NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Got to be Cav, again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The question for the 2nd day running is, was the Cav or Renshaw's win?

A second, top quality, brilliant ride from Renshaw.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The question for the 2nd day running is, was the Cav or Renshaw's win?

A second, top quality, brilliant ride from Renshaw.

Agree that Renshaw done his job superbly for the second day on the trot. Victory for both Renshaw and Cav again today.

Fair play Tyler Farrar for trying to hold onto Cav, despite his fractured wrist.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Didn't see this mentioned on ITV4's coverage today, despite hearing Paul Sherwin run through a list of the horrendous injuries Robbie McEwen has suffered in the past few years during the live commentary.

Robbie doesn't sound too happy, naturally, and apparently may not make the start line for tomorrows stage. Be surprised if he doesn't line up though as he seems to be a pretty tough character.

VeloNews.com - Robbie McEwen knocked off bike in finish-line mishap

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Well I miss two days, Geraint Thomas only 20 seconds off yellow.

Cav breaks down in a real outpouring and this quality fight takes place over who has the best bike, fighting in cleats is never going to look good :lol:

[yt]KveDxORwcw8[/yt]

Attachments

• Cav.jpg
    Cav.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 158

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm curious about today, on paper it looks fairly straightforward, as s/f as the Alps can be.
But I've a feeling (hope) that it's going to be quite interesting and the GC will go some way to taking shape for Paris.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Another good ride from Chavanel to go back into Yellow again as Cancellara is currently lookng like losing up to 15 mins. None of the big guns dropped.

Shame Gerrant Thomas couldn't sneak into yellow today but good to see Nicholas Roche up to 8th in the GC now. Think someone earlier on in the thread said Roche for a top 20 finish ?, which might turn out to be a good shout, and I suppose would see him finish in white ?

Long way to go yet though, and hopefully tomorrow will see things start to take a bit of shape.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Another good ride from Chavanel to go back into Yellow again as Cancellara is currently lookng like losing up to 15 mins. None of the big guns dropped.

Shame Gerrant Thomas couldn't sneak into yellow today but good to see Nicholas Roche up to 8th in the GC now. Think someone earlier on in the thread said Roche for a top 20 finish ?, which might turn out to be a good shout, and I suppose would see him finish in white ?

Long way to go yet though, and hopefully tomorrow will see things start to take a bit of shape.

Scrub that about the Roche wearing white. Just being reminded now about Andy Schleck :facepalm::blush:

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Well Wiggos blew up and lost time today.

Andy Schleck looks very good and rode away from Contadaor, Evans solid and Stat Brothers Canadian mate hanging in there.

But poor old Larry, is this now just a goodbye circuit, I expect to see him waving and stopping to sign autographs in the Pyrenesse next weekend.

Phew rest day tomorrow and no world cup, what will we watch on the box.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Sky screwed up big time.

Why they sent their riders to the front to set the pace I have no idea.

I'm sure Wiggins wouldnt have blown up like he did if they'd sat back and let the the other teams do the work at the front of the GC Peleton.

Very bad tactical decision imo.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Sanchez looked good last night.

He'll be one to watch as he was the only one who could go with Schleck last night and given there's the Pyrenees coming up where Euskatel like to do well he'll be a good chance for a top 5 finish.

He is an awesome descender so he could pinch a bit of time coming down some of the mountain stages on one day at least.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It seemed to take an age for BW to cross the line.
Ryder was dropped 3kms before Brad, but still came in 30 secs quicker.
Worryingly that still wasn't an HC climb, only a cat 1 (you know what I mean), it really doesn't look good for Brad.

If Evans carries on I'll be eating humble pie, although I still think he's top 5 at best, not podium.

The main question has to be:-
Can Andy Schleck do that 2-5kms out, because he's not going win by racing away in the last few hundred metres.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Sorry don’t know how to add links etc but. ( maybe someone can help)

Did anyone see the fight at the end of the stage on Friday between Carlos Barredo of Quickstep rider and Rui Costa from Caisse De’Pargne.

I first caught a glimpse on a Sky News sports bulletin on Saturday morning.

Obviously something has happened between them during the stage. When the stage is over and they’re all just stopping Barredo takes the front wheel off of his bike and attacks Costa with it. Costa appear to get it off of him and then there’s a few punches followed by hand bags and very quickly broken up by everybody else.

Just to confirm what I had seen I went into you tube and typed “ Fight Tour De France 2010” in the search field and there’s a couple of different angles of the incident, I would think that they are from spectators mobile phones..

All very unnecessary but very funny all the same.

I still think this race is Contador’s to lose!

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
See post about 9 above for Barreda punch up

Apparently the tactic Sky were using on the second to last climb was a common one used of setting the pace to prevent attacks, the logic being if you don't bette teams and riders will. Where as if you set a pace that is still very comfortable for climbers they will probably not feel the need to step up and attack you.

This got Bradley into the top group and on the wheels of the top GC climers, it was then down to him to hang on. It looked like he over cooked it rather than perhaps riding his own pace and dropping off then coming back to the group like the canny canadian Ryder kept doing and what Cadel Evans does so well.

The interesting thing being said is that this could be the cleanest race for years as all riders appearto be struggling and having good and bad days. Greg Le Mond has been saying this for years that a clean race would see loads of changes and people suffering on different days, making grand tours much more exciting to watch and unpredictable.

I am enjoying this podcast at the moment for my xtra Tour fix

VeloCast Cycling Podcast | A Cycling Podcast Featuring The Week Mountain Bike News

Plus

http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/itv-tour-de-france-podcast/id163658288

The Cyclingnews.com Podcast - Download free podcast episodes by www.cyclingnews.com on iTunes.

And hopefully now Ned has done his world cup stint him and Matt will do another no holds barred 'the real peloton' podcast.

Rest day for us but they will all be out riding to stop themselves seizing up.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The problem with that though is Sky didn't have the cattle to make it really work.

Once Flecha was spent all Wiggins had was Lovkvist to do the bullock work for him.

Still think Sky should have ridden a more conservative race on the first real challenge in the mountains.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apparently the tactic Sky were using on the second to last climb was a common one used of setting the pace to prevent attacks, the logic being if you don't bette teams and riders will. Where as if you set a pace that is still very comfortable for climbers they will probably not feel the need to step up and attack you.

This got Bradley into the top group and on the wheels of the top GC climers, it was then down to him to hang on. It looked like he over cooked it rather than perhaps riding his own pace and dropping off then coming back to the group like the canny canadian Ryder kept doing and what Cadel Evans does so well.

The problem with that though is Sky didn't have the cattle to make it really work.
Looks like your both right.
Somewhere in NSC's library, is me banging on about the Sky roster looking more like a one day classics team, instead of 3 week grand tour contenders.
Last year BW had VandeVelde right next to him, for 90% of the race, and a lot of that was spent behind Dave Millar.
That calibre of rider was never in the Sky squad, leaving Brad over exposed, because he's never going to able to ride off the back and then on again (feck knows how anybody does that!).

If Sky are serious about getting a Brit to the top of the Podium, they have to spend even more for next year, or sidestep Wiggins in favour of Thomas but only if he can transform himself into a high mountains man.
If he can't then it wont happen in the 5 predicted years, cos Brad just can't cut it, that high up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lucky I'm not bitter about not winning those 2 bikes, or else I would be really mardy. :lol:

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It just got harder for Bradley as Gerrans has withdrawn from the tour as he broke his arm in one of those crashes yesterday.

When Brailsford said Team Sky would produce a clean British winner of the tour within 5 years it was aimed at riders like Peter Kennaugh or Ben Swift, who are not even in the TDF team yet. I think Bradley is just in there for high GC finish (1st maybe), test the water and get the team recognised and promoted.

I have been a great fan of Geraint especially on the track where he is fantastic, I would imagine he could be a great classics rider and be in the mould of Miller as a all rounder, great time trialer.

We start the journey to get down to the Pyrenean part of the tour from tommorow and cannot wait, I have even bought a Union Jack and a Welsh flag to hang off the stationary (and very slow moving bikes) for the Tourmalet stages a week Tuesday/Thursday and the Bordeaux > Pauillac Time trial on the Saturday.

Lets hope the rest of team sky, Larry and the others all get down there in one piece.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Grrr I'm still to bitter and jealous to talk about your trip to The Tourmalet, :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here