Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The "JCL" attitude

Horsham by the Sea

Apr 29, 2011
Stirling , Scotland
Agree with Goldwithfalmer (606 regular too ?) having been to hundreds of Albion games thru 80's and 90's including Hereford, Gillingham on several occasions and last had a season ticket in 2002 I know of dozens of returning fans.. some of the the old North Stand regulars just could not do Withdean and some have had kids and are now coming back.. I cannot wait for the Amex and have my seat with loads of my mates.

I've never considered myself a hard core 5,000 whom I admire for putting up with it... but who do they think used to fill the Goldstone ?? the majority of the extra 12,000 are sleeping Albion fans who should be welcomed back.

One observations is some of the new songs (even away) dont match up to the old North stand.. hopefully that will change at the Amex ?

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Interesting thread. Have to admit that the thread started did not help himself by announcing that the supports Manure!! Can see both sides of the argument though, but ultimately the club needs the money, to improve and get to the promised land. However, I must remember to ask the ex Palace season ticket holder at work, who now lives in East Sussex and has decided to get a season ticket at the Amex because "it looks fantastic" what she thought of the Albion's performance on Saturday? - lets face it does grate a little bit!!

Welcome one and all.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Agree with Goldwithfalmer (606 regular too ?) having been to hundreds of Albion games thru 80's and 90's including Hereford, Gillingham on several occasions and last had a season ticket in 2002 I know of dozens of returning fans.. some of the the old North Stand regulars just could not do Withdean and some have had kids and are now coming back.. I cannot wait for the Amex and have my seat with loads of my mates.

I've never considered myself a hard core 5,000 whom I admire for putting up with it... but who do they think used to fill the Goldstone ?? the majority of the extra 12,000 are sleeping Albion fans who should be welcomed back.

One observations is some of the new songs (even away) dont match up to the old North stand.. hopefully that will change at the Amex ?

Hello Horsham -606? how did you ever guess-JCL you!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Agree with Goldwithfalmer (606 regular too ?) having been to hundreds of Albion games thru 80's and 90's including Hereford, Gillingham on several occasions and last had a season ticket in 2002 I know of dozens of returning fans.. some of the the old North Stand regulars just could not do Withdean

Apart from the obvious reasons (Withdeans lack of professionalism), why would one stop watching their team at home? The club needed the fans jsut as much as they did towards the end of the Goldstone.

Horsham by the Sea

Apr 29, 2011
Stirling , Scotland
easy.. Im already paranoid about my lack of posts.. the fact Ive not been to more than 3 games average per season since 2002.. the fact that I dont know every new song (Bennett song at MKDons id never heard), my last on the pitch moment was Doncaster 1997... oh and my previous NSC experience was Southwick Seagull over 10 years ago, I cant remember all of the crispys rap and no I've not got the tattoo (yet :) )

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Never stopped but not as regular for me but i understand how some people went then did not and now come back-2 games this season -work most Saturday's

Leyton Orient at home cold but sunny sat near Ian Hart & wags (North stand) 5-0 the 3rd goal was sublime.

Colchester at home (South stand) Noone's 2nd half goal a classic nearly followed up 5 mins later with an exact replica.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
easy.. Im already paranoid about my lack of posts.. the fact Ive not been to more than 3 games average per season since 2002.. the fact that I dont know every new song (Bennett song at MKDons id never heard), my last on the pitch moment was Doncaster 1997... oh and my previous NSC experience was Southwick Seagull over 10 years ago, I cant remember all of the crispys rap and no I've not got the tattoo (yet :) )

Well don't be ashamed of lack of post count-by the time you & i have reached a 10th of Barrel's(long term well respected NSC member may i add)post count-we will still be light years behind most.(crispys crispys give us a song)

Horsham by the Sea

Apr 29, 2011
Stirling , Scotland
BOF you make fair point, like I said Im just not one of the hard core 5,000... usual excuses like 3 kids, cant get to evening games from London in time bla bla bla enjoyed my season ticket at Withdean for 2 years but just did'nt compare to North Stand.. been to 2/3 away games each year and loved every minute..Withdean just never got me going... all my kids are junior seagulls and I've seen a few games at home this year.. think you'll find there's thousands like me... season ticket sales suggest it !

Horsham by the Sea

Apr 29, 2011
Stirling , Scotland
just read that post .. quality post which actually sums it up 100% spot on... these are 12,000 albion fans returning with the odd few still to be 100% converted.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why would people stop going? Because things, at various points in the history of the Albion, got so low it was just depressing. I've been to games in the bad times where I really questioned whether I could be arsed. I kept coming, but can easily see why, when times are hard and perhaps for other reasons- money, family etc- others might not. After being a Goldstone regular, I missed the first three or four games at Gillingham & wasn't THAT bothered. Then one day I decided to give it a go again and made every one after that. And kept coming to Withdean and now beyond.

Every club in the country has fans who used to go and have stopped. You might as well ask where the missing 28,000 are from our record attendance compared to our average now...it doesn't mean anything. There were only 2,000 or so regulars at Gillingham....does that give those of us who did go the right to have a dig at the 5,000 or so current regulars who didn't? Technically they're all JCLs too, surely?

What is important is that we attract fans, new AND old, we fill the stadium, and we KEEP them coming.

I have absolutely no problem sitting next to someone who is a lapsed regular- they can probably talk about Danny Wilson or Peter Ward or Steve Foster as well as anyone, even if they aren't so sure about Phil Stant or Aiden Newhouse. We're all fans aren't we, and we all want the same thing.

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
http://www.clubsincrisis.com/brighton/brighton_crisis_history.html

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/page/AmexHistoryIndex/0,,10433,00.html

Ok, here's the deal for BHA JCL fans (lapsed/new/closet ManU fans... wotevarrrrr...)

Read every word of the texts of the websites above.

You will then be asked 10 questions on them by non-newbie NSC'ers (school comprehension test-style!). Any suggestions for questions...??!

If you get 8 or more out of 10, you will be welcomed into the fold as true & proper fans, my friends...

(NB. I think Fulham did something similar to this AT THEIR TICKET OFFICE when they were on their way up the leagues, when selling tickets for some high-profile game(s)... not a bad idea for 6th August, methinks...)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
What colour kit did Brighton wear versus Reading at home in 1993-1994?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
or was it 1992-93-hmmm?another ok who is PC Beard.

Steve in Oz

Jul 26, 2003
I Don't Like It

Hey Guys

I have been reading through this post and I feel a bit sad and angry
It seems success has mad us all a bit screwy. I live in Australia so it is a bit hard to get to games, But I used to go and see the Albion all the time in the 70,s I was at Newcastle when we were promoted I was at palace and took my kicking at Pompy and Millwall.
The people on here who are calling people JCL should hang there heads in shame REALLY What are you saying should new fans be banned fron buying season tickets? What makes your money better than anyone else's Clubs grow get used to it I get annoyed when I hear fools saying I was there when it was tough so why should a JCL get my season ticket How dare they support my club. I Love the Albion but took a choice to move to Australia If i came back and baught a season ticket would i be abused with the title of JCL even though I have seen hundreds of games all over the country. Please Please Please put an end to this in fighting and lets drop this JCL attitude It makes me really sad that all the success our club has had we revert back to back biting and infighting YOU are ALL so lucky to be a part of a new dawn of a new Albion My thoughts are with you

Steve in Oz

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Lets not forget we lost a lot of our fanbase youngsters at Gillingham who could not get to games so they drifted off to support Man U,Liverpool etc. Now we have the oppotunity to rebuild the fanbase,let's welcome all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Apart from the obvious reasons (Withdeans lack of professionalism), why would one stop watching their team at home? The club needed the fans jsut as much as they did towards the end of the Goldstone.
It's been said a couple of times, already.
But for me I lay the blame squarely at the door of Gillingham.

I lived and breathed the Goldstone home and away.
But being in the very West of West Sussex it wasn't a commitment I was prepared to continue, what with the circumstances/pain that got us there. If we'd shared with Pompey it would be a different story.

Withdean just wasn't up to it, although obviously without it we wouldn't be here now.
So I got my 'fix' from away games, and from the NSC community.

So here we go, for my 3rd chapter as an Albion home supporter, only now I'll have a wife and 2 kids in tow (all JCL's and I'm not going to speak to them)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It's been said a couple of times, already.
But for me I lay the blame squarely at the door of Gillingham.

I lived and breathed the Goldstone home and away.
But being in the very West of West Sussex it wasn't a commitment I was prepared to continue, what with the circumstances/pain that got us there. If we'd shared with Pompey it would be a different story.

Withdean just wasn't up to it, although obviously without it we wouldn't be here now.
So I got my 'fix' from away games, and from the NSC community.

So here we go, for my 3rd chapter as an Albion home supporter, only now I'll have a wife and 2 kids in tow (all JCL's and I'm not going to speak to them)

Thanks, been looking for an excuse for years not to talk to the wife so this will do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks, been looking for an excuse for years not to talk to the wife so this will do.
My friend, I have plenty more when this one runs out!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here