Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The problem with our fans as I see it

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Would you rather only the 5000 fans from withdean turned out at the Amex every week and no new fans ever turned up? The club needs the new fans.

When we inevitably drift back down the football league at some point in the (hopefully distant) future perhaps some of your so-called JCLs will have got the "Brighton bug" during the good years and will stick by the club. Every fan has to be a JCL at some point. I don't see why people have to treat them as second class just because you went to Gillingham.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I don't think JCLs are anything to do with it.

The people slagging off Gus etc are largely the same people who were on NSC moaning five years ago!

Some people are just more negative/unrealistic than others.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
i think we got the team to get us in the play offs but were not putting the performances like we did on saturday against arsenal in the championship

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That is a little unfair, and probably arrogant. It's simply a "I'm a better fan because I went to withdean" post. Some of the most negative fans on here have a long history of supporting the club. Some of the newest fans are among the fans who are more balanced in their response to losses. I have friends among the new 22,000 fans and they are very reasonable when we don't win.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I think the stadium has a lot to do with it. You build a stadium for 30,000 people, the maths would suggest that compared to WD, as a club you obviously are going to get a least 17,000 new STH added 5,000+ who used to go to WD. The hype around being the club with biggest home attendances, people start to have higher expectations. We get bigger crowds then a lot of premiership clubs. It's the nature of the beast, the 17,000 new STHs want results. I fully expect us to finish somewhere between 7th and 12th and would think that it will be at least 2 more seasons in this league before we go up. Although we have the highest gates of any team, we are only mid table in the budgets and are managing to hang on to the top clubs. I do not see what is so special about the PL, high prices and 4 or 5 really rich clubs. We would never challenge for the top 4 and I would suggest we would only ever be fighting Relegation because of financial fair play. I would rather be in this league and be a decent team who is always there or there abouts

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I think the stadium has a lot to do with it. You build a stadium for 30,000 people, the maths would suggest that compared to WD, as a club you obviously are going to get a least 17,000 new STH added 5,000+ who used to go to WD. The hype around being the club with biggest home attendances, people start to have higher expectations. We get bigger crowds then a lot of premiership clubs. It's the nature of the beast, the 17,000 new STHs want results. I fully expect us to finish somewhere between 7th and 12th and would think that it will be at least 2 more seasons in this league before we go up. Although we have the highest gates of any team, we are only mid table in the budgets and are managing to hang on to the top clubs. I do not see what is so special about the PL, high prices and 4 or 5 really rich clubs. We would never challenge for the top 4 and I would suggest we would only ever be fighting Relegation because of financial fair play. I would rather be in this league and be a decent team who is always there or there abouts

really?
do those two statements addup?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
No problem with Barnes, or the squad apart from the signing of Upson.

Poyet tinkers too much IMO he has a play off squad here and should do it, if he doesn't, it is thank Gus, try Chelsea.

Moulds, whats so wrong with Upson mate?

I personally think its a quality loan arrangement.....

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
really?
do those two statements addup?

Yes, it may have escaped your notice, we do have the biggest home gates in this league and yet we do not top it. Why? Simple Cardiff have more money. Look at the teams above us, pound for pound they are financially better off then us.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
At Withdean two seasons ago we had a loyal base off five thousand fans
"Look how far we have come." Check :thumbsup:

£4.5 million on two strikers and have 2 England players
"Look how far we have come" again. Check :thumbsup:

would of made them
Confusing "of" with "have." Check :thumbsup:

last week we pushed a top 4 premier league side all the way
And lost. Yawn. Check :thumbsup:

more than any fan could of dreamed off
Confusing "of" with "have" and "off" with "of." Inspired! Check :thumbsup:

the problem we have 22,000 new fans that want instant success and except us to be in the top two. They didn't go to the likes of Oldham and Bury etc away.
Shoe-horn in a reference to 'new fans' whilst mentioning unglamorous away trips to bleak northern outposts. Check. :thumbsup: (Minus points for not saying "on a cold Tuesday night in February." Must try harder).

Tiltman or Farrington.
Extra points for referencing poor players from the 80s as an extra "look how far we have come." Check. :thumbsup:

patience is needed from some off our fans.
Blending the call for patience with another "off" / "of" f***-up. Check. :thumbsup:

File under "Look how far we have come" posts, if that particular archive is not already full to bursting.

Boring.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
i just hear from so many fans that we are not ready to go up and i wouldn't want us to go up and lose every week

Its understandable that you wouldnt want to get crushed week in week out in the prem but, it doesnt answer my question.

Can you honestly say that any club which have gone up from the championship to the prem have thought they would hold there own the following season?

IMO your never "Not ready" to go up. You just get promoted and take it from there. The money would become available to strengthen somewhat so its not like you need a prem side in the championship in order to hold your own in the prem. Restructuring occurs in the summer, the deadwood move on, new signings come in and off you go. If you get relegated then so be it..... there are no guarantees IMO.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
"Look how far we have come." Check :thumbsup:

"Look how far we have come" again. Check :thumbsup:

Confusing "of" with "have." Check :thumbsup:

And lost. Yawn. Check :thumbsup:

Confusing "of" with "have" and "off" with "of." Inspired! Check :thumbsup:

Shoe-horn in a reference to 'new fans' whilst mentioning unglamorous away trips to bleak northern outposts. Check. :thumbsup: (Minus points for not saying "on a cold Tuesday night in February." Must try harder).

Extra points for referencing poor players from the 80s as an extra "look how far we have come." Check. :thumbsup:

Blending the call for patience with another "off" / "of" f***-up. Check. :thumbsup:

File under "Look how far we have come" posts, if that particular archive is not already full to bursting.

Boring.

:rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::rave::clap2::clap2: very well put.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
At Withdean two seasons ago we had a loyal base off five thousand fans and to them 8th in the championship would be dream land.To spend £4.5 million on two strikers and have 2 England players in the back four would of made them call for the men in white coats to take you away.

This league is so strong and last week we pushed a top 4 premier league side all the way. I think that what Poyet has done for the Albion is more than any fan could of dreamed off

Now the problem we have 22,000 new fans that want instant success and except us to be in the top two. They didn't go to the likes of Oldham and Bury etc away.

Swansea a club very similar to us took four seasons making steady progress to get into the premier league. Gus Poyet ( if not driven out ) will get us there not this season but within the next three.

Look at the shit on the site given to Ashley Barnes today for getting sent off.He was the best player on the pitch last Saturday and is 21 and will be a great player yet some on here make him out to be Tiltman or Farrington.

We are a club on the up and patience is needed from some off our fans. I applaud the majority on here that seem to understand where the club is going.

Jeez!!!! you speak so much sense:thumbsup: -------- I have a very small part of me that loves Littlehampton cos I've got a little un as well:(

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, it may have escaped your notice, we do have the biggest home gates in this league and yet we do not top it. Why? Simple Cardiff have more money. Look at the teams above us, pound for pound they are financially better off then us.

yet you say we'd be fighting relegation because of fair play?
surely with fair play that would take away their advantage?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Anything better than 10th is good enough for us and were looking like we should achieve that, which is yet more progress under Poyet.

So if we finish 9th, one place better than last year I would consider that progress with the same players as last year.

With the additions of Kuszczak, Bridge, Bruno, Upson, Hammond, Crofts, Orlandi, Lopez and Ullo, is it progress?

D

Deleted member 2719

Moulds, whats so wrong with Upson mate?

I personally think its a quality loan arrangement.....

Just don't rate him and felt that we had enough cover for CB anyway, he just seems to be inconsistent IMO.

Also don't like a big name pushing squad members back down the line when i just feel he isn't that good, it upsets the dressing room unnecessarily. It's nothing personal with him he is just average at best IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here