Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL Tour de France, thread.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah TB, that doesn't hold water. When Dean did get a smidge in front of Renshaw he moved across his line, Farrar was nowhere to be seen, as he was on Cav.

I bet MR says he didn't see Farrar on the inside, Cav was long gone, and Tyler was almost directly behind him when he glanced.

Trouble is the helicopter shots at the end of the highlights programme clearly shows Renshaw knew what he was doing when he moved to the left to impede Farrar. I think the severe punishment is much more down to this rather than the headbutting. Of course, the headbutting didn't do Renshaws case any favours :rolleyes:

What I want to know is, is any HTC appeal likely to be successful ? From memory, the Tour organisers always appear to be a stubborn lot and unlikely to entertain any appeal, but perhaps others can shed some light ?

Seagull64

Sep 22, 2008
bikecrash.jpg

israel-125year-old-man-laughing.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think their word is final, although thats more to do with relegation/fines.
This hasn't been done for 13 years so there might be a chance they could take it to Christian Prudomme or perhaps the ASO stepping in, but that would mean them going their own.

Farrar was at 6/7 o'clock so there's a chance, slim but possible.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think their word is final, although thats more to do with relegation/fines.
This hasn't been done for 13 years so there might be a chance they could take it to Christian Prudomme or perhaps the ASO stepping in, but that would mean them going their own.

Farrar was at 6/7 o'clock so there's a chance, slim but possible.

Failing all the above I suppose HTC could invite Fabio 'shop steward' Cancellara into their team bus and persuade him to lead a sit down protest on the start line tomorrow ? Or failing that they could ask the organisers to allow Super Mario to adjudicate - expert in the field, and always likely to come out against authority :smile:

But seriously, I agree with you, it's a pretty cack decision really as it will have a massive impact on the remaining sprint stages. :(

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the impact will be more 'in the mind' of Cav than anywhere else.
Luckily though that's where Cav's need to win will see him through.

HTC cover all eventualities when lead out training, inc Renshaw not making it, so they are well used to this situation.

The downside is even we know Renshaw is at the top of his game, it's still a massive loss.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Renshaw has been fantastic for Cav, he will be sorely missed but it will be interesting to see how Cav does without him - the ban was severe but probably justified as it was really a 'double' foul in the 'box', just wish the FA had the guts to treat holding/shirt pulling in the penalty area with the same tough penalties.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
You've really had it in for Bert haven't you, Marco!.

True enough, he rides conservatively for someone with the ability he has. Which I don't like. In the main though I don't want him win again as it will be just like Armstrong/Indurain all over again. How exciting has this tour been compared to anything served up in the years those two won? Excluding anything done by the hero in my (old) avatar.

Well they didn't pi$$ around there did they.
I can believe they threw Renshaw off the tour, well obviously I can, as he did Farrar over a barrel, but throwing him off, that's cack.

He's definitely my fav rider, cementing that place from last year, the last bend on the Champs.
Which is probably in my all time top 5, tour moments.

But this tour he's gone from strength to strength.

The third butt was my personal favourite, as that one was just for the hell of it.

What a tour.

Nonsense decision to throw Renshaw off the Tour. The headbutting was fantastic and he was just defending his line. Blocking off Farrar was a bit naughty, but the punishment is disproportionate to the offence. Two riders fought after an earlier stage and got fined a couple of hundred Euros, Cav lost points last year for changing his line in the sprint. These are acceptable punishments, being thrown off the tour is not. I would expect a rider protest today, but Cav keeps winning so the other teams will be happy Renshaw's gone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
True enough, he rides conservatively for someone with the ability he has. Which I don't like. In the main though I don't want him win again as it will be just like Armstrong/Indurain all over again. How exciting has this tour been compared to anything served up in the years those two won? Excluding anything done by the hero in my (old) avatar.

good point well made.

Nonsense decision to throw Renshaw off the Tour. The headbutting was fantastic and he was just defending his line. Blocking off Farrar was a bit naughty, but the punishment is disproportionate to the offence. Two riders fought after an earlier stage and got fined a couple of hundred Euros, Cav lost points last year for changing his line in the sprint. These are acceptable punishments, being thrown off the tour is not. I would expect a rider protest today, but Cav keeps winning so the other teams will be happy Renshaw's gone.

I hadn't thought of it that way, it makes it even more of a mockery to throw Renshaw off.

Curses I forgot to say, this morning.
Today looks like Ryder's last attempt to get back up the GC, say it now and I just look like a fat bloke who knows feck all :lol:.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I hadn't thought of it that way, it makes it even more of a mockery to throw Renshaw off.

Curses I forgot to say, this morning.
Today looks like Ryder's last attempt to get back up the GC, say it now and I just look like a fat bloke who knows feck all :lol:.

That makes two of us then. :down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right, I've seen Renshaw-gate over half a dozen times now, and I do still think he could quite easily have not seen him, making it even more unfair.

Farrar has almost directly behind him.
Renshaw would have assumed he'd be on the other side, behind Dean.
Renshaws full view was clean air.
It was only a momentary glance.

Anyway tomorrow:-

Lance's big day, he'll be in a strong, long break away and will go for a stage win, but Cav will want it too much.
Cav almost getting booted off for his celebratory gestures in the process :lol:.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Nice win by the Katusha man. He's riding very well.

Added to that he can ride the big mountains so he's going to finish up in the top ten come Paris for sure.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Moving swiftly on from Vino's stage win today.

Good to see Cav win that each man for himself type sprint today :clap:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Vino and Leipheimer were both 100/1 tips to win le Tour. Of course, they were NOT going to win, but still I though they were two cyclists to watch. It is only because they have been around for some time and I recognised their names.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It son TV from 2:30 pm on Sunday as they cycle up the Pyrenees after a straight stretch to start.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
The next 4-5 days are going to be IMMENSE.

Been looking forward to this part of the tour more than any other that i've watched over the years.

I'm expecting quite a few riders to not make it through these mountain stages.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Geraint Thomas in a 9 man break 10 minutes up the road from the peleton. Chance of success minimal in my opinion. These next four days are going to be fantastic. Settling down to an afternoon of Eurosport now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How breathtakingly stunning was that stage.
I hope I can get my ass over there, on 2 wheels, while I'm capable of still doing it justice, (in my own way).
I doubt I will be doing any track stands, not intentionally anyway.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Good day for my fantasy tour de france team. Bonus pont stage and 7 of mt 9 riders top 20.

Can't say I was a big fan of the cat and mouse game contador and schleck were playing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When the shoot out really comes, it's going to go mentals.

The speed Contador set off at, when he did attack, was amazing.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So, just how much time exactly does everyone on here think Contador will take back from Schleck on the time trial ?

Interesting reading that Riis lost over 2 minutes to Ullrich on the Bordeaux to St. Emilion 63.5 km time trial back in '96. This stage 19 Bordeaux to Pauillac time trial is 52km. We're hearing that Schleck has worked hard at his time trialing in the run up to this years tour but surely Contador will still take about a minute to a minute and a half off of him, won't he ? Judging by what Schleck said at the end of todays stage, he knows that he hasn't improved enough at time trialing to be able to only take 31secs into it.

Wouldn't it be great if Schleck could just pinch a minute off of Contador over these next three stages. With a minute and half difference going into the time trial we could have a repeat of the legendary Fignon v Lemond battle all over again.

So come on, predictions please for Contadors gain over Schleck on the time trial. I'll go for 1:05.

Also, can Schleck be strong enough to get any time at all out of Contador over any of these next three crucial stages ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here