Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As said above, really about Oxford coming online. Everything I’m reading now is pointing towards them being pretty confident on a 28th/29th December approval. Aim is for 1.4m vaccinated a week by end of December, with the Oxford vaccine then speeding things up quite a lot.

There are 3.2m over 80s in the UK, so you’d hope they would be fully covered by the end of January, if not before.

Which December?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks. So even by the end of December we should have approx 2 million people vaccinated? Bearing in mind that would be the most vulnerable 2 million, surely that alone will make a big difference to death figures in January?

There’s quite a lag so I suspect it’ll be late Jan before the numbers start improving, but when they do I suspect it could be a rapid improvement.........

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Thanks. So even by the end of December we should have approx 2 million people vaccinated? Bearing in mind that would be the most vulnerable 2 million, surely that alone will make a big difference to death figures in January?

It should do! Of course, it's hard to be sure how much of a difference as we don't know exactly what would happen without, but we can be sure that it IS making a difference.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Hopefully, although exactly how quickly things ramp up seems a very inexact science.

I’ve felt for a while now that we’d hope to see some effect from vaccinations beginning late January/early February.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

The caveat being that will only be the first jab. Add two weeks on to the timescale and add in the reporting lag and that may be nearer the truth.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
My over 80 next door neighbour lives on his own. His only real contact is with his only son, us, neighbours and the people he meets. Covid has meant he has had to be careful.
This afternoon he will have the covid vaccine. Made me feel good for him and optimistic for us all.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
My dad had a phonecall at midday today saying come to Eastbourne and we'll do it today. He jumped straight into the car and was back within an hour and a half. Mum is 80 but they couldn't do her.

So it seems today is for 81 year old's and surname C in the alphabet.

Marvellous.

edit - they live in Seaford

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My dad had a phonecall at midday today saying come to Eastbourne and we'll do it today. He jumped straight into the car and was back within an hour and a half. Mum is 80 but they couldn't do her.

So it seems today is for 81 year old's and surname C in the alphabet.

Marvellous.

edit - they live in Seaford

I’m finding it really comforting to hear about people actually being vaccinated..........I think I already know as many people now that have had their first jab as who have actually tested positive since it started.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here