Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official 98th Tour de France, thread, 2011.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Col de Tourmalet, hmmm he we come.
We where there a couple of years ago, and I hope to be back next year, only with my bike this time.

Seeing all the running water just instantly reminds me how fantastically 'clean' the air smells, there.

Happy days

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't help thinking the Schlecks are going to be isolated and susceptible going up the last climb. (yes I know I've been banging on about them making exactly this kind of move. I know there's no pleasing some people)

I would love to have seen this attack work, but now it looks like it going to really back fire on them.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
On to predictions. I am afraid we shall be seeing an anticlimactic day where the GC contenders are just content to mark each other. So I expect the winner to come from someone outside the main contenders. I'm going to go with Damiano Cunego after the way he climbed in the Tour De Suisse.

Well they kind of marked each other and Cunego was up there.

Forgot some predictions. Voeckler to ride above himself to keep yellow, Cav to win the intermediate sprint of those not in the break, and Hoogerland will get in the break trying to get som KoM points providing he is feeling a bit better.

Not too bad with these predictions though. Hoogerland had a go at least.

Superb ride from G today, I think he is at a real crossroads in his career, he will need to decide what kind of rider he is going to be in the long term. On the GC contenders today has not really changed anything, but Contador does not look good right now.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who is gonna win it now? I dad Andy Schleck at the beginning, but I am not so sure now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's going to be interesting.

Frank is easily the worst TT'er, so needs oodles of time.
Andy seemed only marginally stronger than Bert.
Bert looked as weak as he's ever looked, and will need to put on a show, soon.
Basso looked good today.
It's a climbers Tour, and the bulk of the 2nd class have gone Gesink, Roche, et al.

But, only predominately judging on today, with a nod to the 10 days before.

Evans has it to lose, BMC looked strong, he's shown a clean pair of heels, at least 3 times, and has the TT skills.

Sorry Cadel, Ty, and all our antipodean buddies.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The only time I have come off a bike like Geraint Thomas was on black ice

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Always nailed on for Cav today. Great to see him slip into that green jersey too.

For tomorrow ? Agree about finding out how fit Gesink is, and of course how Contador's knee holds up.

It's the first day of the Pyrenees tomorrow and so the Basque boys will be out in force. So I'm going for Sammy Sanchez taking advantage of early caution from the others and attacking big time to try an claw some time back and shake up the GC contenders.

As no one else has brought it back up, I suppose I'll have to do it :)

Well done to Geraint Thomas today, fantastic effort !

Congrats to Voeckler, magnificent ride to stay in yellow and Pierre Rolland must get the super domestique trophy today.

Jens Voigt really put it in for the Schlecks but not sure it achieved it's main objective. Interesting to see AS almost fall over the finish line...he didn't look any better,condition wise, than Contador.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Only saw the highlights but that was faboulous tonight.

Loved Thomas effort and Sanchez looked great, especially for showing some suffering, just wanted it more.

Schelks are looking strong together in the mountains, whens the next big stage....

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well Saturday's stage - Saint-Gaudens - Plateau de Beille - looks like it could provide a very exciting finish and potentially give us a real clue for the podium placings.

Tomorrow is set to favour a breakaway so I'm going for my trusted, flying the French flag, breakaway tip of Sandy Casar again.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'm cheating today as a break has gone up the road already and I think it will stay away. Hushovd or Boasson Hagen to win it from these as Petacchi will get left on the climb up the Aubisque.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
It's set up nicely now to Paris.

I think its probably Cadel's to lose now although I think he'll have a bad day which might cost him dearly. If Contador can limit his loses on Saturday and stay in contention until the Grenoble TT, he's still in with an outside shout.

I WISH Andy Schleck would put in a proper, all-out, attack rather than 20m half-hearted efforts!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I WISH Andy Schleck would put in a proper, all-out, attack rather than 20m half-hearted efforts!

You won't be surprised to know I couldn't agree more.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Gilberts attacked today to try to steal some Green Jersey Points - that tussle is as good as the one for the overall

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hushovd winning today must mean Lourdes really is a place where miracles happen ! Have to really feel for Jeremy Roy not quite being able to hang on for the stage win today after yesterday's incredible efforts, but probably taking the polka dot was always the prize he was after today anyway.

Can't wait for tomorrow...aside from all the GC battles, wondering just how long Voekler can hang on in there for and whether he'll still keep yellow by the end of the day ?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Gilberts attacked today to try to steal some Green Jersey Points - that tussle is as good as the one for the overall

I'm not really sure what Gilbert is up to with this. He could have obtained a similar number of points by staying in the peloton and sprinting at the end. It seemed a bit of a wasted effort to me. I do agree with you though, this competition will go right to the wire and will be decided when Cav sprints to victory on the Champs Elysees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here