Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The problem with our fans as I see it

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think JCLs are anything to do with it.

The people slagging off Gus etc are largely the same people who were on NSC moaning five years ago!

Some people are just more negative/unrealistic than others.

This is correct. I've been reading Nsc for years in it's various guises and owners and it has always been this way.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Elder and Revell were our January signings in 2007. I wish a few on here would of seen them play.

Conversely, buying world beaters like Upson, Bridge, Orlandi

and we're under performing.

Whilst Cardiff, Hull, Watford, Palace, Leicester .... keep marching on to the PL (3 out 5 will get there). Total focus from them; not allowing an erection and 10 days of zzzzzzzzzzzzz from the hype of an FAC tie.

League is where it counts, and it means everything.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
"Look how far we have come." Check :thumbsup:

"Look how far we have come" again. Check :thumbsup:

Confusing "of" with "have." Check :thumbsup:

And lost. Yawn. Check :thumbsup:

Confusing "of" with "have" and "off" with "of." Inspired! Check :thumbsup:

Shoe-horn in a reference to 'new fans' whilst mentioning unglamorous away trips to bleak northern outposts. Check. :thumbsup: (Minus points for not saying "on a cold Tuesday night in February." Must try harder).

Extra points for referencing poor players from the 80s as an extra "look how far we have come." Check. :thumbsup:

Blending the call for patience with another "off" / "of" f***-up. Check. :thumbsup:

File under "Look how far we have come" posts, if that particular archive is not already full to bursting.

Boring.

:thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
i dont feel were ready to go up

This sort of comment really rankles me and strikes me as rather deluded. There is no prescribed term suggested for being in the Championship to ensure survival in the Prem. Get used to the idea that whenever we go up, be it this year or in ten years time, the odds are that we will lose most games and come straight back down.

I don't think JCLs are anything to do with it.

The people slagging off Gus etc are largely the same people who were on NSC moaning five years ago!

Some people are just more negative/unrealistic than others.

This, but it's easier to blame the JCLs, many of which saw the club play at the Goldstone anyway.

Its about the here and now in Football though

Again, exactly. We have drawn more games than anyone else and peoples expectations are based on what they have seen on the pitch this season, not what was happening 5 years ago. We gave Arsenal a run for their money and whilst no one genuinely expects that performance week in week out, we conceded too many equalizers that should have been avoided. Had we converted just 4 of those draws into wins that would be another 8 points.

i just hear from so many fans that we are not ready to go up and i wouldn't want us to go up and lose every week

Get used to the idea. It will almost certainly happen whenever we go up. It's how you bounce back making good use of the parachute payments that counts.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I like to read the posts of the travelling fans in respect of players abilities etc. The fans that go to Blackburn, Sheffield, Middlesbro etc are they fans that went to Rochdale, Hartlepool,Doncaster etc. They are the people who have been with us for many years and tend to have a more balanced perspective of the Club and the players performances.

People who are listening to the radio and coming straight on here to slag off players/staff are not really worth the time. Unfortunately, it would appear that we have a lot of them at present with agendas.

Agree with this, although I think most sensible fans know that we have no devine right to be in play offs this year. It is actually probably a NSC minority who like to think they are a majority who think we are under achieving.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree with this, although I think most sensible fans know that we have no devine right to be in play offs this year. It is actually probably a NSC minority who like to think they are a majority who think we are under achieving.

But we have no divine right to promotion/play-offs in any year!! Not sure what your point is. For those of you that think we should wait another three or four years before getting promotion, do you stop to consider whether the players we have such as Bridcutt will be prepared to wait that long. If our season tails off like it did last year, I suspect Bridcutt would jump at the first opportunity to play for a premiership club, as would the likes of Buckley and anyone else that may catch the eye of a mediocre premiership club. Players have limited careers and if they can get a decent prem contract sooner rather than later then they would be mugs not to take it.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
yet you say we'd be fighting relegation because of fair play?
surely with fair play that would take away their advantage?

What fair play is that then. I was not aware that the premiership had signed up to fair play at the moment. I would be amazed if QPR could spend the sort of money they do. That's why they are desperate to stay in the league, they would be in all sorts of trouble if they came down

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
To be fair, lunging in two-footed and getting sent off early in the game is always going to draw some criticism
I'll wait to see it on TV tonight but my first reaction was that it was a bad tackle, but that it wasn't a 2-footed lunge. I may have to stand corrected after I see it on the TV later.

Tony BCFC Saunders

Feb 2, 2013
Be patient lads build your future on solid foundations look at my team they are going up and down like a YOYO......... Poyet is passionate manager as he was a player and has the background and pedigree to get you there eventually........ remember Liam Brady came from Celtic to manage Albion. Don't make the same mistake twice who you going to replace him with anyway?

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
At Withdean two seasons ago we had a loyal base off five thousand fans and to them 8th in the championship would be dream land.To spend £4.5 million on two strikers and have 2 England players in the back four would of made them call for the men in white coats to take you away.

This league is so strong and last week we pushed a top 4 premier league side all the way. I think that what Poyet has done for the Albion is more than any fan could of dreamed off

Now the problem we have 22,000 new fans that want instant success and except us to be in the top two. They didn't go to the likes of Oldham and Bury etc away.

Swansea a club very similar to us took four seasons making steady progress to get into the premier league. Gus Poyet ( if not driven out ) will get us there not this season but within the next three.

Look at the shit on the site given to Ashley Barnes today for getting sent off.He was the best player on the pitch last Saturday and is 21 and will be a great player yet some on here make him out to be Tiltman or Farrington.

We are a club on the up and patience is needed from some off our fans. I applaud the majority on here that seem to understand where the club is going.

Whilst most of us can appreciate the sensible tone of the post and not the usual over-reaction we get that greets a defeat I cannot agree with all of what you say.

I think to claim we have 22,000 new fans is very misguided. Whilst we have undoubtedly picked-up some new supporters, the vast majority of our attendances are true long-term Albion fans. Granted, many of those lapsed in their support during the few years prior to the opening of the Amex but they are Albion fans all the same.

But with regards to the main point of your post, I think you will find it is just a reflection of modern football support in general. For some reason supporters want it all and they want it now. We all desire success but the clamour on here for an instant promotion to the Premier League is quite frightening...Some demand that we have to go up this season but this is only our second season back in the Championship.

As you say, patience is indeed required and I actually believe we will miss out this season but next season could really push for automatic promotion.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Last edited:

lfc

Sep 2, 2011
Your season this season has reminded me a lot of Liverpools, funnily enough....let me explain....both good sides, nowhere near as good as the top sides in the respective divisions, but good nonetheless, and certainly on paper, as good as the sides challenging, i.e. for the Champions League 4th spot and the playoffs. Both with young managers with certain styles that they try and play, with mixed results. Both capable of beating any side in the division on their day, but also inconsistent.

But the main thing, and it links in with the inconsistency thing, is both continually fail to win the important games that could propel them to that next level. For example, when Liverpool need to string a couple of wins together and they would be back in challenging for 4th, they seem to lose them. Whereas they tend to win the run of the mill games and just plod along quite well. Brighton seem to do similar, every time you have had a "must win" game, or a game where you would say, "right, win this and it gives us some breathing space from the teams below, or puts us back in the playoff picture" it seems you lose it. Whereas again, you tend to win the ones that don't seem to have that pressure on them.

I think thats where the frustration of some of your fans may stem from, just a way of looking at it like?....

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011

Not a Devine right, but the vast majority of NSCers last August hoped and thought top 6 would be attained. Think back to the acquisitions of Bruno, Kuzschak, Bridge, Orlandi.

Not we getting the excuses in very early, whilst positive and forward thinking Cardiff, Leicester, Palace, Watford, and Hull (on varying budgets) fight for 3 points every game, and will cross the "not ready for PL yet" worry, when they get there with that first mega cheque from the PL.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Be patient lads build your future on solid foundations look at my team they are going up and down like a YOYO......... Poyet is passionate manager as he was a player and has the background and pedigree to get you there eventually........ remember Liam Brady came from Celtic to manage Albion. Don't make the same mistake twice who you going to replace him with anyway?

Hello Tony,welcome to NSC...

Good post-Yes Gus and his academy/style of play and everything else will not only get us there-but unlike QPR we won't have to spend millions to stay there either-others cannot see this right now.

I can wait but will 25,000 others? we need to get it right,to hold up our attendances too-

We could be lucky and suddenly click make the play offs and go up,it can be done,if we (Brighton) are honest we are not ready,nowhere near it on the field and perhaps not quite off the field either,as clearly we cannot compete wage wise,we spend £5m on players last year,£2m this year so unless we are dreaming,at this stage we cannot afford the Premier division,that said,if it comes our way,we mcst go for it

A final thought from me,The Amex is allowing Brighton to become the club it always had the potential to be,but did not always achieve,to finally become a well established Championship level club.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Your season this season has reminded me a lot of Liverpools, funnily enough....let me explain....both good sides, nowhere near as good as the top sides in the respective divisions, but good nonetheless, and certainly on paper, as good as the sides challenging, i.e. for the Champions League 4th spot and the playoffs. Both with young managers with certain styles that they try and play, with mixed results. Both capable of beating any side in the division on their day, but also inconsistent.

But the main thing, and it links in with the inconsistency thing, is both continually fail to win the important games that could propel them to that next level. For example, when Liverpool need to string a couple of wins together and they would be back in challenging for 4th, they seem to lose them. Whereas they tend to win the run of the mill games and just plod along quite well. Brighton seem to do similar, every time you have had a "must win" game, or a game where you would say, "right, win this and it gives us some breathing space from the teams below, or puts us back in the playoff picture" it seems you lose it. Whereas again, you tend to win the ones that don't seem to have that pressure on them.

I think thats where the frustration of some of your fans may stem from, just a way of looking at it like?....

There were a lot of similarities last year eg both creating stacks of chances and half chances, hitting the woodwork, and not having the right strikers to tuck them away.
Also, both had good cup runs.

This season, after LFCs difficult first 4 fixtures, they've gradually been progressing under the radar of big-club knockers, and goal scoring is no problem now.

The Albion's scoring problem is not fixed at all, and yet again we got fixated with a cup game, whereas LFC concentrating more on what counts most the League.

Joe Nobody

Dec 27, 2008
Hove
It is the negative side of the Internet. A small number of people who bang out loads of posts on forums do not represent the opinion of everyone and that fact needs to be accepted. Many of the people with more balanced expectations are still enjoying a few drinks on the way back from the game (and I am usually one of them) or are the silent majority. The same applies to the people from other clubs that feel the need to stir things up on here. The Arsenal fans I have met on the train to away games have always been good football blokes who respect us for going to Harlepool etc to watch our team. Same with Sheff Wed who always have a lot at England games.

lfc

Sep 2, 2011
There were a lot of similarities last year eg both creating stacks of chances and half chances, hitting the woodwork, and not having the right strikers to tuck them away.
Also, both had good cup runs.

This season, after LFCs difficult first 4 fixtures, they've gradually been progressing under the radar of big-club knockers, and goal scoring is no problem now.

The Albion's scoring problem is not fixed at all, and yet again we got fixated with a cup game, whereas LFC concentrating more on what counts most the League.

The way the teams seem to play is remarkably similar I agree. But my main point was more, that both teams seem to fail to win the really important and what you'd possibly call, season defining, or season changing, games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here