Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The reputation thing: keep it or bin it?

The reputation system

• Keep it

Votes: 100 28.8%
  • Bin it

Votes: 247 71.2%

• Total voters

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The only time I'd like to see a rep is when someone is posting about a new signing, then it's easy to see if they are someone that's been right before. But basically I'd make it so that only admin can give out that rep. I don't see a lot of point in the current rep system - I've given out some rep to people who have been helpful/funny, but it's just s silly popularity contest (IMO).

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Pointless, bin it.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
Keep it, BUT

- Make all comments public. If you negative rep somebody without a comment, your name doesn't show up. Only when you start being a c*nt do you lose privacy.

- Make the rep bar less obvious, don't know how possible this is BUT I think if you put it under the location/posts/vCash it would be less obvious, and therefore less of a problem.

- Make the amount of rep points a user can add/subtract easier to understand. At the moment, the amount of time you've been on this site, amount of posts, amount of rep etc affects how much you effect other peoples rep. Just make it people with under 100 posts can't share reputation, and people with negative rep have 1/2 the rep power of somebody with +rep.

- Any thread about "post for rep" is an instant ban. Anybody begging/asking for rep loses rep for being a f*cking sad bastard.

- Give it time, it's going to take a while for people to get used to it. Have a similar poll in 2 months/new year/whenever if people still don't like it then think about it's future. It hasn't had time to settle in yet. It's the new play-thing, everybody is chucking out rep because they can. In a couple of months, people will only give out rep when they feel they need too. The good posters will rise to the top, and people like me will end up with a couple of red bars. :)

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i only discovered what it was yesterday, and came very quickly to the conclusion it was shit

get rid

edit: actually, ive just seen i now have TWO green things, so id like to change my vote to keep it

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Bin it!

Firstly, it stifles debate as people may feel unable to express unpopular views that may be genuinely held, or views that are easily misrepresented. The rep system makes it possible for people with one perspective to discredit someone's view by ensuring the person who holds the view has a bad rep.

Secondly, as mentioned already, the rep system encourages covert snideness through the anonymous comments.

Thirdly, there's a degree of arselicking and 'I'll rep you if you rep me' going on which throws the reliability of the whole rating system out of the window.

After you've been on NSC for a while, you get to know what each and every regular is like. We don't need a rep system for this.

Having said that, it has been interesting to try out a new system on NSC. Indeed, it's been great experiencing various new developments on NSC over the last few months, such as Tapatalk, the blog, the new ticket exchange etc. Keep the experiments coming :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A like/dislike individual posts would get the thumbs up from me :thumbsup:
I can go with that - just a simple way of saying 'you're talking rubbish pal' or 'i'm with you matey'

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's a meaningless load of shite which only the really low on self esteem seem to care about.

In other words, bin it.

Completely agree - rep added.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
If you keep it Bozza, I personally will be happier to have a bad rep than a good one.
It's for gayers, so it's understandable that many on here will enjoy waving their limp wrists in delight at calling names anonymously.

The old reverse psychology trick eh? ;-)

I can go with that - just a simple way of saying 'you're talking rubbish pal' or 'i'm with you matey'

Well that post is 'rubbish pal', and I don't need a "simple way of saying" when I can use words on here.
That will just enable some plonkers to go through threads clicking 'like' or 'dislike' and add no worthwhile contribution of their own.

Spect you'd like that.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well that post is 'rubbish pal', and I don't need a "simple way of saying" when I can use words on here.
But a like/dislike would give us the option of, just when we want to say we liked a joke or some news etc, and we'd still be free to add more if we had something worth saying.
That will just enable some plonkers to go through threads clicking 'like' or 'dislike' and add no worthwhile contribution of their own.
If they are plonkers, it might be best if the just use a button rather than polute a thread with nonsense.
Spect you'd like that.
Blimey, what did I do to piss you off? Unfortunately I'm more of a 'why use one word when ten will do' kinda guy, so just going through threads clicking like/dislike wouldn't be fore me, but I would use it sometimes.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've voted to keep it for the fine being as I don't think it's been in place long enough to tell. I would give it another six months for that reason.

But a like/dislike would give us the option of, just when we want to say we liked a joke or some news etc, and we'd still be free to add more if we had something worth saying.
If they are plonkers, it might be best if the just use a button rather than polute a thread with nonsense.
Blimey, what did I do to piss you off? Unfortunately I'm more of a 'why use one word when ten will do' kinda guy, so just going through threads clicking like/dislike wouldn't be fore me, but I would use it sometimes.

The only thing it might do, is lessen the number of people saying "This".
But then, they'd miss out on having their name connected with approval of a post - so they'd prefer to just POST "like".

Don't take it too personal like, but the concept isn't really what North Stand CHAT is meant to represent after all.

I say this as a founder member on the site/s that became NSC, from back when posters numbered a modest couple of dozen.
(Names included (if I remember rightly) Hart's Shirt, Simster, Chappers (to name a few). Soon along came Lord Bracknell, Roz, TLO, Lush, Uncle Spielberg, Ken Livingston Seagull, London Irish, Yorkie, Ricky Marlowe's Hair Piece (respects), and it rolled on rather well from there)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Bin it! Firstly, it stifles debate as people may feel unable to express unpopular views that may be genuinely held, or views that are easily misrepresented.

If anyone is genuinely too scared to say what they really think because the little green dot next to their name on a football messageboard might turn red, then I have no interest in what their real view is anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here