Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2024/25 Edition

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Looking forward to welcoming this fella to Gorings Mead next Saturday when YM take on Newhaven in the 1st preliminary round of the FA Cup.

Last time l saw Jake he was wearing the stripes at Withdean.
I’m thinking of making my first visit to YM next week.

Jake came on at half time, definitely looked lively and set up his brother Lee to score the second goal. Jake had a few chances himself and I’m sure he will score loads when he settles in.

There is a mistake on the YM website with today’s match, I know you won 5-0

IMG_1482.jpeg

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Crowborough 0-3 Petersfield

Not a great way to start the season to be honest. Crowborough looked good for the first half an hour then the wheels kinda fell off. Petersfield took the lead bang on half time after a defensive mix up gave their chap a load of time to compose himself and bury one in the bottom corner from the edge of the box. Probably slightly unfair on the basis of play as it had been all Crowborough without them looking like scoring past the biggest goalkeeper I've ever seen (6ft5 in both directions). Crowborough's heads dropped and Petersfield had the last 15 minutes of the half.

Second half was more of the same really. Lots of huff and puff from Crowborough but were missing that spark up top. Petersfield scored two goals on the break and put the game to bed. In stoppage time there was just long enough for the Crowborough keeper to be sent off I assume for handling outside his box which meant we played the last couple of minutes with an outfield player in goal.

Eastbourne at home tomorrow which is a fixture switch I believe as their pitch isn't ready. I also understand Peacehaven have requested the same thing. Not sure the club are overly keen about switching another one as it'll mean only 6 home games post Christmas.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Still no SCFL Division 2 fixtures out which is frustrating.,...

Anyway, I took in ground number 34 on saturday, "The Nest" home of Loxwood for their SCFL Premier League clash with Bexhill United

It's a ground that I've been looking forward to going to since I started this really and I ultimately wanted to save it for a nice sunny day which it was on Saturday. It was also great to be at a competitive fixture for the first time since early May.

Firstly, it is in the middle. of. nowhere! The ground is just to the south of the village of Loxwood. I have no idea how you'd get there by public transport so a car is essential really.

With the rural location and the tall trees on all 4 sides, this ground does have an enchanted forest vibe to it, fairly similar to Roffey in a way.

Just the two stands, a fairly small covered seating one (with seats in the club colours), and a small covered standing area behind one goal. Entry was £8 for adults (a smidge over the league average I think).

Started off in the clubhouse which is shared with the neighbouring cricket club as they had the cricket on. I wasn't drinking but the beer selection was decent. It's quite big and is a fairly typical clubhouse to be honest. A nice touch is the presence of a fireplace (obviously not in operation on saturday).

Inside the ground the entrance and tea bar are in the same structure. They had a bbq going but, mindblowingly, didn't get it fired up until the game started. I did eventually have a burger though which was nice. No bovril available "until winter" apparently.

The game was pretty good. I commented when I saw Loxwood away at Storrington in a friendly that they are pretty moany and they repeated this today. A lot of whingeing at each other and the ref ALL GAME.

They actually took the lead very early on, a pretty standard ball over the top took Bexhill completely off guard and the Loxwood forward fired in.

The visitors then proceeded to bombard Loxwood's goal with shots and eventually equalised late in the first half.

United were definitely the best team throughout, in particular their number 6 who was the best player on the pitch. Was disappointed by former football league standard forward Ryan Hall up front for the home side as I assumed he'd be a cut above the rest.

The busiest person on the pitch was the poor Loxwood physio who must have some biblical level powers of resurrection as she managed to get several of her players back on their feet seconds after they were apparently dead.

Bexhill deservedly went ahead very late in the game, I think around the 95th minute and quite rightly thought they had it in the bag. They scored from a corner where, in fairness, it looked like the Loxwood goalie had been impeded.

However, even later in the game, I'd estimate about 98 minutes in, the home side equalised in dramatic fashion with a fairly tame effort that completely wrong footed the United goalkeeper.

All in all, I'd love to go back to Loxwood, it's a stunning location (albeit a fairly standard ground), but I won't be rushing back to see THIS Loxwood team again

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Sussex Community Shield on Wednesday at Lancing - Steyning v Horsham. SCFL Champions v Sussex Senior Cup winners. Amazing to see the Barrowmen in this type of fixture. Should be a good test before Saturday and ………

The FA bloomin’ Cup. It’s the Extra Preliminary Round v Hilltop FC (from Beaconsfield) at the Birchwood (Shooting Field). Playing the cup before we’ve played a League game. Hoping for the Amex in the Third Round.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Good reports from Crowborough and Loxwood btw. We played Loxwood in a friendly and they might get a reputation at this rate. Crowborough have Danny Wood in charge who is a great guy and I really hope they do well this season.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
They've definitely got 2 , Jake and Lee, don't know about the third brother.
Not surprising that they are all good players, their dad was a member of the all conquering Peacehaven team of the early '90's.
Ian the other brother is still there . Certainly remember the dad playing for Peacehaven back in the day - Dave I think

Attachments

• IMG_9952.jpeg
    IMG_9952.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 23

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Good reports from Crowborough and Loxwood btw. We played Loxwood in a friendly and they might get a reputation at this rate. Crowborough have Danny Wood in charge who is a great guy and I really hope they do well this season.
He's first team coach. Muggsy is still in charge. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a succession plan though.

Think we'll struggle this season to be honest. It's obvious we are missing the creativity that Lucas and Harvey gave us. On the subject of which both were at the game on Saturday and I had a five minute chat with them both. They were very complimentary about your setup and both spoke very highly of how they've been welcomed into the club.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'm sure most of Loxwood's players are fine but they certainly have 5 or 6 quite badly behaved players I'd say. Plus seem to be prone to a lot of arguing with each other

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
He's first team coach. Muggsy is still in charge. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a succession plan though.

Think we'll struggle this season to be honest. It's obvious we are missing the creativity that Lucas and Harvey gave us. On the subject of which both were at the game on Saturday and I had a five minute chat with them both. They were very complimentary about your setup and both spoke very highly of how they've been welcomed into the club.
Cheers, that’s good to hear. The Isthmian League really is a different level. I’m delighted your lads are settling in. And it makes more sense that Woody has been appointed coach - it would have been quite a jump.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm sure most of Loxwood's players are fine but they certainly have 5 or 6 quite badly behaved players I'd say. Plus seem to be prone to a lot of arguing with each other
Yep three or four of them joined from Horsham YMCA at the beginning of last season, why do you think they aren't playing for us anymore!

Loxwood are something of an aggy side. That said lot's of money has been invested there this season, and they could fare well.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Yep three or four of them joined from Horsham YMCA at the beginning of last season, why do you think they aren't playing for us anymore!

Loxwood are something of an aggy side. That said lot's of money has been invested there this season, and they could fare well.
Doesn't appear that the money invested there made any difference to the attendance on Saturday

1722337902331.png

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Anyone know how Worthing's ground development is coming on - should be just about finished by now???

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Doesn't appear that the money invested there made any difference to the attendance on Saturday

View attachment 186269
yeh I'm not sure how sustainable it is up at Loxwood. They appear to have aspirations of being a top half SCFL Premier Side, but ultimately they're representing a very well to do village with a population of 1400 or so. They must have someone pumping a fair bit of wonga into it

I understand that the land that their two pitches is on was donated to them by a member, but with 60 odd people paying £8 a pop it can't be bringing in enough to cover costs with that alone. The clubhouse seems to be shared with the cricket club so not sure how much that's bringing in either

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Anyone know how Worthing's ground development is coming on - should be just about finished by now???

this is probably the best source of info re: the redevelopment

seems like it's a bit off being ready, but some concrete is down now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here