Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
WHO: Zero evidence that the new COVID strain is deadlier.

I know it’s a variant rather than a strain but that’s the quote.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

I have a gut feeling based on scientific research about how previous virus outbreaks have occurred, that even though this strain ‘may’ be more transmissible there will be a reduction in mortality rate, it’s been said a few times on this thread but viruses are clever little things, a virus that kills its hosts is a virus that would eventually die out and so quite often a virus will evolve into being less deadly. Time will tell of course but based on history, I think it’s highly likely it will happen at some point.

Also pretty remarkable that the U.K. has vaccinated 500000 out of the total of 2.3m vaccinated worldwide, for once we ARE world leaders :lolol: Until we all start growing another head of course.... :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have a gut feeling based on scientific research about how previous virus outbreaks have occurred, that even though this strain ‘may’ be more transmissible there will be a reduction in mortality rate, it’s been said a few times on this thread but viruses are clever little things, a virus that kills its hosts is a virus that would eventually die out and so quite often a virus will evolve into being less deadly. Time will tell of course but based on history, I think it’s highly likely it will happen at some point.

Whilst it is speculation, my understanding is theres a decent chance this is right - usually, the more transmissible a virus is, the weaker the effects are. Here’s hoping.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst it is speculation, my understanding is theres a decent chance this is right - usually, the more transmissible a virus is, the weaker the effects are. Here’s hoping.

It's early days, but thus far hospitalisation rates in the areas where the new variant is now prevalent are on a par with other areas, so the indications are that infections are converting to serious illness at about the rate we'd expect. Whilst this wouldn't be good news from the "let's hope it's less harmful" perspective, it would be good news from the "let's hope it's not more harmful" angle.

I guess it's too early to know whether those hospitalisations convert to deaths at a similar rate also.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Its amazing how often its referred to as a new strain, by thick journalists, the BBC and even Nicola Sturgeon.

The current vaccines should work against a variant, but if it was a new strain, all bets would be off.

Yoda

English & European
It's early days, but thus far hospitalisation rates in the areas where the new variant is now prevalent are on a par with other areas, so the indications are that infections are converting to serious illness at about the rate we'd expect. Whilst this wouldn't be good news from the "let's hope it's less harmful" perspective, it would be good news from the "let's hope it's not more harmful" angle.

I guess it's too early to know whether those hospitalisations convert to deaths at a similar rate also.

On the latest comms we've just had in my NHS CSU, it is suggesting 1 in 3 will show no symptoms. So the healthier percentage not showing any symptoms has gone from 40% to 66%, but yet for the most vulnerable, there appears to be no change. Bit of a mixed bag really in term of good news if this turns out to be the case.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
I know this is the third of fourth time I've shared news surrounding the new variant not being a problem for vaccines, but until the scaremongerers in the media stop sharing panic-inducing headlines on this topic, I'll post any remotely new good news on this matter:

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1341387794493693953?s=20

Brilliant thread here on the exact science behind the new mutation and how that interacts with the vaccines (it's mostly based on a link to a full paper on lab mouse tests of a similar type of vaccine), for anyone seeking more understanding. Also, for anyone with twitter, I would strongly suggest giving Florian Krammer a follow, he's been a voice of reason throughout the whole pandemic and generally shares more good news than bad.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
On the latest comms we've just had in my NHS CSU, it is suggesting 1 in 3 will show no symptoms. So the healthier percentage not showing any symptoms has gone from 40% to 66%, but yet for the most vulnerable, there appears to be no change. Bit of a mixed bag really in term of good news if this turns out to be the case.

Sorry, do you mean 2 in 3?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1341436843934531586[/TWEET]

I’ve also read that vaccinating just the most vulnerable 5-10% of a population (3.3m-6.6m in our instance) would make a huge difference to death rates.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Great news. Do you know/have you read how long it will take to work through all the over 80s?

As said above, really about Oxford coming online.

Everything I’m reading now is pointing towards them being pretty confident on a 28th/29th December approval. Aim is for 1.4m vaccinated a week by end of December, with the Oxford vaccine then speeding things up quite a lot.

There are 3.2m over 80s in the UK, so you’d hope they would be fully covered by the end of January, if not before.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here