• Monster Raving Looney Party

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I know they wanted him gone but the timing isn't great. Deputy Labour Leader suddenly quits at the start of the election campaign ... not a good look.

I expect many Labour MP's and plenty of Labour voters were relying on him to provide a moderate counterbalance/resistance to the hard left. Wouldn't surprise me if a few MP's jumped ship in the coming weeks especially if the polls continue to look grim.

Certainly not great. The Times yesterday had a front page lead about Watson quitting and a leader column inside (which would have been written earlier) about the Tories machine-gunning themselves in the foot over Grenfell, doctored videos and Welsh rape trials.

Both main party leaders look across the despatch box at utter fools. The election is either of theirs to lose. It is simply a question of who succeeds in being the least-worst over the next month.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Have Labour decided whether they will support remain or leave in a second referendum yet? That is the bit that is unclear. Laura Pidcock says that they have to have a special conference about it, but did not say when that would be.

Honest question, why does it actually matter? As everyone keeps saying, the job of MPs is to process brexit regardless of their personal views. So Labour negotiating a deal and enacting the results of a confirmatory referendum is perfectly consistent with that, whatever they might campaign for

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm in the Hornsey and Wood Green constituency, and in spite of a big win for Labour there last time around it seems like the Lib Dems think they have a chance. I am bombarded by post every other day - I hope the huge remain vote they think will be influential.
Whilst at the same time, a bit oddly, my Spanish missus gets the occasional join UKIP pamphlets. I don't think she'd entirely mind to throw herself out of the country at times.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Quoting a vote that is three years old is irrelevant to today.
Three weeks ago Boris Johnson had an agreed Brexit deal with the EU, passing its second reading with a majority of 30 votes. Why do you think he pulled it and went for a general election instead?

Going back to your quote, visas cost money, by employing more civil servants to issue them along with the associated red tape.
We need 12,000 doctors now, today, and 40,000 nurses now, today.
The UK already has more civil servants than the whole of the 28 countries in the EU put together. Why do we need to employ more civil servants to process something which is simple to do with Freedom of Movement?

Are all of these coming from Europe?

I had a good friend from Poland down in Teignmouth who worked in the NHS for six years as a nurse. Did all the shifts that no one else wanted, nights, weekends, Christmas day. She's gone home now, fed up with all the crap of Brexit and the feeling of being unwanted whilst working her ass off in an underfunded hospital.

No surprise there's vacancies. The laugh is that if we want her back apparently she has to pay over 400 quid to apply for a visa. As if, do they think working in our NHS is that much of a draw?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Honest question, why does it actually matter? As everyone keeps saying, the job of MPs is to process brexit regardless of their personal views. So Labour negotiating a deal and enacting the results of a confirmatory referendum is perfectly consistent with that, whatever they might campaign for

Well, firstly it may help some voters decide whether to vote for them or not. Secondly, it would help their negotiating position if it were made known that they actually believed in what they are negotiating.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
[tweet]1192712992363864064[/tweet]

Because there are some health practitioners in the EU that are not as good as people from elsewhere,but get priority.Jobs for white Europeans only.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Are you bothered about where they come from? We need qualified doctors and nurses to work here with the minimum of paperwork.
We also need them to work here without abuse and violence.

They can still come from Europe after Brexit,but will have to compete on a level playing field.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I had a good friend from Poland down in Teignmouth who worked in the NHS for six years as a nurse. Did all the shifts that no one else wanted, nights, weekends, Christmas day. She's gone home now, fed up with all the crap of Brexit and the feeling of being unwanted whilst working her ass off in an underfunded hospital.

No surprise there's vacancies. The laugh is that if we want her back apparently she has to pay over 400 quid to apply for a visa. As if, do they think working in our NHS is that much of a draw?
If it's not a draw,then why come from the Phillipines?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Well, firstly it may help some voters decide whether to vote for them or not. Secondly, it would help their negotiating position if it were made known that they actually believed in what they are negotiating.

The first thing is pointless, I want a referendum, I don't care how the individual MPs would vote in that referendum, they're 600 votes out of 35 million.

The second part - their negotiating position would be to soften what's already on the table, they really will find that the 'easiest deal in history'.

Jan 30, 2008
Looks like the silent majority will be out in force in December ,as I said reap what you sow RIP Corbyn and Swinson, no need for any frilly bullshit

Regards
DF

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The first thing is pointless, I want a referendum, I don't care how the individual MPs would vote in that referendum, they're 600 votes out of 35 million.

The second part - their negotiating position would be to soften what's already on the table, they really will find that the 'easiest deal in history'.

Well that's fine. You don't think it is important that you know how the potential government feels about a crucial issue. I am sure that many others will think it is important.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Because there are some health practitioners in the EU that are not as good as people from elsewhere,but get priority.Jobs for white Europeans only.

Europeans are white? Are you sure about that?
Where does it say they get priority? It is easier for work regulations not having to get visas but nowhere does it say they get priority in the interviews.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Well that's fine. You don't think it is important that you know how the potential government feels about a crucial issue. I am sure that many others will think it is important.

Well, with respect, both you and I know what they think. It will be exactly the same as in the first referendum. Some of them will support leaving the EU, most will want to remain. That was true for all (non-UKIP) parties in the 2016 referendum, and MP's from both sides were free to campaign how they wanted. I don't expect campaigning during a second referendum to be whipped one way or the other.

If we want to engage in idle speculation, one would assume the opposition leaders will support leaving with the deal as opposed to remain, although as the deal will be quite soft many of them may just leave the process altogether. The government on their part will I imagine be riven by factions, with some of them deciding they had got a good deal and wanting to support it, and many, including the coalition partners, adamant we should Remain. But thats all hypothetical, and as I postulate above, doesn't really matter, because its the 35 million of us that will decide.

I will also point out that the Cameron government legislated for the first referendum, despite the prime minister saying he wanted to Remain. It didn't stop Leave voters voting for the Tories on the basis that they will get a referendum.

This is exactly the same here, a Corbyn government will give us a second referendum, and I will vote for them on that basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here