Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The best Christmas present I could ask for would be for the Oxford vaccine to be approved, 4 million doses are ready and on standby for the U.K, it’s the ultimate game changer against this virus for us and the rest of the world, it’s the lowest cost and easily stored (only refrigerators needed rather than the extreme freezers needed for the Pfizer vaccine) vaccine out of every vaccine being produced.

They sound very positive about the data so you would think it must be very likely to be approved, hopefully they have done some deeper digging on why some people who only had one jab had more immunity, the vaccination regime would be much simpler if we could just give 1 dose rather than the suggested 2

’’As a decision on the Oxford vaccine looms, the MHRA, is thought to be deliberating over whether to give the jab to people in two doses, as was originally intended, or to give them 1.5 after a small part of the trial found it appeared to work better this way’’

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I’d love to know how many doses of the Oxford have been stockpiled. Hopefully, we’ll just be worrying about logistics rather than about running out of stocks of this one.

My understanding is we have 4million ready to go, with a further 15m doses with “ingredients mixed and ready to be filled into vials and shipped in a matter of days”.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The best Christmas present I could ask for would be for the Oxford vaccine to be approved, 4 million doses are ready and on standby for the U.K, it’s the ultimate game changer against this virus for us and the rest of the world, it’s the lowest cost and easily stored (only refrigerators needed rather than the extreme freezers needed for the Pfizer vaccine) vaccine out of every vaccine being produced.

They sound very positive about the data so you would think it must be very likely to be approved, hopefully they have done some deeper digging on why some people who only had one jab had more immunity, the vaccination regime would be much simpler if we could just give 1 dose rather than the suggested 2

Lots of reports (leaks ?) indicating this will be next week. It’s a massive, massive issue. If this is approved, there are millions of doses (19m I think) that are either ready or can be made ready within hours and capacity for up to 100m very quickly.

If the logistics can be sorted (get the ****ing army in, they will sort it - again leaks indicate they are already well advanced) we can crack through vast numbers of people very, very quickly.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just to add to my earlier post as well if the vaccine is approved there will be 40 Million doses available by March. It’s just huge, it’s like a play off final, would be nice to end this shit show of a year with the news that normality is within touching distance.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
This is absolutely extraordinary.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...ls-to-stranded-lorry-drivers-in-kent-12171358

The inherent kindness of people shines through at every opportunity. It's such an impressive gesture on a grand scale and I'm sure it was very much appreciated by those in the trucks. Full respect to the volunteers, organisers and chefs for getting it done. Genuinely heartwarming.

I was caught in this, luckily my fridge was stocked up, so was able to let other drivers have mine. I was able to cook spag bol for myself and 4 other drivers on the M20 last night. I am one of the lucky ones I will get home for Christmas, unfortunately 3 of the other drivers who I cooked for 2 Polish, 1 French wont. They may have to stay in there trucks for another 3 days.
Pissing and shitting on the grass verge. Feel so sorry for them.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Mrs Peteinblack (a nurse-practitioner) was phoned this evening to be told that her application to become a member of the Bath (Somerset) vaccination team has been accepted - starts in a fortnight.

She is thrilled, and I am so proud of her :)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

’’As a decision on the Oxford vaccine looms, the MHRA, is thought to be deliberating over whether to give the jab to people in two doses, as was originally intended, or to give them 1.5 after a small part of the trial found it appeared to work better this way’’

I think this was half a dose then a full dose. That is - two jabs still. It came about because they accidentally gave people half the amount in the first jab, and they reckon it's more effective as that first 0.5 is a good primer. But - the good news with this is that it means that producing the same amount will vaccinate more people.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
This is a "good News" thread, no politics please.
My profound apologies. I said it with no intent to be political. Merely a clearly poor attempt to be funny. I will remove myself from the thread immediately. It's been a good useful tool that has kept me going through all this and for that I thank you all.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Some people really struggle with the concept of this thread.

This is a polite reminder that this is the good news thread.

Once again it was a poor attempt at humour. Without this thread I would've gone under long ago. Apologies for any offence caused. Happy Christmas one and all. Stay positive. Mines all gone now. Here's hoping I can get it back

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Once again it was a poor attempt at humour. Without this thread I would've gone under long ago. Apologies for any offence caused. Happy Christmas one and all. Stay positive. Mines all gone now. Here's hoping I can get it back

Chill out - it was obviously a joke - suspect most (like me) simply didn’t comment to avoid taking this great thread off track as has happened a couple of times. No drama, keep smiling [emoji106][emoji16]

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Chill out - it was obviously a joke - suspect most (like me) simply didn’t comment to avoid taking this great thread off track as has happened a couple of times. No drama, keep smiling [emoji106][emoji16]

Cheers. Particularly bad day for me yesterday and then those 2 comments tipped me over the edge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here