Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] The Interview of the Century

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Palace response I just heard lends credence to the allegations from the Harry and Meghan interview imo

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Four hundred posts and counting ....

meg.gif

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not racist? Are you kidding me? I used to live there.

I'm not going to write a diatribe to your second response but going back back to the US would've been seen as a wonderful response by their population to an anachronistic institution which needs modernising. Something which could only be done by a strong, modern mixed-race woman who was one of their own.

Everything Meghan says and does in the US is preaching to the converted.

Surprised at you tbh.

Sorry, I think there must be some sort of misunderstanding here.

You have lost me with the Megan comments. If the US is so racist how can she be preaching to the converted?

As for the latter, I'm not saying the US isn't racist. I assume it is relatively very racist compared with the UK, with open neo Nazis basking in the protection of the 5th amendment. But much of the world is racist and even more racist than the US. That was my point. I have travelled a lot and have connections across the world through work. Racism is culturally acceptable in many places. I remember travelling on a train with a Russian acquaintance (a medical doctor) who was enchanted by some black kids. 'They're like little monkeys' she said out loud. An Italian friend of mine, from Milan, well educated (a hospital doctor) refers to people from southern Italy as 'blacks'. I could go on. There are racists everywhere. We are lucky in the UK where being a racist is not seen as a good look. The US may be far worse than us but in my experience it isn't one of the most racist places in the world.

But I admit I could be wrong. I wonder what others think?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Anyone out there that has or does live in America tell me if the tabloids are same as here. Also is it really possible for Harry to go off on his bike for a walk along the beach like he said

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Meghan’s father and sister are now slagging her off to the press.

Using the media as a weapon will always backfire on everyone involved except the journalists.

Given their previous form with the media, you can half understand why Meghan keeps them at arms length. I once heard a wonderful quote from a Frenchman who lived in Brittany who said locals viewed day trippers and weekenders from Portsmouth in the same way Californians would view tourists from rural Alabama. Mr Markle and Meghan's sister are those tourists.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Thanks for replying.

None of that was a surprise to me. I've never been to Australia, but my family have spent years on and off travelling around the country, plus I've always had an interest in geography and demography.

So I was aware of the Greek, Italian and ethnic South Slavs issues, sometimes violence.

Aboriginal Australians and their plight - it's there for all to see.

When I lived there early 80's, there was a lot of friction between the Serb and Croatian communities in Sydney. This was before the break up of Yugoslavia. There were two bus depots where the Serbs and Croats were even kept apart. One depot for each.

I once went to a pre season game at the Sydney sports ground, what is now the Sydney football stadium - NSW XI v Dynamo Zagreb, a Croatian team. Guest of honour who was introduced to the players pre match was the Yugoslav Ambassador to Australia. Who was a Serb! It kicked off from thereon with booing, whistles, a guy on a megaphone whipping the Croatians into a frenzy with missiles flying towards the Ambassador and his wife. He departed Bellotti style soon after. As political fanatics and football fans they were equally passionate. My first experience of the murky and complicated world of Balkan politics.

I also remember when President Tito popped his clogs, the Croatian Club in the west of Sydney threw a huge party with free beer. I guess you'd call it an anti-wake? No mourning that night at the club.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South

You have lost me with the Megan comments. If the US is so racist how can she be preaching to the converted?

As for the latter, I'm not saying the US isn't racist. I assume it is relatively very racist compared with the UK, with open neo Nazis basking in the protection of the 5th amendment. But much of the world is racist and even more racist than the US. That was my point. I have travelled a lot and have connections across the world through work. Racism is culturally acceptable in many places. I remember travelling on a train with a Russian acquaintance (a medical doctor) who was enchanted by some black kids. 'They're like little monkeys' she said out loud. An Italian friend of mine, from Milan, well educated (a hospital doctor) refers to people from southern Italy as 'blacks'. I could go on. There are racists everywhere. We are lucky in the UK where being a racist is not seen as a good look. The US may be far worse than us but in my experience it isn't one of the most racist places in the world.

Hi Harry! Hope you are doing well. Haven’t been on in a while as I took a little break from the virtual world for sanity. Thank you for your PM message to my question from months ago!

As to this topic - it’s an almost impossible endeavor to have a thoughtful discussion to your question online with so much nuance to the topic. To get anywhere we would first have to have an agreed upon definition of what racism is and then put that into scale and scope that includes politics and racial make up of a country (and within a country). For instance (I tried to find similar years but the data is a few years apart from each other but both within the last 6 yeara) the US is roughly 61% white/non Hispanic, 18% Hispanic and 13% black. England is roughly 85% white, 6% Asian and 3-4% black. Asian isn’t a race but that’s how it’s broken up. Racists are also allowed to be much louder and open in America than England. America also has the highest number of Asians outside of Asia and the highest number of (generalizing term) middle easterners outside of the Middle East. Obviously, just on those few different variables we would likely see very different metrics between just those two countries,

Within America, certain regions are much more racially diverse than other regions. I grew up and lived the majority of my life in the south, which, along with California, are one of the most racially diverse places to live in the world. Will race on race violence happen more in those areas than say Nebraska or a country with very high homogeneity? I’d would say the answer is of course. But one of my closest friends had last week off from his medical residency in Michigan and came down to visit us for the week and we did a big BBQ tour of Nashville. He’s an army brat born in Alaska to a Puerto Rican black dad and Alaskan Inuit mom. Being a military kid he has lived all over the country. He would tell you without a doubt he is treated differently almost exclusively in areas of the country with the highest degree of racial homogeneity and laughs when people from the upper Midwest talk about the racism in the south to then come down and see the racial breakup of people interacting with each other during everyday day to day activities. I find it interesting a common joke amongst a facility I visit in south with majority black employees and a facility I visit in Southern California with exclusively Hispanic employees is that Boston is the most racist city in the country. Which would be a very different answer if you asked most Europeans or looked at metrics such as race on race crime.

If you’re looking at metrics such as education attainment in the US, Asian and Nigerian immigrants blow white education levels out of the water meanwhile generational black Americans are very low performing. I read an article last week about a “senior” in high school in Baltimore had passed 3 classes in his four years of high school with a 0.13 gpa and is in the top 55% of his class (education in the US is a very different conversation) and all the while his mom thought he was about to graduate. We can’t even agree if that is a race issue or a cultural issue.

Anyways, that’s a lot of drivel to say it’s a difficult conversation to have, especially if people can’t even agree on assumptions to build and arguments and attain a solution. I’m back and will hopefully be more active on the board. I missed y’all and the general respect y’all have for each other and others is a net positive in my life. My next topic to open up with people about is cricket as I’ve really gotten into it, lol.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hi Harry! Hope you are doing well. Haven’t been on in a while as I took a little break from the virtual world for sanity. Thank you for your PM message to my question from months ago!

As to this topic - it’s an almost impossible endeavor to have a thoughtful discussion to your question online with so much nuance to the topic. To get anywhere we would first have to have an agreed upon definition of what racism is and then put that into scale and scope that includes politics and racial make up of a country (and within a country). For instance (I tried to find similar years but the data is a few years apart from each other but both within the last 6 yeara) the US is roughly 61% white/non Hispanic, 18% Hispanic and 13% black. England is roughly 85% white, 6% Asian and 3-4% black. Asian isn’t a race but that’s how it’s broken up. Racists are also allowed to be much louder and open in America than England. America also has the highest number of Asians outside of Asia and the highest number of (generalizing term) middle easterners outside of the Middle East. Obviously, just on those few different variables we would likely see very different metrics between just those two countries,

Within America, certain regions are much more racially diverse than other regions. I grew up and lived the majority of my life in the south, which, along with California, are one of the most racially diverse places to live in the world. Will race on race violence happen more in those areas than say Nebraska or a country with very high homogeneity? I’d would say the answer is of course. But one of my closest friends had last week off from his medical residency in Michigan and came down to visit us for the week and we did a big BBQ tour of Nashville. He’s an army brat born in Alaska to a Puerto Rican black dad and Alaskan Inuit mom. Being a military kid he has lived all over the country. He would tell you without a doubt he is treated differently almost exclusively in areas of the country with the highest degree of racial homogeneity and laughs when people from the upper Midwest talk about the racism in the south to then come down and see the racial breakup of people interacting with each other during everyday day to day activities. I find it interesting a common joke amongst a facility I visit in south with majority black employees and a facility I visit in Southern California with exclusively Hispanic employees is that Boston is the most racist city in the country. Which would be a very different answer if you asked most Europeans or looked at metrics such as race on race crime.

If you’re looking at metrics such as education attainment in the US, Asian and Nigerian immigrants blow white education levels out of the water meanwhile generational black Americans are very low performing. I read an article last week about a “senior” in high school in Baltimore had passed 3 classes in his four years of high school with a 0.13 gpa and is in the top 55% of his class (education in the US is a very different conversation) and all the while his mom thought he was about to graduate. We can’t even agree if that is a race issue or a cultural issue.

Anyways, that’s a lot of drivel to say it’s a difficult conversation to have, especially if people can’t even agree on assumptions to build and arguments and attain a solution. I’m back and will hopefully be more active on the board. I missed y’all and the general respect y’all have for each other and others is a net positive in my life. My next topic to open up with people about is cricket as I’ve really gotten into it, lol.

Exactly!

Excellent post :thumbsup:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Sitting in the back of a cab in Manhattan which was taking me home after a night out, my taxi was carved up by a car in front. The driver screamed "f***king n****r" at the driver of the other car. And this is just one example of my time living in NYC which is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the US. I simply cannot agree with your comment on this at all.

Meghan is preaching to the converted by talking to the people she wants to but more relevantly to the press and sympathetic interviewers. The wider cultural backdrop of the US is not just that represented by Oprah Winfrey and I suspect the response in rural Alabama to her comments would be rather different to the one in Montecito. She was challenged on nothing in that interview.

Don't get me wrong, she raised genuine issues and the interview was highly valuable in that respect. But I personally think the problems in her own country concerning race vastly surpass those we see here in the UK. Its just we are lowing hanging fruit when you are 5,000 miles away.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
for the first time I feel that Britain without a monarchy may actually happen in my lifetime!

Im in my 30's BTW

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sitting in the back of a cab in Manhattan which was taking me home after a night out, my taxi was carved up by a car in front. The driver screamed "f***king n****r" at the driver of the other car. And this is just one example of my time living in NYC which is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the US. I simply cannot agree with your comment on this at all.

Meghan is preaching to the converted by talking to the people she wants to but more relevantly to the press and sympathetic interviewers. The wider cultural backdrop of the US is not just that represented by Oprah Winfrey and I suspect the response in rural Alabama to her comments would be rather different to the one in Montecito. She was challenged on nothing in that interview.

Don't get me wrong, she raised genuine issues and the interview was highly valuable in that respect. But I personally think the problems in her own country concerning race vastly surpass those we see here in the UK. Its just we are lowing hanging fruit when you are 5,000 miles away.
That pretty much happened to me in Manchester. Cab driver then spent the whole journey moaning about '****ing Pakis'.

Was slightly pissed off when I paid the fare with no tip.

'No tip? '

'I'm not tipping a racist. As it happens I'm up here visiting one of my team - who is Pakistani'

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
for the first time I feel that Britain without a monarchy may actually happen in my lifetime!

Im in my 30's BTW
If you look at the revelations and the response then It opens up more cans of worms.

If HM The Queen responds with " Recollections may vary" in response to the Sussex's claims it looks like she is in denial about the issues raised.. Puts you in mind of Trump's " Alternative Facts" and Johnson's lies... Not a good look.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here