Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The great Vicente saga - 2012 edition [All quite exciting in the end]

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Castles Made of Sand

Bored now.

There a lot of session musicians (journeyman footballers) that think they can play like Jimi Hendrix (RIP) but they can't invent. Vicente was like that and Rafa knows, Gus knows and so does the new coach of Elbe.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
So why was he even negotiating a new deal? And judging by Poyets 90 - 95% quote was on the verge of signing until his mate at Elche showed an interest. Those 2 facts tell me that either Vicente or his agent are f***ing us around.

Yes I get the impression it was a case of "almost there, almost there" during negotiations, as a stalling tactic, waiting until the contract expires and then it would be "oops, no deal". Frankly I think we have been treated really badly, if not by Vicente, then by his management team. I think the work we have done to give him a chance and get him fit makes us deserving of a little better.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Yes I get the impression it was a case of "almost there, almost there" during negotiations, as a stalling tactic, waiting until the contract expires and then it would be "oops, no deal". Frankly I think we have been treated really badly, if not by Vicente, then by his management team. I think the work we have done to give him a chance and get him fit makes us deserving of a little better.

Exactly how I feel. Hero to Zero at the momment.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
So extremely bored with this situation grrrrrrrrrrr !!!

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Yes of course, I forget he was at Lavente from 16 to 19 years old, then at Valencia from 19 to 30 years old. Yes, he really isn't very loyal is he...
well to slag you empoyers off in public as he did at valencia I would not call that loyal What he's doing now renagging on a contract Do you call that loyal ? getting his mate to sign here then pissing off is that loyal ? Plus the fact he was inmjured most the time at valencia so unless some club like us came along He had no choice to be loyal because no one else would take that chance Yes very loyal that friend of yours

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Poyet is an employee of BHA, and in law acts on behalf of BHA as one of its senior representatives in the course of his work. It is therefore nothing like you offering a pay rise down the pub. If Gus makes a statement to the press publicly, it is reasonable to assume that he has executive authority on behalf of BHA to make the statement, otherwise it would be corrected. Everyone who read or heard the statement had no reason to believe Gus wasn't speaking on behalf of the club, and therefore it was representative of his employer.

Like the statements he made about Louis Suarez last season you mean?..Poyet is always shooting off at the mouth without putting his brain into gear.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Vicente has been with the club since the end of last august. This is the second negotiation process, he should be well aware of who has what authority and know that Gus doesn't have the power to promise him anything.

I'm not arguing the club are right and vicente is wrong, or vice versa (I think this whole mess is one big grey area, with situations not being as entirely predictable as some suggest (e.g. he knew he was having another baby, but he didn't know how hard it would be to live in a foreign country with a new born, or commute to one or whatever, he doesn't know how his wife is reacting to the second baby, etc.), I don't think letting a player go or not standing in his way necessarily equals giving him away for nothing, I think a lot of what some people see is bad behaviour is simply posturing or negotiation tactics, etc).

I am simply saying that Gus saying in the press, or even direct to Vicente he wouldn't force Vicente to stay isn't in any way legally binding.

So many people on here who would go back on an agreement or handshake. Hang your heads in shame!! I feel sorry for the people you ever deal with. As far as im concerned if you make a deal, either verbally or with a handshake then you stick to it!!

Perhaps Gus had his fingers crossed when he said it. lol

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So many people on here who would go back on an agreement or handshake. Hang your heads in shame!! I feel sorry for the people you ever deal with. As far as im concerned if you make a deal, either verbally or with a handshake then you stick to it!!

Perhaps Gus had his fingers crossed when he said it. lol

The 'deal' agreed (otherwise known as a contract) was that Albion had an option to extend Vicente's time here by one year if they so chose.

In effect, what Gus did was to offer an opinion of how he thought things would pan out in the future. His thoughts did nothing to change the terms of a legally binding contract into which both parties entered into voluntarily.

I assume you are not in business?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341297146.240226.jpg

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The 'deal' agreed (otherwise known as a contract) was that Albion had an option to extend Vicente's time here by one year if they so chose.

In effect, what Gus did was to offer an opinion of how he thought things would pan out in the future. His thoughts did nothing to change the terms of a legally binding contract into which both parties entered into voluntarily.

I assume you are not in business?

Like i said before - legally he signed for a second year, morally the club should stick by what Gus said and honour it if he doesnt want to stay.

Dont make statements like that if you are not going to honour what you said.

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Like i said before - legally he signed for a second year, morally the club should stick by what Gus said and honour it if he doesnt want to stay.

Dont make statements like that if you are not going to honour what you said.

Agree (I think) but too much focus here on what Gus said to the press - it's what Gus (and/or other club officials) said to Vicente that matters - and none of us know that

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As Rugrat says, nobody on here knows exactly what has been said however, it would not look too good on Poyet if he is giving statements to the press that have no bearing as to what has been discussed by the club behind the scenes. The management of the club/team would have sat down long before the end of the season to discuss what the squad plans were going forward so I would suggest that Poyet's comments reflected how the club were approaching the Vicente situation.

I think there are far too many vitriolic comments on here aimed at Vicente which are purely fuelled by intense disappointment that it looks like he won't be here next season. Some of them banging on about reneging on a written contract but ignoring the fact that the club, via Poyet's comments, are doing exactly the same thing, are laughable. Personally, if I was Vicente, I wouldn't have been too impressed with the club's comments. Like most footballers, he probably needs his ego boosted and it would have been better to say that they will invoke the option, possibly even before the season ended. Vicente would have know at that stage that the club clearly wanted him to stay and that if his agent were to get a move for him it would involve a fee. Gus's comments may well have been to let supporters know the situation but it would also have alerted other clubs to the fact Vicente may be available on a free and, seeing as he had proved his fitness, who wouldn't be interested. The other side of the coin from Vicente's point of view is that if there is a fee then this would reduce any signing on fee he might have negotiated.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Vicente signed the contract he should honour it. He is a professional footballer he should start to act professionally.

Gus's comments were not just 'we are going to let him walk away because we are nice'. They were 'we will not stand in his way if he could play at a higher level'. I do not think Elche qualifies in that regard.

If Vicente wanted to return to Spain he could have told us ages ago and we could have sorted something out. However his advisors have left things open until the very last minute knowing full well we wanted him to stay, whilst keeping their options open.

I'm sorry but this is disrupting our preparations for the forthcoming season, and everyone needs to get out of the playground and back round the table to sort this out.

This smacks of agents messing us around to me and Vicente may be caught in the middle.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
As Rugrat says, nobody on here knows exactly what has been said however, it would not look too good on Poyet if he is giving statements to the press that have no bearing as to what has been discussed by the club behind the scenes. The management of the club/team would have sat down long before the end of the season to discuss what the squad plans were going forward so I would suggest that Poyet's comments reflected how the club were approaching the Vicente situation.

I think there are far too many vitriolic comments on here aimed at Vicente which are purely fuelled by intense disappointment that it looks like he won't be here next season. Some of them banging on about reneging on a written contract but ignoring the fact that the club, via Poyet's comments, are doing exactly the same thing, are laughable. Personally, if I was Vicente, I wouldn't have been too impressed with the club's comments. Like most footballers, he probably needs his ego boosted and it would have been better to say that they will invoke the option, possibly even before the season ended. Vicente would have know at that stage that the club clearly wanted him to stay and that if his agent were to get a move for him it would involve a fee. Gus's comments may well have been to let supporters know the situation but it would also have alerted other clubs to the fact Vicente may be available on a free and, seeing as he had proved his fitness, who wouldn't be interested. The other side of the coin from Vicente's point of view is that if there is a fee then this would reduce any signing on fee he might have negotiated.
I presume the contract was a two way thing ? so what do you think vincente would be doing now if we had turned round and said we dont fancy you We are not going to honour the contract we signed And Poyet is notbacking out on what he said He [vincente ]can go if we get the right fee All the messing about seems to be coming from his end

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The comment from his agent not to expect Vicente back for pre-season until the contract dispute is sorted is quite bizarre if he has no intention of playing for us again. I don't expect him back as Vicente must be party to all this fannying around.

Waiting for Gus to lose patience and throw his toys out of the pram as he did with Calderon

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If that were the case, it would be possible for a disgruntled manager to agree to release every single player from their contract. You could have a team worth several hundred million pounds, and the manager could say to them all 'you can all go and get better contracts elsewhere, with a nice signing on fee' and that would be that.

Even in a senior position, I don't think Gus would have the power to do that.

No, to dissolve a contract both parties need to agree. Therefore both the club/manager and player need to agree the terms of that release. In this case Gus said Vicente wouldn't be held to his 2 year deal, Vicente accepted that. Let us not forget this was a clause. It wasn't a normal 2 year deal, it was a 1 year with an option. The club said they weren't going to take up that option if Vicente didn't want to stay.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here