Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL Tour de France, thread.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Aparently Cadel has cracked his elbow, explaining his performance today. Fair excuse I reckon!

Saw that funny blue tape/bandage affair on his left arm today.

Nothing to do with him just being found out when push came to shove today then ? :wink:

Spoon

May 31, 2009
Saw that funny blue tape/bandage affair on his left arm today.

Nothing to do with him just being found out when push came to shove today then ? :wink:

Always been a follower hasn't he, you never really expect him to go and earn something he just limits the losses all the time, although his World Championship win is a huge exception. Fancy Menchov for a podium place :smile:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't be too harsh on Cadel, after all no one else could follow AS & AC yesterday, either.
I was never a great fan of Evans, until this year, he certainly is doing the rainbow jersey proud being a lot more aggressive.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and I tried out the patented Linus Gerdermen (sp) down hill position, on Sunday. (as nearly used by Sammy Sanchez today)

Fookin scary it was too, I won't be doing that again, any time soon, although it was quick.

Somehow think if I attempted anything remotely resembling that position on my full suspension mountain bike, that I've hybridised with city slick tyres and rear panniers, would make me look even more of a plonker than I already look on my short trips to and from work :lolol: I get all excited as it is if I hit 30mph downhill ! :blush:
With the strong tail wind we hit 31 mph on the seafront between Worthing and Lancing, on Sunday. :ohmy:
I have to admit I only crouched down on my top tube, on only the slightest declines, and that was enough.
Being a 40 year old proud father I won't be doing it coming off any of the big hills, as it was so fast/dangerous.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well, that was a nice recovery ride through the French countryside for the peloton. Not surprised really, this has been a really tough tour so far. I liked Roche's cheeky little moved off the front, although probably not as much as Tyrone Biggums, who I believe has a bet on him finishing top 20.

Nice to see Cav go for the sprint at the end too. If he can pick up tomorrows stage he will be right back in the hunt for green.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Well, that was a nice recovery ride through the French countryside for the peloton. Not surprised really, this has been a really tough tour so far. I liked Roche's cheeky little moved off the front, although probably not as much as Tyrone Biggums, who I believe has a bet on him finishing top 20.

Nice to see Cav go for the sprint at the end too. If he can pick up tomorrows stage he will be right back in the hunt for green.

Was very chuffed when I saw his dart off from the peleton with about 5-6kms to go.

Thought they might have reeled him back in as he wasnt in shown again until he was almost to the finish line.

Look like he pulled back a minute from some of his closer rivals. Probably went from around 18th to 14th or 15th with that move.

Needed that too as I'm not sure how he'll handle the Pyranees.

John Gadret has been handy for him though and seems to be pacing him along ok.

I reckon for Cav this year shouldn't be about the green. Use this years tour to see if he can make it to the last day in Paris.

If he can he should take massive confidence from that knowing he's faced one of the toughest tours in recent history and conquered it.

Next year he then knows he can sprint hard in every sprint stage and still make it over the mountains to Paris.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Always been a follower hasn't he, you never really expect him to go and earn something he just limits the losses all the time, although his World Championship win is a huge exception. Fancy Menchov for a podium place :smile:

Agreed.

I was onto it back on page 6.

The forgotten rider in the GC grouping is Menchov.

The last few years he's always seemed to find some bit of bad luck to lessen his chances of being right up there.

So far this tour though he's ridden a quiet safe race and seems to have avoided most of the falls.

I'm going to have a $20 on him finishing top 5.

He's been riding quietly and staying on the bike (which is his biggest problem).

Still not sure if he's the real deal in the tour yet as he often rode like he was a bit like Cadel Evans and followed the wheels of the better climbers.

Having said that this year he's skipped a few races he has always ridden to concentrate solely on the Tour de France.

If Gesink can give him a wheel to ride on he'll go close to a podium finish if others falter.

Sammy Sanchez look good though so getting time off him might be hard work as he's a brilliant descender so anything you might get off him at the top he can pull back going down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well done Ty, I too was thinking of you (not in a gayer way!), when Roche went away.
You're certainly in the box seat for this threads champion tipster competition.

Cav to win tomorrow! haha, zing.

I certainly don't begrudge the peloton a nice leg stretch out, it's been a cracking tour so far, with more to come.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
I agree with the Menchov podium prediction. He allways does this. I do fancy Cav to win tomorrow, He needs to grab some more sprint points before the pyrenees. I still think its a two horse race tho. It wouldnt suprise me if Schleck won it you know. We are in for a cracking final week!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Busiest person today was Paul Sherwin, regaling us with yet more mind blowing facts, figures and history lessons from whichever region it is Le Tour happens to be passing through at the time :lol: I say it every year, but Sherwin and Leggitt really are a fantastic double act that fit like a comfortable old pair of slippers.

Like others have said though, I think they all deserved the rest today after one of the toughest tours for a good while. Congrats too to Tyrone Biggums as young Roche snaffled himself a good bit of time today :thumbsup:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Here we go. Some more predictions from me. Put your money on anything other than what I think.

Today Cav will win, and he will go for the intermediate sprints too, presuming there is no breakaway. He will also grab green by the end by winning in to Bordeaux and Paris.

Menchov will miss out on the podium as he will either fall off at some point or crack on the Tourmalet (second time) or the stage in to Ax 3 Domaines. I think Van Den Broeck will get third.

Overall, Schleck will win. With hill top finishes at Ax 3 Domaines, the Tourmalet and the HC climb near the end of the Bagneres-de-Luchon stage he will gain more of a lead over Contador and have enough, just, to hang on in the time trial.

You have not been charged for this information, as the exact opposite will happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've really had it in for Bert haven't you, Marco!.

I don't think Andy will time trial that badly, he's a fool if he does, but I don't think he'll get enough to trouble Bert, when it comes to it.

As for 3rd I've given up on who it might be!.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Nice argy bargy finish today.

Renshaw did the job again today for his main man, though he might get a bit of a slap on the wrist for his actions with the head butts and shutting off the lane that Farrar was coming through on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well they didn't pi$$ around there did they.
I can believe they threw Renshaw off the tour, well obviously I can, as he did Farrar over a barrel, but throwing him off, that's cack.

He's definitely my fav rider, cementing that place from last year, the last bend on the Champs.
Which is probably in my all time top 5, tour moments.

But this tour he's gone from strength to strength.

The third butt was my personal favourite, as that one was just for the hell of it.

What a tour.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Will make things very interesting to see how Cav fares now without his best foot soldier.

Although physical contact is permitted in professional cycling, the Tour's race director Jean-Francois Pescheux reviewed footage of the incident immediately after it had occurred and ruled that Renshaw's actions had impeded Dean's ability to work for Garmin's main sprinter Tyler Farrar in Bourg-lès-Valence.

IMO that part is bullshit.

Dean didnt even seem to be paying any attention to Renshaw's actions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah TB, that doesn't hold water. When Dean did get a smidge in front of Renshaw he moved across his line, Farrar was nowhere to be seen, as he was on Cav.

I bet MR says he didn't see Farrar on the inside, Cav was long gone, and Tyler was almost directly behind him when he glanced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here