Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2024/25 Edition

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ground number 33: Gorings Mead, home of Horsham YMCA for their pre-season friendly with Whyteleafe on tuesday.

Absolutely love this ground for many reasons. Firstly, as Horsham experts will know, the town centre is actually quite far south in Horsham, which means that this ground- very much on the southern outskirts, is very close to down town Horsham whilst retaining a rural feel.

I drove there and was able to park in the ground in what is essentially a pitch side car park. Plenty of spaces but I imagine it gets filled up fairly quickly for bigger games. Entry was £5 including parking and a raffle ticket (I didn't win). You could, if you were so inclined, watch the whole game from the comfort of your car.

I opted against this and began to explore. Firstly, I have to give a shout out to the main stand which is absolutely gorgeous. Having been to many grounds that seem to have almost identical main stands, this one really "stands out". It's fairly big and a little bit raised which gives good views of the pitch. I'm not an architecture expert by any means but it has a brutalist vibe to it. It's in my top 5 stands of the year that's for sure. Opposite is a small covered terraced stand which is not quite on the half way line. Great views from it of the sumptuous stand opposite and the rolling hills and woodland behind the ground.

The clubhouse is pretty big and it mainly consists of a bar and then a separate room which hosts the tea bar and what seems to be a function room of sorts. Good beer selection including a couple from the nearby superb Hepworth brewery (was half expecting Dark Star). It's a good venue, only nitpick would be it could do with more pictures etc on the walls.

On the bovril front, it appeared to come in cube form- did they just stick a stock cube into hot water?! I'm not sure, it didn't taste bad whatever it was but a touch on the too salty side. £2 as well which is above the going rate

The game was fairly typical pre season affair which "YM" won. I think it was 1-0. Not sure of his name but the stand out player was the number 10 from the home side. An absolutely beautiful footballer who should be playing at a higher standard really. Created everything meaningful and one of those players who just always seems to be in acres of space.

Anyway, I rate this ground very highly and it's possibly going to win my much coveted "ground of the month" award for July....I'm really looking forward to seeing some competitive football though, starting this saturday with Loxwood vs Bexhill in the SCFL Premier
Glad you managed to get down to see us at Gorings Mead, and many thanks for your top rated revue. The seat you were sitting on in our main stand, came staight out of the south stand at the Goldstone when it was demolished in 1997.

Just a shame we didn't get the chance to say hello, though l did take your entrance money and gave you your "non-winning" raffle ticket!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Great report - thanks for that.

I played at YM for 10 years and still go down there when I'm not at Brighton (always stand in the small stand opposite the main stand - although I understand they have moved the dugouts in the summer which may affect my sightline and I may have to move :( )

I haven't been down this season yet for any friendlies - I think they have one this Saturday so will pop along.

As for the 'function room of sorts' - that's where I had my Wedding Reception 30 odd years ago!
PM me your name and l may well know of you. Our Club President Ron Moulding almost certainly will, he has been involved at YM as a player and manager ever since Noah was a boy!

Our game this Saturday is in fact the first league game of the season, versus Little Common. The league starts ridiculously early these days.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
PM me your name and l may well know of you. Our Club President Ron Moulding almost certainly will, he has been involved at YM as a player and manager ever since Noah was a boy!

Our game this Saturday is in fact the first league game of the season, versus Little Common. The league starts ridiculously early these days.
I know Ronnie very well.

I played alongside him and he was my manager for a while too.

I'm planning to go down and watch Saturday - season starting in July is crazy!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What is crazy is, I just had a look for fixtures next weekend Saturday 3rd August.

Peacehaven & Telscombe v Shoreham FA CUP !!!!

might go to that, support my birthplace for the first time ever, Shoreham.
They are also playing each other in the league on Saturday, Shoreham at home.

The cup game may be played at Eastbourne Town’s ground as Peacehaven are having work done on their pitch.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They are also playing each other in the league on Saturday, Shoreham at home.

The cup game may be played at Eastbourne Town’s ground as Peacehaven are having work done on their pitch.
A lovely place to watch football the Saffrons, particularly on a warm summer's day. I'll miss my trips there with YM, now Eastbourne Town have been promoted.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I’m thinking of going to watch Whitehawk v Worthing this afternoon. Could someone please let me know the admission fee, as I couldn’t find it on their website?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Heading to The Nest today for Loxwood vs Bexhill United

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I’m thinking of going to watch Whitehawk v Worthing this afternoon. Could someone please let me know the admission fee, as I couldn’t find it on their website?
Going to be gorgeous today as well, I expect a good sized crowd, last time I saw a friendly at Whitehawk Adam El-Abd got sent off, proper fisticuffs right in front a bunch of kids, stay classy Adam 🙃

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Going to be gorgeous today as well, I expect a good sized crowd, last time I saw a friendly at Whitehawk Adam El-Abd got sent off, proper fisticuffs right in front a bunch of kids, stay classy Adam 🙃
Whilst Worthing got the win, I thought Whitehawk more than matched them and deserved to take something from the game.
IMG_9731.jpeg
IMG_9732.jpeg
IMG_9733.jpeg
IMG_9730.jpeg

Last edited:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Shoreham v Peacehaven for me today and after a right skinful in The Duke of Wellington (what a great pub that is) I had a moment of clarity and realised that incredibly this is a new ground for me. So this seasons tally of 3 is equal to the whole of last season for me.

Peacehaven won quite comfortably (2-0) but I don’t really follow them now as I’ve mentioned on here before, so I thought they did alright.

My mate that does go regularly wasn’t convinced and thinks that both teams will be in the wrong end of the table.

A nice ground and bar and quite a good friendly crowd. An enjoyable afternoon

IMG_4598.jpeg

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Shoreham v Peacehaven for me today and after a right skinful in The Duke of Wellington (what a great pub that is) I had a moment of clarity and realised that incredibly this is a new ground for me. So this seasons tally of 3 is equal to the whole of last season for me.

Peacehaven won quite comfortably (2-0) but I don’t really follow them now as I’ve mentioned on here before, so I thought they did alright.

My mate that does go regularly wasn’t convinced and thinks that both teams will be in the wrong end of the table.

A nice ground and bar and quite a good friendly crowd. An enjoyable afternoon

View attachment 186163
Was it so windy in Shoreham that it pulled the flag apart?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here