Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The problem with our fans as I see it

Tony BCFC Saunders

Feb 2, 2013
YES I remember your old ground kept away fans with no roof great if it was sunny but everytime we were there it PISSED DOWN great Fish & Chips though and good night life

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
Agree with what your saying but Barnes doesn't do himself any favours and seems to cancel himself out.

Brilliant one week , bell end the next.

Pretty accurate to be honest, he was literally immense against the gooners and look decent today until he was a nipple and got himself sent off. Shows he cares a great deal but that cost us the three points today. If we had all 11 men on the field we would have almost won for sure.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Just don't rate him and felt that we had enough cover for CB anyway, he just seems to be inconsistent IMO.

Also don't like a big name pushing squad members back down the line when i just feel he isn't that good, it upsets the dressing room unnecessarily. It's nothing personal with him he is just average at best IMO.

Fair enough mate.

I just see it as decent cover with the added bonus of aerial prescence which we have been lacking. surely he would only be average in the Prem? Champ level he should be more than comfy IMO.

D

Deleted member 2719

Fair enough mate.

I just see it as decent cover with the added bonus of aerial prescence which we have been lacking. surely he would only be average in the Prem? Champ level he should be more than comfy IMO.

I agree his aerial presence is worth having, we will have to see how much he actually "wants it" hope i am wrong.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
At Withdean two seasons ago we had a loyal base off five thousand fans and to them 8th in the championship would be dream land.To spend £4.5 million on two strikers and have 2 England players in the back four would of made them call for the men in white coats to take you away.

This league is so strong and last week we pushed a top 4 premier league side all the way. I think that what Poyet has done for the Albion is more than any fan could of dreamed off

Now the problem we have 22,000 new fans that want instant success and except us to be in the top two. They didn't go to the likes of Oldham and Bury etc away.

Swansea a club very similar to us took four seasons making steady progress to get into the premier league. Gus Poyet ( if not driven out ) will get us there not this season but within the next three.

Look at the shit on the site given to Ashley Barnes today for getting sent off.He was the best player on the pitch last Saturday and is 21 and will be a great player yet some on here make him out to be Tiltman or Farrington.

We are a club on the up and patience is needed from some off our fans. I applaud the majority on here that seem to understand where the club is going.

Great post, the club is deffinetly on the up, as you said it just takes time!.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I agree his aerial presence is worth having, we will have to see how much he actually "wants it" hope i am wrong.

Id forgotten all about him To be honest.. Didnt even know he was available......Time will tell.

He appears to be a nice enough fella so dont agree with others that he will brings disharmony to the camp.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
At Withdean two seasons ago we had a loyal base off five thousand fans and to them 8th in the championship would be dream land.To spend £4.5 million on two strikers and have 2 England players in the back four would of made them call for the men in white coats to take you away.

This league is so strong and last week we pushed a top 4 premier league side all the way. I think that what Poyet has done for the Albion is more than any fan could of dreamed off

Now the problem we have 22,000 new fans that want instant success and except us to be in the top two. They didn't go to the likes of Oldham and Bury etc away.

Swansea a club very similar to us took four seasons making steady progress to get into the premier league. Gus Poyet ( if not driven out ) will get us there not this season but within the next three.

Look at the shit on the site given to Ashley Barnes today for getting sent off.He was the best player on the pitch last Saturday and is 21 and will be a great player yet some on here make him out to be Tiltman or Farrington.

We are a club on the up and patience is needed from some off our fans. I applaud the majority on here that seem to understand where the club is going.

The only part i totally agree with is your final sentence...........

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Agree with what your saying but Barnes doesn't do himself any favours and seems to cancel himself out.

Brilliant one week , bell end the next.

i think i agree with this.........inconsistent and obviously has a temper problem which players like Pugh will target and utilise to their own advantage...

doubt he cost us the game as it sounds like we were shit but as you say , doesn't do himself many favours.......needs a good talking ..!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Lost interest after the first sentence.

If my granny had balls she would be my grandad.

In 1980 we were in the top flight.

In 1991 we were in a play off spot with a worse squad.

With what we have we are underachieving. End of.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004

Not read the rest of the thread cos I'm drunk and impatient, but first of all this shit about 5000 loyal Withdean fans: There were more than that and MANY MANY more who went on an occasional/semi-regular basis (as I did due to geography). I went to both Oldham and Bury away, and I'm pretty sure more of those 22,000 "new" fans went to Withdean and supported us during the dark times than you give credit for.

Yes, this is probably the best time to be an Albion fan since I was alive, but that doesn't mean we can't be disappointed in a shit performance. Likewise, I'm a big fan of Ashley Barnes (who btw hasn't been 21 for a few years now), but just because he has received some ridiculous and unjust criticism in the past doesn't mean we should ignore the fact that he acted like a petulant child today. And the fact that we have spent £4.5 million on two strikers and have two England players in the back 4 inevitably and understandably leads to expectations that these players will perform better than than the players we bought for a bag of training kit.

The vast vast majority are patient and are delighted with the way the club is going, but we lost today in a fairly embarrassing manner, and telling people to be happy about this because things used to be worse is both patronising and staggeringly naive.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Lost interest after the first sentence.

If my granny had balls she would be my grandad.

In 1980 we were in the top flight.

In 1991 we were in a play off spot with a worse squad.

With what we have we are underachieving. End of.

Totally agree. I can't stand the 5000 at Withdean argument. It's one step up from the 2000 at Gillingham, which in itself is only just ahead of 150 at Grimsby on a Tuesday night etc..

The team needs to start winning. End of.

The Convict

Jan 20, 2013
He's 21 ffs so he is the only player in the world that has to be brilliant every week or face a barrage of abuse from pricks like you !

So if we finish 9th, one place better than last year I would consider that progress with the same players as last year.

With the additions of Kuszczak, Bridge, Bruno, Upson, Hammond, Crofts, Orlandi, Lopez and Ullo, is it progress?

This argument that we should be higher up the table because we have better players is flawed. It is predicated on the basis that all the other teams around us are standing still in terms of improving their playing squad which is clearly not the case. Just look at some of the expensive investment which has taken place elsewhere. Everyone is fighting to get out of this division so the idea that our squad has some sort of divine right to do so is very naive.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
He's 21 ffs so he is the only player in the world that has to be brilliant every week or face a barrage of abuse from pricks like you !

23 actually, but he does get more than his share of grief. Undeniably has a problem with petulance on the pitch which he does need to get a grip of.

Back to the original points. Yes we all know where we've come from and how bad it was but this isn't the same club as it was back then. Yes we should all feel very lucky at what we have now but to not look at what is actually happening on the pitch week after week would be a mistake What it really boils down to is that we HAVE invested a large amount of money on the squad which are absolutely underperforming in a large number of games.

I don't think anyone really expects us to be brilliant for 90mins every game but we are getting suckered time after time by late goals and not making the most of the periods of play where we are battering teams especially early on. So many games this year we have dominated and should be well clear before we get to the arse clenching last 10mins.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
This argument that we should be higher up the table because we have better players is flawed. It is predicated on the basis that all the other teams around us are standing still in terms of improving their playing squad which is clearly not the case. Just look at some of the expensive investment which has taken place elsewhere. Everyone is fighting to get out of this division so the idea that our squad has some sort of divine right to do so is very naive.

I'm fed up of hearing this.... We are strengthening with better players that the teams around us; look at palace for instance. We are underachieving at the moment plain and simple.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon

Excellent post !
Needed saying......in over 45 years supporting the Albion I am happier now than ever with the football we play and the facilities we enjoy. I just don't get this sack the manager shit every time we have a bad result. Until we pummel teams every week and have some styles to adapt to every situation we face, we are not ready. Why the rush? We have had more than our fair share of dark times (not that life is fair) and you need the bad times to really appreciate the good.....and for me boy is it good now.
Do I want to go to the so called promised land of the Prem and lose every week? To be honest I am more than happy competing in this league in front of full houses at the Amex week in week out watching lovely progressive tippy tappy football until we and Gus are ready to go further. We will win some and lose some.
IF LIVE SPORT WAS PREDICTABLE NO ONE WOULD WATCH IT.
When you support a Club you should support everything ......and that includes all the players and the Manager.
If you don't like it, don't go !

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The reason why we are not in a play off spot is that we don't have a 25 goal striker in this division.

End of.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't think JCLs are anything to do with it.

The people slagging off Gus etc are largely the same people who were on NSC moaning five years ago!

Some people are just more negative/unrealistic than others.

This is what I was going to say.

We have some very fickle supporters who will never be happy. It's the same people on here who used to call for McGhee and Slade to be sacked every time we lost a game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here