Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The reputation thing: keep it or bin it?

The reputation system

• Keep it

Votes: 100 28.8%
  • Bin it

Votes: 247 71.2%

• Total voters

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I would have said keep it, its new at the moment so possibly over used as a novelty and once things had settled down, the good posters with a poor rep probably would have gone up and the bad posters probably would have gone down in the rep stakes.

I don't see the harm but then my rep score means nothing to me, (i don't even know what it is until i post this)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Bin it. It's great on some technical forums where you can tell the people who give the best responses to queries, but it's got no place on a forum which is all about opinions. On NSC it isn't 'Rep' it's 'Clique factor'.

Or don't bin it if the Facebook kids like it. I'm tempted to say that like the rest of the grown-ups I don't give a shit what anybody thinks about me or my opinions, but I do know that some people have been upset by some negative comments - and unlike posts you can't report them or debate with the people who disagree with you.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I actually think there has been less in the way of daft and offensive posts on here lately, except from newbie trolls.

Its not a way of shaming fucktards, for them its a badge of honour. Take a look at samej's red stripe as a case in point. Or Bozza topping up his green stripe, not really a balanced tool is it?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
looking at the straw poll, the 'bins' have it by a long way.

Is this a democracy or Boztatorship? :smile:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I think the problem with it was the origin. I believe the main reason/call for a reputation system was to stop the 'i've heard that so and so is going to sign for us this week' rumour threads with no legitimate sources? And thus NSC posters would spend half their day being messed around with by wind-up merchants. But that main problem will disappear tomorrow with the close of the transfer window and those kind of threads had already all but disappeared once the season had started. Now it's being used as a tool to just Neg Rep those whose opinions you disagree with, which discourages debate. It may sound hypocritical but I didn't mind it until I got 3 ridiculous neg reps; one for supporting the poster of the inflatables thread, and two thinking my reasons for not getting a ST were poor, which made me see that it was just being used harmfully by those who didn't agree with your opinions.

Oh well, a good experiment nonetheless!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's mainly a tool being used by dullards with no bollocks to leave anonymous abuse. Keep it only if we can see who the eunuchs are.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Is that because someone called you are terminal bore and it has eaten away at you ever since not knowing ?

It hasn't eaten away at me. I'm an open person. I don't think one should be able to criticise from behind an anonymous cloak. I am sure I bore a lot of people. If someone is going to make the effort to tell me they bore me, they could at least tell me who they are.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I disagree on that - I think if it wasn't anonymous people would just reply in kind to those who have left reputation for them both -ve and +ve.

But the system is clearly flawed in the current guise too.

Yes, true. There did seem to be a have a +ve rep in return once someone had posted that they gave a rep in their favour.

Flawed entirely. Perhaps we are just an odd forum.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
when you first posed the question I didn't really care either way.

But now, when I see another 'What are those green bars....' thread. Or infact, any thread started related to 'rep', I think BIN it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
when you first posed the question I didn't really care either way.

But now, when I see another 'What are those green bars....' thread. Or infact, any thread started related to 'rep', I think BIN it.

Those threads were fascinating!

Neg rep!

I particularly liked the daily threads of "Which **** thinks I wear a Man Utd shirt to a Brighton game?" :dunce:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Disaster - it's no coincidence that the recent school holidays have gone by fairly untroubled with the rep in place. Watch it disintegrate from now on.

The campaign to bring it back starts here.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here