Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL Tour de France, thread.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Sky I think are going to face the problem a few teams have faced over the years and that's deciding which rider to support the most in a split GC/Sprint team.

I honestly think Boasson Hagen will end up being Sky's big star not Wiggins.

His talent upside is huge. But thus far he's had to ride the sprints without much organised support in front of him.

If Wiggins doesnt look like he's got what it takes to be a legit GC rider they might swing more support BH way next tour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've been fairly dismissive about this years Alps.
So imagine my surprise when, last night, I checked out todays stage.

It's a bit of a beast, isn't it.

It certainly should answer a few questions:-
Who's serious about 3rd place?
Are we correct to right off Wiggins?
Can Ryder hold on any longer?
Does Lance want to go to Paris?

It should be a good day.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've been fairly dismissive about this years Alps.
So imagine my surprise when, last night, I checked out todays stage.

It's a bit of a beast, isn't it.

It certainly should answer a few questions:-
Who's serious about 3rd place?
Are we correct to right off Wiggins?
Can Ryder hold on any longer?
Does Lance want to go to Paris?

It should be a good day.

That's a serious finish. Is this where Contador takes over the yellow?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I wouldn't be surprised if a few non name climbers attacked today and one or two get away with enough break to win the stage.

And I'm still wondering if Contador actually has the legs this year to ride away from Schleck like he has in previous tours.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey no one saw that coming.
To think we still have the Pyrenees to come.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My 5 year old son, was watching today.
Still stating he now wants to be a 'race rider' instead of a postie (like me).
During the adverts he came back to me with an old copy of Cyclesport, he'd schnuffled away, to show me which bike was his favourite.

Sadly, for both of us, he wants a red Pinarello Dogma.
I didn't have the heart to tell him it costs more than our car, and Daddy could never afford to buy one for himself, let alone a fickle 5 year old! :lol:

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
During the adverts he came back to me with an old copy of Cyclesport, he'd schnuffled away, to show me which bike was his favourite.

I didn't have the heart to tell him it costs more than our car, and Daddy could never afford to buy one for himself, let alone a fickle 5 year old! :lol:

Can't you steal other peoples birthday money from their birthday cards to help save up? I thought you all did that, along with faking overtime claims!!!

Anyway, glad to hear the youngsters still like the bikes. God I am old!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Your son has impeccable taste though. Who wouldn't be beguiled by those wavy seat stays and front forks? Available for a bargain price in Team Sky colours. Pinarello Dogma :drool:

Looks like the curse of a prediction from me has struck Evans today. First to seventeenth in one stage losing more than eight minutes. We are now down to a two horse race for yellow. Schleck will have to keep attacking through the Pyrenees as he will need a big gap before the time trial. Tomorrow I am expecting another breakaway to stay away. Probably including Pineau and Chateau battling over the polka dot jersey points early on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry TB I should have expanded further (didn't want to spoiler so soon after the finish).
I meant the duel up the climb, it's no wonder nobody else could ride with those 2.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't you steal other peoples birthday money from their birthday cards to help save up? I thought you all did that, along with faking overtime claims!!!

I wish I could just leave this sh*t be, I have tried.
But I wouldn't walk into your work and instantly assume you are a no good thieving piece of scum who would happily steal money from children, and commit fraud, so I would appriciate you giving me the same respect.

For the record, I love being an honest, reliable, postie trusted by many folks who I provide a bloody good service, doing that a bit extra, whenever needed.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I wish I could just leave this sh*t be, I have tried.
But I wouldn't walk into your work and instantly assume you are a no good thieving piece of scum who would happily steal money from children, and commit fraud, so I would appriciate you giving me the same respect.

For the record, I love being an honest, reliable, postie trusted by many folks who I provide a bloody good service, doing that a bit extra, whenever needed.

Take no notice brother, you're better than that.

Anyway, good to hear your 5 yr old getting into the swing of things. My 11 yr old, as he was reeling off a lsit of sprinters from the last few tours just asked me where Tom Boonan (sp.?) was. Alas I couldn't answer :blush:, and I just said I think he's retired. It was great taking the whole family to London and Goudhurst hill two summers ago and as a result my 11 and 12 yr old, who I'd already encouraged an interest in anyway, both watch Tour de France coverage with me regularly now.

Anyway, looks like your earlier post has been answered today :

Yes Lance wants to go to Paris.
No Ryder can't hold on any longer.
Yes we're correct to write off Wiggins.
Evans certainly can't be serious about 3rd place after todays stage :lol:

Anyone hazard a guess as to how much time Contador will take off Schleck in the time trial ?, as it seems that's all it's down to now as it doesn't appear that Schleck will be able to put any serious time into Contador on any of the remaining mountain stages.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tom suffered from tendonitis in his left knee, a week before the tour, a fall in his national event was the final straw.

The thing is Andy has obviously been living and breathing time trial since the route was announced. That won't be enough to beat AC but he might be able to scare him.
Nevertheless the more he can get the happier he'll be.

In hindsight I'm perhaps a little surprised after AS 4-5 attack Contador didn't have a cheeky go, just to see what was in Andy's tank, although I guess that's what the Tourmelat is for.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and I tried out the patented Linus Gerdermen (sp) down hill position, on Sunday. (as nearly used by Sammy Sanchez today)

Fookin scary it was too, I won't be doing that again, any time soon, although it was quick.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Tom suffered from tendonitis in his left knee, a week before the tour, a fall in his national event was the final straw.

The thing is Andy has obviously been living and breathing time trial since the route was announced. That won't be enough to beat AC but he might be able to scare him.
Nevertheless the more he can get the happier he'll be.

In hindsight I'm perhaps a little surprised after AS 4-5 attack Contador didn't have a cheeky go, just to see what was in Andy's tank, although I guess that's what the Tourmelat is for.

Thanks for the Tom Boonan update.

Re: Contador having a go back at Schleck once he'd covered everything Schleck tried. Funnily enough my 12 yr old asked the very same thing. I replied that probably Contador didn't want show his hand to Schleck this early by launching any attacks that Schleck finds easy to cover, and also just covering Schleck gives nothing away for now as to how much Contador has in the tank. Would have made for an even better stage had Contador tried Schleck out once or twice today though. Although I'm not complaining about what was another great stage to watch today.

We were all surprised by just how much time Evans lost today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh and I tried out the patented Linus Gerdermen (sp) down hill position, on Sunday. (as nearly used by Sammy Sanchez today)

Fookin scary it was too, I won't be doing that again, any time soon, although it was quick.

Somehow think if I attempted anything remotely resembling that position on my full suspension mountain bike, that I've hybridised with city slick tyres and rear panniers, would make me look even more of a plonker than I already look on my short trips to and from work :lolol: I get all excited as it is if I hit 30mph downhill ! :blush:

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Jens Voight (sp?) is an animal. Today he was unbelievable. He went so far past the pain barrier. Incredible.

Spoon

May 31, 2009
Aparently Cadel has cracked his elbow, explaining his performance today. Fair excuse I reckon!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Jens Voight (sp?) is an animal. Today he was unbelievable. He went so far past the pain barrier. Incredible.

Agreed.

Seeing the contrast of expression on his face compared to Conatdors and Schlecks when he'd dropped back to them on the final climb for a couple of kilometers was incredible ! :bowdown:

Bjarne Riis must have been well proud of him today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here