Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 98th Tour de France, thread, 2011.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
So 10 days in and we have lost 20 riders, is that a record and 8 of those were on stage 9, only a mid mountain stage. I know we tend to lose a few of the high mountains but so many so soon??

I don't know the statistics, but it certainly seems like a hell of a lot compared with previous years.

I wonder what this will mean for the mountain stages - will we get the fearless descents we usually see in the Alps and Pyrenees, or will the riders in general be a little more careful, especially as the memory of Wouter Weylandts' death in the Giro will still be very fresh.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
They'll go down super fast as always. They will have no choice, someone will always try and get the jump on the rest on a descent and everybody has to chase. It is a shame Nibali isn't in the Tour he descends like a mad man.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
This summer's must wear cycling T-shirt:

344567578.jpg

How cool is that!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Superb from Cav. How wet was it at the end? That was ridiculous. On my predictions, I got the winner correct but that was easy and obvious, my prediction of a slow easy day was wildly inaccurate though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't know the statistics, but it certainly seems like a hell of a lot compared with previous years.

I wonder what this will mean for the mountain stages - will we get the fearless descents we usually see in the Alps and Pyrenees, or will the riders in general be a little more careful, especially as the memory of Wouter Weylandts' death in the Giro will still be very fresh.
Sorry to bang on about the David Millar book, but I'm at a similar point.
The Vuelta in 2002 was going up a ridiculous climb, only in the race to show the thrills spills and pain.
The riders revolted promised to stick together, esp if it rained.

It rained and the peloton went up it faster than ever, cos 'they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So all set for tomorrow?
If Bert doesn't want to play and the Schleck's don't go for him, I will not be happy.
Cadel will want to have a pop but, that's asking a lot.
I can't help thinking it's always going to be 'the next stage', for the big boys.

If that's the case Uran, Roche, et al should be having there own battle.

It will be interesting to see how fit Gesink is.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
It will be interesting tomorrow. The big boys will have to show what they have got and will Contador look as rested now that he has been forced to change his butcher?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
What a show by Cav, he looks lovely in Green.

Impressed they used Janelle Monae's tightrope as the music over the ITV 4 highlights end titles.

Mountains here we come....

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Always nailed on for Cav today. Great to see him slip into that green jersey too.

For tomorrow ? Agree about finding out how fit Gesink is, and of course how Contador's knee holds up.

It's the first day of the Pyrenees tomorrow and so the Basque boys will be out in force. So I'm going for Sammy Sanchez taking advantage of early caution from the others and attacking big time to try an claw some time back and shake up the GC contenders.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
It was Cav's all the way today.

Tomorrow is the day that's been recommended to be a day for taking a sickie. Sadly it's not a option for me, so will be watching the text commentary from Eurosport and Le Tour.

It's a difficult one to call. The first high mountains stage. It could be a case of Evans pushing early to gain an early lead and demoralise Contador/Schlecks or they could all ride up it together, with Contador going for the usual attack. Hopefully his knee is really hurting, or he crashes into Karpets again and it ruins his chances.

Right, I'm going to go crazy with my prediction tomorrow... All the GC contenders are going to be so busy watching each other someone from the teams that have been hit with injuries will take the win. Based on that I'm going with Christian Vande Velde.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
All my cards on the table - Contador will tear off on the climb to Luz Ardiden - win the stage and set the foundations for an overall win.

All talk of a bad knee will be quickly forgotten.

<disclaimer>
If this doesn't happen, can I just say that Gadret's abandon may point to the Giro having a long hang-over effect this year hence Contador just not having enough in the tank

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
This.

On to predictions. I am afraid we shall be seeing an anticlimactic day where the GC contenders are just content to mark each other. So I expect the winner to come from someone outside the main contenders. I'm going to go with Damiano Cunego after the way he climbed in the Tour De Suisse.

Forgot some predictions. Voeckler to ride above himself to keep yellow, Cav to win the intermediate sprint of those not in the break, and Hoogerland will get in the break trying to get som KoM points providing he is feeling a bit better.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
No great panic for Thomas yet though. If he can't get back to the lead group on his own he can just wait for Chavanel and Kreuziger. They will drag him back up there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here