Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 29 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This is why I rarely debate politics online. Original question answered with a new question... Nope no one voted on 'the version of leave served up by Boris' but they did vote LEAVE. It aint rocket science. Even a wally like me gets it.

So no one voted for what BJ has delivered, bodes well....

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
LEAVE MEANS LEAVE:dunce:
regards
DF
LEAVE MEANS LEAVE AND BE PART OF A FREE TRADEZONE BETWEEN ICELAND AND THE BORDER OF RUSSIA, AS DETAILED IN THE OFFICIAL VOTE LEAVE DOCUMENTATION TO EXPLAIN THE BALLOT LEAVE OPTION AS SET OUT BY THE REFERENDUM ACT :dunce:
regards

BV

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
PM pulled his own Withdrawal Bill which would have seen us leave the EU in some form, thereby respecting the referendum, but he pulled it. We could be out.

But yeah, the Lib Dems.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We didn't vote on the deal, we voted leave or remain. If the Brexit Party won the election and we left without a deal they would have at least acted on the basis of a democratic vote. The Lib Dems have said they will completely ignore the referendum and stop Brexit at all costs: undemocratic. Hence they should remove the 'Democrat' part of their name.

Surely if we vote in the LDs, with stopping Brexit as their central policy, that is a democratic decision that supercedes the referendum as it was the result of a democratic vote called by the same party that called the original referendum?

I don't know why everyone's pissing their pants though. There's more chance of me scoring against Norwich tomorrow than Swinson winning the GE.

It is, however, an opposing party's right, indeed their whole point, to make policy that opposes that of the government.

Perhaps the name should stand after all, otherwise we're in danger of running the country on the basis of referendum followed by dictatorship.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We didn't vote on the deal, we voted leave or remain. If the Brexit Party won the election and we left without a deal they would have at least acted on the basis of a democratic vote. The Lib Dems have said they will completely ignore the referendum and stop Brexit at all costs: undemocratic. Hence they should remove the 'Democrat' part of their name.

This came up a couple of days ago and I still don't understand it. If enough people voted for the LDs so that they form a government then it would be perfectly democratic to withdraw Article 50 and cancel Brexit - that's how democracy works.

By the same token, it would be fine for the BP, if they formed the government, to ignore Johnson's deal and push for a Brexit on WTO terms - again, that's how democracy works. Decisions made by a previous government can't bind a new one, if they did, there'd be no point in having elections

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It is, however, an opposing party's right, indeed their whole point, to make policy that opposes that of the government.

The result wasn't a policy of any government though, it was a public vote. This isn't opposing another party, it is opposing a vote the nation took. I don't like the result, but neither do I like a platform of just ignoring it.

They supported and instigated the People's Vote campaign and yet have turned their back on it. Why change?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The result wasn't a policy of any government though, it was a public vote. This isn't opposing another party, it is opposing a vote the nation took. I don't like the result, but neither do I like a platform of just ignoring it.

It's opposing government policy which was based on a flawed and advisory referendum instigated by the same government. If you don't like the policy don't vote Lib Dem - I don't think many will.

They supported and instigated the People's Vote campaign and yet have turned their back on it. Why change?

Because they're a gang of oddballs and disenfranchised Tories who, if you believe Peter Kyle's FB post, can't make their mind up tactically at all. Kyle says there were numbers in the HoC for a confimatory referendum and that's one of the reasons Boris withdrew the bill. The only conclusion I can draw on both events is that LD strategists don't think Remain would win a second vote.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So when was the public vote on BJ's deal remind me?

There is one on 12th December but its getting buried in an election, any proper vote has been refused incase he doesn't get the answer he wants..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Because they're a gang of oddballs and disenfranchised Tories who, if you believe Peter Kyle's FB post, can't make their mind up tactically at all. Kyle says there were numbers in the HoC for a confimatory referendum and that's one of the reasons Boris withdrew the bill. The only conclusion I can draw on both events is that LD strategists don't think Remain would win a second vote.

Can't disagree with you there.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

I don't really care about Lib Dems positioning, although I happen to disagree and it would put me off voting for them (as though I ever would to be fair).

Labour's position (very straighforward and consistent for some time: negotiate a softish deal and give us all a vote on that v remain) may be regularly branded as 'confusing' and 'contradictory' but it seems to me to be the only sensible offer on the table from the different parties.

But the Lib Dems do have every right to re-set their policy as they wish ahead of a general election, and it's easy enough to do when you know you will not win, or even come close and logical in terms of maximising their vote share.

What really annoys me is the Lib Dem underhand manipulation with the whole 'tactical voting' thing, pretending, in effect, that to 'stop brexit' the correct vote is always Lib Dem - even where Labour are OBVIOUSLY the main opposition. That stinks.

But from what i have seen of Lib Dem political tactics up close, it doesn't surprise me. They aren't as cuddly as they try to make out!

D

Deleted member 2719

The man 'wears the mask of deceit'.

Be careful of what you wish for.

Attachments

• Jeremy Corbyn's Fairy Tale Policies For Gullible Students Or NSC Dinosaurs.png
    Jeremy Corbyn's Fairy Tale Policies For Gullible Students Or NSC Dinosaurs.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 110

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Sure it’s on here already but Peter Kyle MP for Hove and Portslade has set up a crowd fund page for his election campaign, guess Momentum haven’t coughed up then!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here