Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 98th Tour de France, thread, 2011.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Was surprised to read on Twitter today some people criticising HTC for being boring in their lead-out train. What are they supposed to do? Pull wheelies for the last 500m?
Just another reason to hate Twatter.

Week off this week, but going to miss Friday and Saturday as I'm off on a stag do. I may have to buy a cheap pocket radio and listen to it on Radio 5.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just another reason to hate Twatter.

Week off this week, but going to miss Friday and Saturday as I'm off on a stag do. I may have to buy a cheap pocket radio and listen to it on Radio 5.

We heard the end of a stage waiting for our train at Calais on the second Saturday, I have to say the comentary is very good on 5.

Is the Stag do not in a cycling loving country with bars and eurosport. Get X number of men drinking in a bar and shirley the TV is yours...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
REST DAY REFLECTION - THE WINNERS AND LOSERS of the first 9 days

Winners:-
Gilbert - He's really made his presence left, on stages made for him.
Evans - The only one of the favourites to pop his head above the parapet.
Cav - 2 wins, 2 different ways of doing it.
Thor - Would never have made those climbs without yellow on his back
G - Ever present when needed.
Movistar & Vacansoleil-DCM - Making the breaks and being rewarded.

Losers:-
Wiggins - The hype says podium, we'll never find out.
Andy Schleck - Come on, grow a pair.
Contador - It couldn't have been an enjoyable week, I hope he's wondering if it was all worth it, (and pigs might fly)
Saur - Sojasun & Katusha - There is a race going on chaps.
REST DAY REFLECTION - THE WINNERS AND LOSERS of the next 7 days

Winners:-
Gilbert - Proving a little unhinged when the course goes up hill a little bit.
Thor - Great win.
Voeckler - Can he go all the way?, No, but hey it's fun asking.
Europcar - Worked bloody hard for their man
7 of Team Leopard - See above!
Roy - Deserved his moment in spots.
Contador - Should be out for the count, but isn't.

Losers:-
Frank & Andy - Should be playing rock, scissors, stone for outright win.
Flecha & Hoogerland - potential win taken away from one of them (prob Flecha)
Roche et al - Snuffed out be Leopard.
Kolobnov - What can you say
Vino - Although not to sure how bad of Le Tour and pro cycling

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Who knows? Here are a series of conclusions that could be drawn, and in best NSC style they can be used as facts if you wish:

1. He hates Cav, or doesn't want to spend his career leading him out (presuming Cav is joining Sky of course).
2. He has a football agent, so is pulling a Rooney. That is, making up transfer rumours to get more money.
3. He genuinely is at a crossroads in his career and he needs to decide what kind of rider he will be. Maybe the other teams have offered him a role he prefers.
4. He was so annoyed at waiting aroung for Wiggins that he wants to leave the team.
5. He thinks the wavey forks and seat stays on a Pinarello look rubbish and wants to ride for a team with bikes of a more classical look. He definitely won't be joining BMC though, as their triple triangle frame looks like a shitty GT mountain bike and is not to his taste at all.

Personally think it is number three or something like that.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Predo's for today's stage. A frenchman to win on the descent down to Gap. They will need to win today or they will not get a stage on this year's Tour. I will go for Sylvain Chavanel. Gilbert will also go for it today. He has to win this stage to have any chance of winning the green jersey as Cav will win on the Champs Elysees, again.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Who knows? Here are a series of conclusions that could be drawn, and in best NSC style they can be used as facts if you wish:

1. He hates Cav, or doesn't want to spend his career leading him out (presuming Cav is joining Sky of course).
2. He has a football agent, so is pulling a Rooney. That is, making up transfer rumours to get more money.
3. He genuinely is at a crossroads in his career and he needs to decide what kind of rider he will be. Maybe the other teams have offered him a role he prefers.
4. He was so annoyed at waiting aroung for Wiggins that he wants to leave the team.
5. He thinks the wavey forks and seat stays on a Pinarello look rubbish and wants to ride for a team with bikes of a more classical look. He definitely won't be joining BMC though, as their triple triangle frame looks like a shitty GT mountain bike and is not to his taste at all.

Personally think it is number three or something like that.

Probably 3, definitely 5!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
FDJ breakaway, anyone? It'd make a nice change....

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
It's that descent today off the Rochette where Beloki crashed and Armstrong took to the field - one of my favourite bits of TDF footage.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Poor old Beloki never came back from that, great bike rider. Lets hope Cadel takes his chance this year, cannot keep thinking Brad would have been a contendor this year...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
cannot keep thinking Brad would have been a contendor this year...
I think he would have been comfortably top 10, but I don't see him as a threat.
Lotto have been in the mix, in the mountains, even without Van den Broeck.
Sky have just been left with Uran, not looking particularly happy.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Predo's for today's stage. A frenchman to win on the descent down to Gap. They will need to win today or they will not get a stage on this year's Tour. I will go for Sylvain Chavanel. Gilbert will also go for it today. He has to win this stage to have any chance of winning the green jersey as Cav will win on the Champs Elysees, again.

Quick sneak on here during my dinner break to concur with the French prediction for today and offer up my usual candidate of Sandy Casar.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One thought that's been bubbling around my head.
Is the reason for The Schlecks not being able to hammer home an advantage, the result of clean racing, as opposed to just being soft as sh*te.

It's not going to stop me bitch slapping them at every opportunity.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
One thought that's been bubbling around my head.
Is the reason for The Schlecks not being able to hammer home an advantage, the result of clean racing, as opposed to just being soft as sh*te.

It's not going to stop me bitch slapping them at every opportunity.

Envy, you just wanna be in a Schleck sandwich up the Beacon...Evans is getting all the fun.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
The breakaway is going to stay away I think. I reckon this one is for Boasson Hagen or if it stays wet whoever has the most bottle on the descent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here