Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 98th Tour de France, thread, 2011.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Hushovd winning today must mean Lourdes really is a place where miracles happen ! Have to really feel for Jeremy Roy not quite being able to hang on for the stage win today after yesterday's incredible efforts, but probably taking the polka dot was always the prize he was after today anyway.

Can't wait for tomorrow...aside from all the GC battles, wondering just how long Voekler can hang on in there for and whether he'll still keep yellow by the end of the day ?

No way will Voeckler keep yellow tomorrow. It is going to be an epic stage, I'm a bit pissed off that will be at the first game in a new soulless bowl of a stadium belonging to a provincial nonentity of a football club :jester:

Predictions to come in the morning as I am supposed to be working right now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Damn I wanted Roy to win. Been the most combative rider easily so far.

Yep, officially out in front for longer than any other rider so far. Think he'll be more than happy to be in polka dot tonight though.

Any late night predictions for tomorrow from you and Pantani ?

I don't think Contador is bluffing with these injuries and after the Giro I don't think he has enough to attack tomorrow. I'm going for a stage win for Frank, being very closely followed over the line by Evans, AS, Sammy Sanchez and Contador (in that order).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No way will Voeckler keep yellow tomorrow. It is going to be an epic stage, I'm a bit pissed off that will be at the first game in a new soulless bowl of a stadium belonging to a provincial nonentity of a football club :jester:

Predictions to come in the morning as I am supposed to be working right now.

Have a good one tomorrow. I'm giving it a miss as I'm saving myself for Donny :)

Looks like a soaking for me all morning at kids football tournament then batting the littleuns away in the afternoon to try and settle down to watch what promises to be a superb day of racing.

Agree that Voeckler should definitly be dropped tomorrow, but strange things can happen when the golden fleece is on their back and when it comes to gutsy battlers then Voeckler is right at the top of the pile.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think Contador is bluffing with these injuries and after the Giro I don't think he has enough to attack tomorrow. I'm going for a stage win for Frank, being very closely followed over the line by Evans, AS, Sammy Sanchez and Contador (in that order).
AC definitely isn't bluffing, he should have been hammered on all the uphill finishes in week one.
He must be hoping to hang in there till the Alps, and hope he's better.

AS should cross the line with Frank, if he doesn't and crosses 20m ahead of Bert, we'll have to seriously think about writing him off.

All the usual suspects wll be in the shake up, Sanchez has to be the favourite for the stage.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
Think he'll be more than happy to be in polka dot tonight though.

Apparently not...

Jérémy Roy: “I didn’t care about the polka-dot jersey, I wanted the win”

I've really enjoyed the way FDJ have cycled in this year's Tour and would have loved to see them get a stage win.

Which leads me to another topic. Has anyone else found themselves almost totally disinterested in the GC? The individual stages have been incredibly exciting, but the leading contenders have been dull as ditchwater. Of course, that may change today and in the coming mountain stages, but I'm not so sure.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Has anyone else found themselves almost totally disinterested in the GC? The individual stages have been incredibly exciting, but the leading contenders have been dull as ditchwater. Of course, that may change today and in the coming mountain stages, but I'm not so sure.

This years GC has thus far been underwhelming.

When you have cautious riders like Evans and A.Schleck in the prime positons it's always going to be a bit of a borefest.

People may not like Contador, but a fit AC adds much needed agression to the race.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As it stands it looks like Frank Schleck might have the best legs in the mountains on exposed form.

Not so sure they will let Sanchez get away with a similar move like the other day.

Ideally I'd love to see Gesink have a good day and get in amongst the mix. Injuries though seem to suggest this won't happen.

So I'm going to go for a Frank Schelck win.

Interesting side note to this stage is that in the past whoevers won this stage has gone on to win the tour.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well well, this Jelle Vanendert bloke can climb ! ... and he's from Belgium ! Makes it all the more of a pity that Van Den Broeck crashed out because with Vanendert working for Van Den Broeck they could really have shaken up the GC good and proper.

Really pleased to see Voeckler hang in there and keep the yellow jersey. Him and his super domestique, Pierre Rolland, were outstanding again today :bowdown:

Must give another special mention for old timer Jens Voigt...he seems indestructible ! The Schlecks have a lot to be thankful for.

A well earned rest for Voeckler tomorrow then and hopefully Cav taking the stage win to really tighten up his grip on Green.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
hopefully Cav taking the stage win to really tighten up his grip on Green.

He'll have to loosen his grip on car doors first though!

I've come to the conclusion, Andy Schleck is just a bit thick. He bounds of the front for 20m like an embullient puppy dog, has a little look, then slips back to the group. I've never seen him go for broke. He might never have a better chance of winning the Tour than he has this year...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've come to the conclusion, Andy Schleck is just a bit thick. He bounds of the front for 20m like an embullient puppy dog, has a little look, then slips back to the group. I've never seen him go for broke. He might never have a better chance of winning the Tour than he has this year...
I struggle to come to terms with the fact Andy is soooooo close to Frank they are siamese, but it's becoming harder and harder to argue with.
What if, on his 4-5 attacks today he wasn't looking for AC but seeing if Frank could make it?.

I said to one of my cycling buddies (in jest obviously):-
'If you sent me to ride balls out up a MOUNTAIN then didn't give it some for the last 5kms, I'd kick your bony ass right down the other side'.

If I was Stuey, Fabian, and the good Lord himself Jens, I'd be on a rampage if the Schecks hand Le Tour, to Bert.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stoichkov & SB...I couldn't agree more...AS really is an idiot if he can't see he's unlikely to ever have a better chance than this to go and grab the race by the scruff of the neck and win the bloody thing !

It does make you wonder if AS would only go for it if he could hold hands with his brother on the podium and share yellow :nono:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Perhaps Jens should have the precious brothers up against the wall by the scruff of the neck and DEMAND they reward the blood, sweat and tears he shed for them today !? :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another strong day from Cadel.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
If I was Stuey, Fabian, and the good Lord himself Jens, I'd be on a rampage if the Schecks hand Le Tour, to Bert.

Yep, they put in a massive shift for about 3hrs only for the Schlecks to be content just to roll in with the other leaders.

Maybe the Schlecks just don't have that winners, killers instinct? They're good climbers, but also journeymen who find themselves at the front of the tour each year but don't have the mentality to actually try to win it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Gilbert gambling and losing again today, but have to admire his spirit.

Nice one again Cav. Perfect team lead out train as per usual. :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I loved his comments at the end, words to the effect of:-
'why do these teams have sprinters when they are not prepared to work for them, they can't have any confidence in them'.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Not necessarily the winner of leTour will be remembered years later. The stars so far have been Voeckler, Hushovd, Gilbert, Cavendish and Hoogerland.

And a few others as well.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Cav, Cav, Cav, Cav, lets get over them big mountains, the superstar needs to keep in that gruppetto over the coming days and get himself to Paris for his green clad crowning.

Looking forward to the Alps.

Any one got a price for Bradley for the Vuelta.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here