Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL Tour de France, thread.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The forgotten rider in the GC grouping is Menchov.

The last few years he's always seemed to find some bit of bad luck to lessen his chances of being right up there.

So far this tour though he's ridden a quiet safe race and seems to have avoided most of the falls.

I'm going to have a $20 on him finishing top 5.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The forgotten rider in the GC grouping is Menchov.

The last few years he's always seemed to find some bit of bad luck to lessen his chances of being right up there.

So far this tour though he's ridden a quiet safe race and seems to have avoided most of the falls.

I'm going to have a $20 on him finishing top 5.

Woah there fella. If anyone is gonna end up in a hedge its Menchov, does anyone run a book on that? Can't remember the last time Denis, Denis didn't have a crash of some sort in the Tour. Of course now I have said that he will finish strongly.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The thing with AS being all alone now, means he'll actually ride for himself.
His first reaction to any attacks won't be to look over his shoulder for big bruv.

I missed Farrar had broken his wrist, I genuinely thought he'd go well, plus I have a little soft spot for Garmin (no great surprise there!).
I left Wiggins alone as I've always felt last year was the one, and not just the start of something. Although I'm loving his post race interviews, clean, tidy, looking fresh, talking well, compare that to Evans after tuesday.

As for mug tipping, (your 100% right Pantani) and today, it's difficult without Cav.
All of a sudden his competition actually all look a little average, so I'm going to go for Gerald Gloick (sp) from Milram, just for the shear hell of it.

If Lance does not improve I think we could have a very interesting tour in the mountains. Saxo Bank will not be strong enough to control the pace without Frank, Radio Shack may not be inclined to set the pace without Larry involved in the GC, Cervelo, BMC, Astana are not strong enough either. We could see Sky controlling the race for Wiggins and Thomas. It is all up in the air at the moment, this is a good thing.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Disappointed with Cavenish's effort yesterday, he may have a bad injury or other excuse but to just give up 'cause he's not going to win is a bit disrepectful to Renshaw who worked his nuts off to put him in the position, he may find the team aren't so keen to work for him in future.
Seems he was (is) almost unbeatable if taken in by a train of 6 riders at full speed until the last 100 metres but like yesterday when it's a bit of a free for all he's not so quick. Prove me wrong today Cav.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Disappointed with Cavenish's effort yesterday, he may have a bad injury or other excuse but to just give up 'cause he's not going to win is a bit disrepectful to Renshaw who worked his nuts off to put him in the position, he may find the team aren't so keen to work for him in future.
Seems he was (is) almost unbeatable if taken in by a train of 6 riders at full speed until the last 100 metres but like yesterday when it's a bit of a free for all he's not so quick. Prove me wrong today Cav.

Cavendish is rapidly becoming a bit of an arse

If he's winning stages, then he can get away with it, but if he's a loser and a cock, he's in trouble

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

If he's winning stages, then he can get away with it, but if he's a loser and a cock, he's in trouble

Becoming??! He's always been an arse, its just his power has allowed him to get away with it. He is cycling's version of Ashley Cole!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Becoming??! He's always been an arse, its just his power has allowed him to get away with it. He is cycling's version of Ashley Cole!!

Which is why I said "If he's winning stages, then he can get away with it"

Which one of Girls Aloud is he going to marry?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Which is why I said "If he's winning stages, then he can get away with it"

Which one of Girls Aloud is he going to marry?

Marry?! Heaven forbid, He's far too immature/self centred for marriage!! (but I've always taken a shine to Kimberley!).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

A la yesterday I'm on a highlights day today, so I don't know if I'm speaking out of turn.
But I like Cav, yes he's an arse, an arogant/confident arse (delete as appropriate) but he's our arse, and he was at least, stickin it right up um.

My only draw back re Cav, only came to light for me, in my post first thing this morning.
He doesn't actually have that much competition out there, when he's 100%.
The old guard are exactly that, and his contemparies, in the peleton, are merely old lead out train guys, and look it.

Is he that good or is he just not being pushed?

Hopefully a new 'firebrand' is just around the corner to really test him.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
just back from a holiday in the Pyrenees where preparations to welcome the Tour are well on track with roads being re-surfaced and re-marked. The riders will do Tourmalet twice this year - it's awesome lost in low cloud at the moment with sheep cows horses and even llamas wandering the roads. Have to say I think they are asking too much of the riders in the mountains and wouldn't be surprised if someone was seriously hurt - no wonder they need to use stimulants to keep with the pace.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If Lance does not improve I think we could have a very interesting tour in the mountains. Saxo Bank will not be strong enough to control the pace without Frank, Radio Shack may not be inclined to set the pace without Larry involved in the GC, Cervelo, BMC, Astana are not strong enough either. We could see Sky controlling the race for Wiggins and Thomas. It is all up in the air at the moment, this is a good thing.

The way I see it BMC will be forced to end up pace making a bit in the mountains because as soon as the GC riders make their first tentative moves in the mountains Evans will become the yellow jersey wearer.

Andy S probably isn't as exposed as it might seem as he can go with any rider pretty much for acceleration up a mountain.

Radio Shack seem to be grinders now with neihter Lance, Kloden nor Leipheimer having the explosiveness in their legs anymore.

Contador has a better supporting cast than it might appear. It all depends on what Vino does, if he's riding for Contador its a great asset. If not he's a liability.

Cervelo won't be a factor in the mountains as it;s pretty clear that team is for Thor. Sastre will have to fend for himself on the whole.

I actually think two teams you didnt mention will come to the fore once the mountains begin.

They being Liquigas and Rabobank.

Both have been smoking the pipe back in the field while the other teams have been jostling for position.

Liquigas is my favourite team (being a Kreuziger fan) and they are set up nicely to have at a minimum a 3 man attack in the mountains with Kreuziger, Basso and Szmyd.

They also have some decent domestiques if they are required.

Same goes for Rabobank. With Menchov and Gesink they have a decent 1-2 combo (If they can stay on the bike and not end up lying on the road)and also have some handy domestiques in the squad.

Caisse d'Epargne will also probably have a few riders up there at some stage too.

Personally I don't like Sky's chance much when they get up into the mountains.

I think Wiggo will have to ride how Cadel Evans did in his Lotto years and just ride the wheels of other teams and move when they move.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But I like Cav, yes he's an arse, an arogant/confident arse (delete as appropriate) but he's our arse, and he was at least, stickin it right up um.

I have to disagree there.

I think Cav is one of those athletes who to borrow a term from other sports, gets white line fever.

He feels he has let his team down if he doesnt win more than any other rider in the tour.

The way he shed tears on the podium today shows how much it means to him and his team.

In my opinion he hasn't learnt how to control his emotions yet and that's why he sometimes comes across as a bit of a twit.

Away from the track and most people seem to speak of him as being a different person to that track persona.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Great ride by Renshaw today, Oscar Ferire (sp) did everything but throw a stick in his wheels.
Garmin won't want to look back at that lead out train, their last fella posibly Dean was so busy watching Cav he nearly ran Farrar off the road.

I don't think we are disagreeing TB, I guess arse isn't an obvious term of affection!.

I think Sky is a little too unknown to judge.
There's no way they'd leave it all up to BW, and other that GT on Tuesday they've had a pretty easy time of it.
The Alps aren't the most difficult, this year, so we'll have a good idea where they are at, early next week. If they can't cope this weekend BW is doomed in the Pyrenees.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Contador has a better supporting cast than it might appear. It all depends on what Vino does, if he's riding for Contador its a great asset. If not he's a liability.

He did all right last year with Armstrong riding against him, er, with him ...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He did all right last year with Armstrong riding against him, er, with him ...

:lol: Gotta feel for poor Alberto. Astana do know how to pick 'em.

To be honest, what with the Vino doping and the resulting controversy surrounding Astana a few years ago I'm surprised Contador rides for them. Not that I have much of a clue about how riders end up with certain teams.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lol: Gotta feel for poor Alberto. Astana do know how to pick 'em.

To be honest, what with the Vino doping and the resulting controversy surrounding Astana a few years ago I'm surprised Contador rides for them. Not that I have much of a clue about how riders end up with certain teams.
Typical contract stuff, it would have cost a small fortune to get him.
David Brailsford gave a derisory snort when asked if he'd ever sign Contador, on the back of being asked about signing clean riders, read into that what you will.
Anyway, as for team help Vino does hold the cards, as Contador will leave and Astana will remain a Kasak (sp) team, so who do the domestiques work for their leader next year, or this years TdF winner?

The rumour is Contador will help set up an uber Spainish team owned by F1's Alonso, who's a cycling nut.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The way I see it BMC will be forced to end up pace making a bit in the mountains because as soon as the GC riders make their first tentative moves in the mountains Evans will become the yellow jersey wearer.

Good point, I hadn't really thought of that, there is a strong possibility Evans will be in yellow by Saturday night. I don't think that BMC would try and keep him there all the way to the finish though. Two weeks is too long for them to hold on to the lead.

Andy S probably isn't as exposed as it might seem as he can go with any rider pretty much for acceleration up a mountain.

I agree on the acceleration part, I always wonder about Andy's mental strength though. He will often be without his team mates especially if Contador attacks early in a stage. I guess we are going to find out soon.

Radio Shack seem to be grinders now with neihter Lance, Kloden nor Leipheimer having the explosiveness in their legs anymore.

Cervelo won't be a factor in the mountains as it;s pretty clear that team is for Thor. Sastre will have to fend for himself on the whole.

I agree with this 100%. I think Sastre knows he is not really a contender for the GC this year. He wil be looking for a stage win in the mountains, if it is a big win it may bring him in to contention but I can't see it myself. He is already 3'19" back.

I actually think two teams you didnt mention will come to the fore once the mountains begin.

They being Liquigas and Rabobank.

Both have been smoking the pipe back in the field while the other teams have been jostling for position.

Liquigas is my favourite team (being a Kreuziger fan) and they are set up nicely to have at a minimum a 3 man attack in the mountains with Kreuziger, Basso and Szmyd.

They also have some decent domestiques if they are required.

Same goes for Rabobank. With Menchov and Gesink they have a decent 1-2 combo (If they can stay on the bike and not end up lying on the road)and also have some handy domestiques in the squad.

Caisse d'Epargne will also probably have a few riders up there at some stage too.

Good shout on these, they will have a big say in where the yellow jersey ends up. Kreuziger will do best out of these riders IMO. Basso doesn't seem to have the legs so soon after the Giro. The others I just don't think are good enough.

Personally I don't like Sky's chance much when they get up into the mountains.

I think Wiggo will have to ride how Cadel Evans did in his Lotto years and just ride the wheels of other teams and move when they move.

On Sky it is to be seen what they can do. My belief is more in Brailsford's methods than the riders, we shall see.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
dv794811_600.jpg

Cavs back. However, the real hero of the day is Renshaw, the way he was fighting to hold his position was brilliant. His post race interview was great too.

On Cav as a person, I like him. He is emotional and often says the wrong thing and behaves the wrong way but he wears his heart on his sleeve. He clearly loves the sport and winning. Although my new hero is Geraint Thomas, as you can see from my avatar, "follow me and you won't go far wrong".

Today is a bit lumpier but I still think the sprinters teams will bring it back together as they have no more chances for a while. I will not predict a winner as I don't want to jinx anyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here