Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The problem with our fans as I see it

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
At Withdean two seasons ago we had a loyal base off five thousand fans and to them 8th in the championship would be dream land.To spend £4.5 million on two strikers and have 2 England players in the back four would of made them call for the men in white coats to take you away.

This league is so strong and last week we pushed a top 4 premier league side all the way. I think that what Poyet has done for the Albion is more than any fan could of dreamed off

Now the problem we have 22,000 new fans that want instant success and except us to be in the top two. They didn't go to the likes of Oldham and Bury etc away.

Swansea a club very similar to us took four seasons making steady progress to get into the premier league. Gus Poyet ( if not driven out ) will get us there not this season but within the next three.

Look at the shit on the site given to Ashley Barnes today for getting sent off.He was the best player on the pitch last Saturday and is 21 and will be a great player yet some on here make him out to be Tiltman or Farrington.

We are a club on the up and patience is needed from some off our fans. I applaud the majority on here that seem to understand where the club is going.

Been a fan for over 40 years, but because I didn't frequent the Withdean much does not make me any less of a supporter. Being windswept and soaked is not my idea of fun, although we did sponsor the match in 2001/2 when we were promoted. I would like to think that our fans in the main are thoughful and informed. But it must be said that sometimes our manager, god bless him, makes some strange choices in team selection and tactics with even more strange after match comments. So the general comments about our fans is not warranted. We are not good enough to go up or even reach the play offs at the moment, it would be fantastic if we did, but not likely. So I just seek to be entertained and watch a game where players, half my age earning ten times my wage, put some effort in and think about what they are doing. Its not much to ask given the resource, that we the paying fans contribute towards, and time that the club has.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think this idea of thousands of new fans is a bit of a myth. There are thousands of fans who didn't want to go to Withdean, thousands who only went to the big games at the Goldstone, and thousands who liked the Albion but just didn't go to games, but even when they weren't attending games they were still supporting the Albion. This idea that we have a stadium full of part time Arsenal or Chelsea fans is rubbish IMO. In the west lower where I sit, all I see is people I have known for ages either from the Albion or the town.

I think the criticism is mostly an age thing, the younger you are the less you have experienced the 'bad' times and the less patience you have. That is natural and all part of the process of being a fan, you have to have seen the bad times to appreciate to good ones. (For instance I saw Richard Tiltman play so can laugh at this idea that Barnes is useless) We have more fans active fans now, so more good ones, more bad ones and more quiet ones...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That is a little unfair, and probably arrogant. It's simply a "I'm a better fan because I went to withdean" post. Some of the most negative fans on here have a long history of supporting the club. Some of the newest fans are among the fans who are more balanced in their response to losses. I have friends among the new 22,000 fans and they are very reasonable when we don't win.

I been since 76 and I'm being negative. Purely and simply down to the FACT we have better talent sitting on our bench than on the pitch and the stubbornness of Poyet, and his loading of the middle of the park is stopping us from taking games to the opposition away from home. Lacking the ability to win games from a losing position.

B52

Jan 23, 2013
Super Seaford From the South
Would you rather only the 5000 fans from withdean turned out at the Amex every week and no new fans ever turned up? The club needs the new fans.

When we inevitably drift back down the football league at some point in the (hopefully distant) future perhaps some of your so-called JCLs will have got the "Brighton bug" during the good years and will stick by the club. Every fan has to be a JCL at some point. I don't see why people have to treat them as second class just because you went to Gillingham.

Spot on!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Look at the shit on the site given to Ashley Barnes today for getting sent off.He was the best player on the pitch last Saturday and is 21 and will be a great player
He's 23. Otherwise, no disagreement here.

C

CT1

At Withdean two seasons ago we had a loyal base off five thousand fans and to them 8th in the championship would be dream land.To spend £4.5 million on two strikers and have 2 England players in the back four would of made them call for the men in white coats to take you away.

This league is so strong and last week we pushed a top 4 premier league side all the way. I think that what Poyet has done for the Albion is more than any fan could of dreamed off

Now the problem we have 22,000 new fans that want instant success and except us to be in the top two. They didn't go to the likes of Oldham and Bury etc away.

Swansea a club very similar to us took four seasons making steady progress to get into the premier league. Gus Poyet ( if not driven out ) will get us there not this season but within the next three.

Look at the shit on the site given to Ashley Barnes today for getting sent off.He was the best player on the pitch last Saturday and is 21 and will be a great player yet some on here make him out to be Tiltman or Farrington.

We are a club on the up and patience is needed from some off our fans. I applaud the majority on here that seem to understand where the club is going.

Only joined NSC a few weeks ago and I was thinking of deleting my account because some of the things that are posted about our players and manager makes me feel sick. But posts like this keep me on this forum because it shows some of our real fans with valuable opinions actually belong to north stand chat, and those loyal that experienced real hardship at the Withdean, and indeed latter Goldstone, are still around! Don't get me wrong, i'm all for new fans, but as long as they show support for the team and don't just moan like a b*tch as soon as something doesn't go to plan or a player makes a mistake (barnes yesterday). I myself am a relatively new fan as i wasn't old enough to go to the Goldstone and thus only had season tickets in the last 6 years of the withdean. However I can still appreciate how far we've come and that getting to the premiership isn't going to come in just two or three or four or maybe five seasons. Why can't so many new fans feel the same?

Thanks for a very good and encouraging post!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

I think you will find, it's what Tony Bloom has done for the club. Any manager worth his salt could have done what Poyet has with the backing he has had.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Only joined NSC a few weeks ago and I was thinking of deleting my account because some of the things that are posted about our players and manager makes me feel sick. But posts like this keep me on this forum because it shows some of our real fans with valuable opinions actually belong to north stand chat, and those loyal that experienced real hardship at the Withdean, and indeed latter Goldstone, are still around! Don't get me wrong, i'm all for new fans, but as long as they show support for the team and don't just moan like a b*tch as soon as something doesn't go to plan or a player makes a mistake (barnes yesterday). I myself am a relatively new fan as i wasn't old enough to go to the Goldstone and thus only had season tickets in the last 6 years of the withdean. However I can still appreciate how far we've come and that getting to the premiership isn't going to come in just two or three or four or maybe five seasons. Why can't so many new fans feel the same?

Thanks for a very good and encouraging post!

Everyone is entitled to have a moan. Not every fan has rose tinted glasses. We are all here because we share a bond. We all support the albion. Some will criticise the team and some wont. It doesn't make either a good/bad fan. If anything the moaners moan because the care. If everyone got on and agreed with eachother it would be a very dull board. As a jcl i can understand this is all new to you ;)

C

CT1

Everyone is entitled to have a moan. Not every fan has rose tinted glasses. We are all here because we share a bond. We all support the albion. Some will criticise the team and some wont. It doesn't make either a good/bad fan. If anything the moaners moan because the care. If everyone got on and agreed with eachother it would be a very dull board. As a jcl i can understand this is all new to you ;)

Its not that new, iv had it all my life from my dad who comes out with similar crap to some of the people on here. Perhaps I made it sound like people can't moan at all, Indeed they can. People have a right to moan about Barnes' stupidity yesterday, but its when people start saying it means hes shit which I can't accept. The same applies to a lot of things. I didn't make myself clear enough in my previous post.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Think certain managers would off done better than Gus but not many

It's all about the tools you have to work with. McGhee keeping us in this league at Withdean without a pot to piss in far outweighs anything Poyet has done, as does Coppell taking us to the last game of the season with only 4 points from 12 games. Kenny Jackett, Chris Powell and Nigel Clough, there are three managers who haven't got f*** all to work with, but all holding there own. Poyet has had just about everything he has ever asked for within reason, he must be the envy of just about ever manager in this division. Yet all he does is f***ing moan and whinge, instead of delivering the goods. I have no doubt we will get ourselves back into the mix(as we should), then when push comes to shove he will revert to type, go defencive and come up short again.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick

Excellent post

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I hear people keep saying with the budget spent on the squad we should get into the PL. Can someone tell me do we have the biggest budget in this league and if we do not, where do we come in the league for cost of assembled squads. I would like to know which teams have the most money in this league

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Poyet is like the prick teaser at the disco, who looks the part and gives you the eye all night and talks a good game. So you spend all you dough, on the promise that you might get your leg over, only to be left frustrated with a peck on the cheek at the end of the evening, with the promise of more to come. Quite frankly, I'd rather have the old slapper, who you buy half a lager, but does the full works up some back ally, before getting you back to her place and on the nest all night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here