Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The reputation thing: keep it or bin it?

The reputation system

• Keep it

Votes: 100 28.8%
  • Bin it

Votes: 247 71.2%

• Total voters

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
I actually think there has been less in the way of daft and offensive posts on here lately, except from newbie trolls.

It may be more to do with the recent "clean-up" but if it's partly down to people wanting to avoid negative reps, then it's been a good thing.

Don't see that it's doing any harm.

I have to disagree.

When you read personal abuse, aimed at you, by a faceless person, who is doing so, for some reason in relation to doing a 'good thing', I see plenty of harm in that.

It is the internet version of wearing a mask and then walking up to a complete stranger, and launching a verbal volley of abuse just for the sake of it.

No harm! You have to be kidding?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I actually think there has been less in the way of daft and offensive posts on here lately, except from newbie trolls.

It may be more to do with the recent "clean-up" but if it's partly down to people wanting to avoid negative reps, then it's been a good thing.

Don't see that it's doing any harm.

I actually agree with this and would change my poll vote if I could! :lolol:

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
The trouble is that it would be great if it was limited to, say, player rumours, or obviously offensive or informative posts.
However, trivial opinions can receive an equally weighted thumbs up or down, which makes the usefulness of the whole facility questionable.

I'd get rid to be honest.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I have to disagree.

When you read personal abuse, aimed at you, by a faceless person, who is doing so, for some reason in relation to doing a 'good thing', I see plenty of harm in that.

It is the internet version of wearing a mask and then walking up to a complete stranger, and launching a verbal volley of abuse just for the sake of it.

I can only see a positive rep for your ticket offer???

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I have to disagree.

I think you mis-understand me. Of course, any such behaviour is absolutely shocking, and the less of it we have on here the better, but I honestly think I've seen far fewer binfest threads on here the last few weeks.

Not saying it doesn't happen anymore, and certainly wouldn't defend it at all.

"No Harm" is a reference to having the "reputation" on here, not a reference to online abuse from faceless bullies hiding behind their keyboard.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think you mis-understand me. Of course, any such behaviour is absolutely shocking, and the less of it we have on here the better, but I honestly think I've seen far fewer binfest threads on here the last few weeks.

Not saying it doesn't happen anymore, and certainly wouldn't defend it at all.

"No Harm" is a reference to having the "reputation" on here, not a reference to online abuse from faceless bullies hiding behind their keyboard.

I think you make a very good point. My personal view is we should wait much longer to see if it is a good thing or an evil thing. I'm on the fence at the moment.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
I just think it's ridiculous that people hide their name is slagging you off and also some of the things they give you bad rep for is stupid, not fussed though if people find it fun.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
this

maybe we're waiting for the poll to swing the other way to "keep it" before the decision is made

Alternatively I was on holiday in a place where web access was very expensive (my last purchase was $27 for 50 minutes) and was with my family where I'd kinda promised to keep offline and, you know, be on holiday and that.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
YAY! Now people will stop having a go at me for having more rep than them. :lolol:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
My original post, prior to submission, did also include...

"(But I'll leave it on for another hour or two so the 'we hate rep' mob can give me some positive rep.)"

Make it so we can see who left comments for the last few hours?! Pwetty please. Will be a laugh.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It doesn't seem to have worked. I think it would have stood more of a chance if not anonymous.

There are people, like Samej/NMH, that seem to see it as a badge of honour to have a bad rep. Bin it.

Is that because someone called you are terminal bore and it has eaten away at you ever since not knowing ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It doesn't seem to have worked. I think it would have stood more of a chance if not anonymous.

I disagree on that - I think if it wasn't anonymous people would just reply in kind to those who have left reputation for them both -ve and +ve.

But the system is clearly flawed in the current guise too.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was just getting into the habit of leaving (NE) at the end of my reps aswell! Nevermind, night night rep feature. It would be interesting to know who said what about you though, if it could be shown....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here