minutes.

Calm down FFS :facepalm:

Last edited:

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
I still think Maupay was fine. Yes, he missed a shed load of sitters but at least he was there to miss them. For what he cost and for what we pay, he was very good value. Welbeck, don't rate him at all. Never have. But I think Solly March is one of our better players so what do I know.
Lets hope he keeps that record up on Tuesday !!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What about Weghorst of Bumley, currently out on loan somewhere (better than the Championship)?
He struggled in the Premier League. As they do. We wouldn't sign a 30 year old.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Oi oi Transfer windows open BW2 returns 🤔
HNY Jonesy🤣

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
The thing is though, where do you find him. We had a little fella playing for us and for whatever reason, he f***ed us off (looking at you Potter). He wound up defenders, he wound up the oppo fans but unfortunately he also wound up people on here because he didn't score everytime he touched the ball, so he was crap.
That lad in this team would still have lost yesterday, but his annoying shithousery would have rattled a few feathers. And if he scored 8 goals all season, so what. His presence and shithousery is enough to make any defeat tolerable.
Could have been a legend, wanted to be a legend, but shit out of our arses because we can't appreciate the here and now.
Sounds like Ashley Barnes 🤣
he too got dogs abuse on here
right place very often
just not clinical enough

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He struggled in the Premier League. As they do. We wouldn't sign a 30 year old.
Oh well, never mind.

I am definitely in the 'we are fine' and 'BW2? OUT!' camp, anyway.

Incidentally, every time I hear Weghorst's name I think of this:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Two things on this :

Undav was out of the squad yesterday 'for personal reasons' so he isn't going anywhere :dunce:

Ferguson yesterday looked like a talented lad who turned 18 a few weeks ago and stumbled through an Arsenal f*** up to get himself a goal. It will be brilliant for his confidence, but I watched him play directly in front of me. He's not the next 'Glen Murray', he didn't 'hold up the ball' and 'bring others into play'. He looked like what he is, a young prospect who looked good, was mainly out of his depth but got a couple of lucky bounces.

'He should start in front of Welbeck' is almost as stupid as 'this Brexit sounds like a good idea'. Can we hope he manages to maintain levels that justify him being around the first team squad for the rest of the season and get some minutes.

Calm down FFS :facepalm:
"............mainly out of his depth but got a couple of lucky bounces."

Yes, but isn't that the most important thing? How often does Danny Welbeck get a couple of lucky bounces, or Solly March for that matter? If they did, wouldn't it be great......... many more goals!

Arsenal's first goal yesterday, for instance, relied on a "couple of lucky bounces" - the ball was kicked into the area, riccocheted pinball style off Dunk then Colwil - and dropped at Saka's feet. How often have we had balls bouncing around the penalty area, but never quite dropping for us over the years I wonder.

Bring on the lucky bounces, I say - and give 'em plenty of game time!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sounds like Ashley Barnes 🤣
he too got dogs abuse on here
right place very often
just not clinical enough
Aye

1672608803040.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"............mainly out of his depth but got a couple of lucky bounces."

Yes, but isn't that the most important thing? How often does Danny Welbeck get a couple of lucky bounces, or Solly March for that matter? If they did, wouldn't it be great......... many more goals!

Arsenal's first goal yesterday, for instance, relied on a "couple of lucky bounces" - the ball was kicked into the area, riccocheted pinball style off Dunk then Colwil - and dropped at Saka's feet. How often have we had balls bouncing around the penalty area, but never quite dropping for us over the years I wonder.

Bring on the lucky bounces, I say - and give 'em plenty of game time!

Sue White?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here