Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Labour has promised an "irreversible shift" of power and investment to working people outside the south-east of England, if they win the election.

John McDonnell will pledge £150bn for schools, hospitals and housing on top of existing spending plans to be paid for through borrowing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50325059

Do the sums and equations behind figures like £150bn ever get published? All the article says is "paid for through borrowing"

Where's the detail on that?

I always wonder this when I read party manifestos. "we're going to do this" or "extra money will be made available for that" but with no word on how that's going to be achieved.

there wasnt in the last manifesto. they cost out the increases for fiscal budget, this investment is on top. it should worry us, because we have no idea if it is actually needed. we can argue for new or improved hospitals, schools, roads here and there, but do they add up to £150bn? its a blank cheque. i'm not even sure you could find enough projects to spend that money on in one parliament, they take time to plan time to build. and this is on top of the £250bn green deal funds.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You're right about development though. It's called HS2. Devised by the Tory government it is turning Birmingham city centre in to a building site, constricting the almost uncountable numbers of homeless people off their heads on Spice to roam the streets around New St, Moor St and Snow Hill. I say "roam", I mean "collapse on the pavement on the verge of death". And HS2? Overbudget by 22 BILLION and not delivering anything until 2031. All on the Tories' watch.

I'd say the government's rail policy country wide is a disaster and it's no better in the Midlands than anywhere else. I'd also say, given the number of aforementioned addicted homeless people, that your beloved mayor has his priorities wrong.

Given Crossrail is coming up to an anniversary of 2 years late all resources would be switched to that as opposed to HS2

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
2186bb0a5dee725cd363d4a765e94f04.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION], you’re completely right, Ian Austin, who resigned from the Labour Party 9 months ago, is in fact the Prime Ministerial Trade Envoy to Israel, a Tory appointment.

Funny how no main stream media have mentioned this, is almost as if they are biased, but, well done Mr Austin, that should see your job safe if the Toriesare still in power come December 13th.

I listened to the interview on Radio4 this morning and was completely stunned that Justin Webb I think it was, didn't once ask him about his appointment by the Tory Party. I mean completely stunned that you would omit that question.

Not to mention Ian Austin also put the knife into Ed Milliband and David Cameron for that matter, or anyone else that 'continued to let immigrants into this country'. On his platform of calling Corbyn a racist and not a patriot, this was a man that was proposing policy described as 'content that belonged with the BNP'.

He is an embittered individual happy to sell his voice and opinions for the Tory £££.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Simple clerical error or something more sinister?

The Tory majority in the 2017 election was only 2,400. Around 3,000 Swindon voters were sent letters telling them they weren't registered to vote. They will be sent further letters admitting it was 'all a mistake'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-50329491

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I listened to the interview on Radio4 this morning and was completely stunned that Justin Webb I think it was, didn't once ask him about his appointment by the Tory Party. I mean completely stunned that you would omit that question.

Not to mention Ian Austin also put the knife into Ed Milliband and David Cameron for that matter, or anyone else that 'continued to let immigrants into this country'. On his platform of calling Corbyn a racist and not a patriot, this was a man that was proposing policy described as 'content that belonged with the BNP'.

He is an embittered individual happy to sell his voice and opinions for the Tory £££.

Not getting much Tory £££-the 'jobs' are unpaid.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You can make light of it, but when a respected ex Labour minister says the current leader was "completely unfit" to be PM it has to carry weight.

It will carry weight if you do no homework or research. When something like this comes up, whether Labour, Tory, Lib Dem and an individual is stabbing their former party in the back, my first thought is never 'I knew they were rotten', my first thought is always 'what are they gaining personally by doing this, and what is their motivation?'.

An MP that also stabbed Ed Milliband in the back, as well as Corbyn, and one that as soon as he left quite happily took a well paid job from the Tories. One who has rallied against immigrants and immigration, and rather than turn to a moderate party like the Lib Dems, leaps a political divide to side with the Conservatives. Honestly, a man of principle? Do me a favour.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A strong statement on the front page of the Jewish Chronicle today ..

jc-fp.jpg

The vast majority of British Jews consider Jeremy Corbyn to be an antisemite. In the most recent poll, last month, the figure was 87 per cent.

Putting oneself in the shoes of another person, or another group, can be difficult. But we believe it is important — and urgent — that you do that. Perhaps the fact that nearly half (47 per cent) of the Jewish community said in that same poll that they would “seriously consider” emigrating if Mr Corbyn wins on December 12 will give you an indication of what it feels like to be a British Jew at a time when the official opposition is led by a man widely held to be an antisemite.

There is racism on all sides of politics and it must be called out wherever it is found. History has forced our community to be able to spot extremism as it emerges — and Jeremy Corbyn’s election as Labour leader in 2015 is one such example.

Throughout his career, he has allied with and supported antisemites such as Paul Eisen, Stephen Sizer and Raed Salah. He has described organisations like Hamas, whose founding charter commits it to the extermination of every Jew on the planet, as his “friends”. He has laid a wreath to honour terrorists who have murdered Jews. He has insulted “Zionists” — the word used by antisemites when they mean “Jew” because they think it allows them to get away with it — as lacking understanding of “English irony”.

There were some who hoped that he might change as leader. The opposite has happened. The near total inaction of Mr Corbyn and the rest of the Labour leadership in dealing with antisemites in the party has both emboldened them and encouraged others.

Indeed, Mr Corbyn and his allies have actively impeded action against the racists.

Instead of listening to and learning from mainstream Jewish bodies such as the Board of Deputies and Jewish Leadership Council, Mr Corbyn has treated them and their recommendations with contempt — and given support to fringe organisations set up solely to deny the existence of Labour antisemitism.

Is it any wonder Jews worry about the prospect of Mr Corbyn as prime minister?

Yet, while we see all this, we also see an election being fought in which antisemitism in the Labour Party, inspired by its leader, is mentioned only occasionally as an afterthought. Brexit, austerity, the NHS, education and myriad other issues are, of course, vital. But how can the racist views of a party leader — and the deep fear he inspires among an ethnic minority — not be among the most fundamental of issues?

That is why we are seeking your attention. If this man is chosen as our next prime minister, the message will be stark: that our dismay that he could ever be elevated to a prominent role in British politics, and our fears of where that will lead, are irrelevant.

We will have to conclude that those fears and dismay count for nothing.

But we think you do care.

We believe that the overwhelming majority of British people abhor racism.We ask only that, when you cast your vote,you act on that.

https://www.thejc.com/comment/leaders/to-all-our-fellow-british-citizens-1.491812

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Trade envoys are unsalaried according to the Institute for Government. There are currently 15 of them, 3 of which are not Conservative.

Yeah, you’d definitely pay out if your own pocket to be Johnson’s trade envoy to Israel. I can almost feel myself looking up “Tel Aviv” on sky scanner & checking my debit card as I type. Who needs a salary these days anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Trade envoys are unsalaried according to the Institute for Government. There are currently 15 of them, 3 of which are not Conservative.

Indeed ...

Mr Austin said it was "a complete lie" to say he was working for the Tories. He said he had been appointed by the government as a trade envoy, an unpaid role, in July "along with 27 other MPs and peers from different parties".

That's 2 ex Labour MP's, (see John Woodcock) saying they will now vote Tory. Combined with the shock resignation of the Deputy Labour Leader .... not a great 24 hours for team Corbyn.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Indeed ...

Mr Austin said it was "a complete lie" to say he was working for the Tories. He said he had been appointed by the government as a trade envoy, an unpaid role, in July "along with 27 other MPs and peers from different parties".

That's 2 ex Labour MP's, (see John Woodcock) saying they will now vote Tory. Combined with the shock resignation of the Deputy Labour Leader .... not a great 24 hours for team Corbyn.

And being an 'unpaid' trade envoy with connections to big business and international trade has led to opportunities that might mean he can walk away from his MPs salary. Of course not.

And John Woodcock, shacks up with The Spectator deputy editor and low and behold, becomes a Tory. And they say never let a women change you. :D

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
What are the latest election Polls saying out of interest???
Regards
DL

Probably the same as election night over the past few elections, bang wrong.
Just like you thicko, they are a waste of time and this election will be even worse this time as people seem reluctant to own up to who they voted for.
There will be many who voted Tory but don't want to admit they voted for tosser Johnson and the past 10 years of misery and those that voted for Corbyn because of the risk and don't want to be tarred with the working class brush.
That idiot that turns up on election night from a polling company is about as useful as PPF hanging out in a job centre, a waste of everybody's time.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yeah, you’d definitely pay out if your own pocket to be Johnson’s trade envoy to Israel. I can almost feel myself looking up “Tel Aviv” on sky scanner & checking my debit card as I type. Who needs a salary these days anyway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure he doesn't claim any expenses either, has to make do without a daily meal allowance, always flies economy and stays in Airbnb's rather than 5* hotels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here