Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2024/25 Edition

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
My Rooks mojo is currently very high, mainly due to the departing clownshow of a management team. Loving the LOCAL pre season friendlies listed (instead of a tour of Essex). Bring it on.

Agree though that Whelpers will be a big miss. -genuinely looked a class above at times last season.
You mention clownshow of management team last year. They've apparently all just left Ramsgate FC with immediate affect and tonight's friendly cancelled

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
The FA cup Extra preliminary draw has been made with some massive local derby's in there including

Horsham YMCA v Newhaven ,
Peacehaven v Shoreham ,
Saltdean v AFC Varndeanians ,
Hassocks v Haywards Heath
Eastbourne Town v LittleCommon

Full draw here along with The FA Trophy , FA Vase and FA youth cups

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Harry Shooman has also moved back to Whitehawk (from Steyning) - such a lovely player. He’s got the lot. Combined with being a really friendly bloke. Good luck.
Seconded, Steyning's loss will be very much Whitehawk's gain.
My local team, Chatham, have signed six new players already. Looks like another big push for promotion.
Sounds like Gillingham will soon be playing second fiddle to Chatham on the Medway football scene.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Seconded, Steyning's loss will be very much Whitehawk's gain.

Sounds like Gillingham will soon be playing second fiddle to Chatham on the Medway football scene.
Shooman could definitely play at a higher level

I'm watching him right now in fact, ground number 28!

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Dropping my boy off at the theme park (ironically Thorpe Park and not the one literally across the road) gave me the opportunity to take in my first new ground of the season, Chessington And Hook.

Anyhoo, cracking value for money (£0.00) as I got two matches in. First up was a 2-2 Draw between them
IMG_4381.jpeg
and Molesey’s U23 sides although I believe the former had two 14 year olds on inc the keeper.

Second match was the same two clubs first teams, Plenty of goals in a 5-3 home win.

I was impressed that on a couple of occasions a player got absolutely flattened by an opposing defender and firstly the referee, although given a free kick, didn’t admonish the felon and also the recipient of the challenge just got up and dusted themselves down without complaining.

Both matches were played on the adjacent pitch as no friendlies are being played at the tired looking first team ground.

If ever there was an advert for “Volunteers needed at your local non league club” this was it, it doesn’t need any money spent, it needs a work party weekend and plenty of bodies getting their hands dirty. I hope this happens as I got the impression of a very friendly club.
IMG_4379.jpeg
IMG_4384.jpeg

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Whitehawk’s first pre season game against Hassocks yesterday with a very new look side. Two separate XIs in each half, the first half side could have easily been 3 goals up at HT, if not for a very impressive performance from Hassocks’ GK. The second half XI had a back 4 of Trialists which led to an open game with a hassocks goal either side of two Chris Whelpdale Whitehawk goals. Certainly looks like a class above. The game ended 2-2, a good exciting game for pre season.

IMG_0982.jpeg

Bizarre goings on at Ramsgate as well, not surprising that’s those two prats are involved. Their departure might actually make Lewes semi likeable this season @MattBackHome

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Whitehawk’s first pre season game against Hassocks yesterday with a very new look side. Two separate XIs in each half, the first half side could have easily been 3 goals up at HT, if not for a very impressive performance from Hassocks’ GK. The second half XI had a back 4 of Trialists which led to an open game with a hassocks goal either side of two Chris Whelpdale Whitehawk goals. Certainly looks like a class above. The game ended 2-2, a good exciting game for pre season.

View attachment 185333

Bizarre goings on at Ramsgate as well, not surprising that’s those two prats are involved. Their departure might actually make Lewes semi likeable this season @MattBackHome
I hadn't seen Whelpdale play before and I assumed he was some sort of Spanish trialist with his long locks and sumptuous playing style..he was a proper class act for sure

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I hadn't seen Whelpdale play before and I assumed he was some sort of Spanish trialist with his long locks and sumptuous playing style..he was a proper class act for sure
He's absolutely class, so silky and technical and a to watch.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Mate I'm actually embarrassed at myself that I used to like Tony. He's a complete joke, and Vinesy is no better. Onwards and upwards.

I'm very chuffed that Rooks have retained Sablier though,

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Could be an interesting game, , Loxwood have new backers and are throwing a lot of money at it this season.
Really? They did look good particularly going forward. Difficult to make sense of a first friendly, but promising on the pitch from the Barrowmen. Work also being done off the pitch for new changing rooms and hospitality etc (needed whatever division we’re in).

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone ITK at Southwick know about progress at OBW? Looks pretty slow going to me, and I'm keen to get back down when it reopens. @attila?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Ground number 29 last night (I am now half way through my journey). A pre-season friendly between Upper Beeding and Mile Oak. One of those evenings where you question what you're doing with your life. Pouring down with rain and, like several other SCFL Division 2 grounds there is absolutely no shelter.

Located just off the high street, there are lovely views from the ground of the rolling hills surrounding this quaint village. There is hard standing on 3 sides with most fans (attendance was approx 9) congregating on the west side of the ground as the trees providing some sort of shelter from the elements.

The reason why I'm trying to cram in some of these SCFL 2 grounds in pre season is that I'm trying to avoid doing them after the weather has turned, well that brutally backfired last night with a deluge of biblical proportions hammering down throughout the game.

Admission was, of course, £0. There's no clubhouse, or at least there wasn't anything open last night. There is a sports and youth club, a fairly large building in the corner of the park which I'm wondering whether this acts as a clubhouse for saturday league games. As a result there was no Bovril available

The game was actually quite good, with SCFL 2 side Upper Beeding much the better side against SCFL 1's Mile Oak. Their front two in particular were brilliant and a constant thorn in the side of their opponents.

I'll be honest I gave up when they went 3-0 up and went to the Rising Sun for a pint of Guinness and a pack of Scampi Fries. Final score was 4-1.

ub.jpg

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I do try and get to a few non league games each season. Maybe somebody could put up who is expected to do well and the ins and outs at the Sussex senior clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here