Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Greatest Rapper of All Time Died on March 9th

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I can see why rap music might be relevant to NYC or LA South Central, Philadelphia etc, with real ghettoes, no free healthcare, poor social security, inbuilt racism, but in multicultural Britain with a generous welfare system, free healthcare, abundant social housing and a culture of tolerance it has little resonance.

Oh yeah, it's all rosey in England, can't rap about being poor here, oh no. Those youngsters from broken homes that are surrounded by violence with no decent job prospects don't know they're born.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't see how you can come to the conclusion that only 1 per cent of rap is good without having first listened to a large amount of it. I don't like country but wouldn't slag it off or call it irellevant, because I don't know the first thing about it.

Small minded views in this thread.

What are you taking about?? I've been listening to rap music on the radio and on MTV for 30 years, longer than most rap fans have lived. How can anyone NOT hear rap music?

As for England being anywhere near akin to the USA in terms of black deprivation, apart from the huge social welfare gulf between the countries I think SLAVERY might have had something to do with it, maybe the fact a disproportionate amount of young black men in the USA end up in jail, gun ownership, the huge chasm that exists between rich and poor etc.

A white teen on Jobseekers Allowance in Peckham is a world away from the black son of a crack whore in a rundown Harlem slum.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What are you taking about?? I've been listening to rap music on the radio and on MTV for 30 years, longer than most rap fans have lived. How can anyone NOT hear rap music?

As for England being anywhere near akin to the USA in terms of black deprivation, apart from the huge social welfare gulf between the countries I think SLAVERY might have had something to do with it, maybe the fact a disproportionate amount of young black men in the USA end up in jail, gun ownership, the huge chasm that exists between rich and poor etc.

A white teen on Jobseekers Allowance in Peckham is a world away from the black son of a crack whore in a rundown Harlem slum.

Rewind back to the early 60s, swap rap for blues and then tell me what relevance slave inspired blues has to do with Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones and all the other bands that formed the 60s Brit invasion.

Normally you make a lot of sense but you're talking absolute scollobs on this one, I'm afraid. Sorry.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Okay, fair play. I would argue that not all hip hop is about guns, violence and 'bitches' as most seem to think it still is. A member of this very forum makes hip hop music about a variety of subjects including football. You can say you've been listenig to rap for 30 years but you clearly don't listen to a lot of it anymore or you wouldn't be saying a lot of the things you are (in my opinion, I'm not judging as I don't know you from adam, there's just a lot of very positive rap music around at the moment too). Anyhoo, enough said.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Rewind back to the early 60s, swap rap for blues and then tell me what relevance slave inspired blues has to do with Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones and all the other bands that formed the 60s Brit invasion.

Normally you make a lot of sense but you're talking absolute scollobs on this one, I'm afraid. Sorry.

This.

Virtually all contemporary music is of black origin, so why the FRIG do people feel the need to come out with this kind of crap in reference to hip hop. Did people ever accuse the Rolling Stones of trying to be black I wonder? (genuine question that, did anyone?)

A lot of rap that is succesful and gets major airplay is awful. Just like a lot of genres. It's something that gets mentioned and criticised a lot in, oh yeah, good hip hop.

Anyway, I always find that people who feel the need to go around telling other people that the music they like is shit don't really listen to much music anyway so sod em.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Anyway, I always find that people who feel the need to go around telling other people that the music they like is shit don't really listen to much music anyway so sod em.

I agree, but in this instance a load of rap lyrics were posted and praised for being some work of genius, which they're clearly not.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

All of those British artists were inspired MUSICALLY, but they weren't pretending to be black, or pretending that the situation of blacks in 50s and 60s USA was remotely relevant to white middle class England.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
All of those British artists were inspired MUSICALLY, but they weren't pretending to be black, or pretending that the situation of blacks in 50s and 60s USA was remotely relevant to white middle class England.

the oddest thing is many kids now of 3rd 4th or more generation fantastic west indian musical heritage have abandoned that in favour of pretending to be from south central LA or the bronx. it was funny enough when kids from lewisham who had only been to jamaica for a fortnight to visit their nan tried to talk like them, but now its ridiculous before you even bring white kids into the equation.

for all the newman boys on here whos dads and grandads are from the emerald isle, you dont go round saying top o the mornin to ya do you?

its all a bit silly. if it didnt encourage people to shoot each other.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bit harsh innit blud? What do you look for in lyrics?

This sort of thing - "Rush - The Spirit Of Radio"

Begin the day with a friendly voice,
A companion unobtrusive
Plays the song that's so elusive
And the magic music makes your morning mood.

Off on your way, hit the open road,
There is magic at your fingers
For the Spirit ever lingers,
Undemanding contact in your happy solitude.

Chorus
Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antennae bristle with the energy
Emotional feedback on timeless wavelength
Bearing a gift beyond price, almost free

All this machinery making modern music
Can still be open-hearted.
Not so coldly charted
It's really just a question of your honesty, yeah,
Your honesty.
One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I can't see how you can come to the conclusion that only 1 per cent of rap is good without having first listened to a large amount of it. I don't like country but wouldn't slag it off or call it irellevant, because I don't know the first thing about it.

Small minded views in this thread.

Is your user name from Dr Octagon's Blue Flowers by any chance? "Listen to my heart beat delete beep beep beep"?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19

A companion unobtrusive

Chorus

Not so coldly charted
Your honesty.

Oh right. Thats genius.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't know half as much about rap as Chappers or D'Angelo but I know great lyrics when I hear them. This is quite apt (and not at all coincidentally my favourite ever rap superstar)

[yt]zto0-tz1umQ[/yt]

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern

A companion unobtrusive

Chorus

Not so coldly charted
Your honesty.

Hourses for courses isn't it? See, I read that, and I think, that's really crap. I'm not just wilfully trying to disagree, it just sounds rubbish to me.

Anyway, you take the lyrics away from the melody/rhythm a lot often don't read so well.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
J Dilla (RIP) did more for the genre than all the wappers mentioned above without speaking a word.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

A black teen in peckham on jobseekers allowance is a world away from harlem , however much they try to dress themselves up as disenfranchised blah blah blah, it makes me laugh how certain members of so solid crew and dizzee rascal try to explain away their drug dealing histories by telling journalists 'i did what i had to do to survive', absolute unadulterated bollocks, i've lived in the area where dizzee rascal comes from,and still live in the area where a lot of so solid crew come from, there are lots of black and white kids in the area who sell drugs because they cant be arsed to work, the same way their are loads of black and white kids doing shit jobs for shit money because they'd rather have a little bit of self respect,it might suit rap fans from brighton to believe the sob stories , but thats their choice,lets face it ,a lot of the teenage gang killings among young black teenagers (and the problem is mainly among young black teenagers) is because the twats copy this gangsta rap culture from the states and the whine about wanting to escape from it.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
A black teen in peckham on jobseekers allowance is a world away from harlem , however much they try to dress themselves up as disenfranchised blah blah blah, it makes me laugh how certain members of so solid crew and dizzee rascal try to explain away their drug dealing histories by telling journalists 'i did what i had to do to survive', absolute unadulterated bollocks, i've lived in the area where dizzee rascal comes from,and still live in the area where a lot of so solid crew come from, there are lots of black and white kids in the area who sell drugs because they cant be arsed to work, the same way their are loads of black and white kids doing shit jobs for shit money because they'd rather have a little bit of self respect,it might suit rap fans from brighton to believe the sob stories , but thats their choice,lets face it ,a lot of the teenage gang killings among young black teenagers (and the problem is mainly among young black teenagers) is because the twats copy this gangsta rap culture from the states and the whine about wanting to escape from it.

well said but throw into the mix a good few thousand kids from war zones who are SERIOUSLY disturbed, kids abandoned cynically by their parents from west africa and thrown to the mercy of the state, all actively encouraged by some nobs on here as adding to the 'vibrancy' of multicultural britain, and it does up the ante a bit in some places.

still, its the authentic voice of the streets and these kids have SOMETHING TO SAY. we just dont understand.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
well said but throw into the mix a good few thousand kids from war zones who are SERIOUSLY disturbed, kids abandoned cynically by their parents from west africa and thrown to the mercy of the state, all actively encouraged by some nobs on here as adding to the 'vibrancy' of multicultural britain, and it does up the ante a bit in some places.

still, its the authentic voice of the streets and these kids have SOMETHING TO SAY. we just dont understand.
i agree what your saying , and think our policy on these kids is f***ing lunacy, but then again they arent killing people in surrey and sussex so its ok ,but one of so solid crew went to the sylvia young theatre school for fucks sake ! not exactly 'street' is it :lolol:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i agree what your saying , and think our policy on these kids is f***ing lunacy, but then again they arent killing people in surrey and sussex so its ok ,but one of so solid crew went to the sylvia young theatre school for fucks sake ! not exactly 'street' is it :lolol:

Asher D kicked off against a load of mums outside our local primary school where his kid goes, over a parking dispute outside the school gates, last year. shouting he was going to 'put one in' some mums who had obviously 'dissed' him. f***ing idiot.

they do what they have to do to survive. no they do what they have to do because they are f***ing bone idle and want some trainers but its hard to hold down a job as a millionaire gangster when you are monged on weed all day.

rappers are utter wankers and their music is shit.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
A black teen in peckham on jobseekers allowance is a world away from harlem , however much they try to dress themselves up as disenfranchised blah blah blah,

Are you sure mate? have you been to NY recently I would harbour a guess that the worse off there are better off than their equivalents here....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here