Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Wasn’t it Hancock who said once the 400000 most clinically vulnerable people are vaccinated that death rates should reduce quite significantly? Can’t find the article now but I’m certain he said it, with 350k vaccinated so far this should lead to a significant reduction in 3/4 weeks.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Wasn’t it Hancock who said once the 400000 most clinically vulnerable people are vaccinated that death rates should reduce quite significantly? Can’t find the article now but I’m certain he said it, with 350k vaccinated so far this should lead to a significant reduction in 3/4 weeks.

Well you need two vaccinations, three weeks apart, so no one at the moment has been fully vaccinated.

That said the 95% efficacy was based on two rounds, does anyone know if one round provides any level of immunity?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Well you need two vaccinations, three weeks apart, so no one at the moment has been fully vaccinated.

That said the 95% efficacy was based on two rounds, does anyone know if one round provides any level of immunity?
The BMJ quotes Pfizer's vaccine being 52% effective after one dose. So it will give some immunity I guess.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex

Two rounds re-enforces the response, but there is a high likelihood that a single vaccination is better than nothing. But I'm not aware that any studies tested that on its own, so we can't say how much better it is - all we can know is not as effective as the results for two.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Hence why I said if 350k have received their first doses, in 3/4 weeks there should be significant reductions, given by then a high % of those will have received their second dose, I believe from the results of the trials the Pfizer vaccine said the first dose is a priming dose and the second dose a sort of booster shot - leading to a 95% protection rate 1 week after the second dose.

Oddly the oxford vaccine apparently offered more protection to some people who only had one dose, which is why I would guess it’s taking a while to be approved.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
snipe b.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Daughter just told me she's getting her first jab tomorrow..........really relieved, as well as working with the (covid infested) elderly 100% of the time she has some immune system deficiencies of her own. Irony is she's quite probably already had it (given degree of exposure she's had) and been asymptomatic but still good news.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
To bump this back up the board - my Nan had her vaccine at Royal South Hants on Saturday. She and my mum said it went really smoothly and was very well organised, lots of people being vaccinated but in and out in no time at all.

Second jab booked for 9th January.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Some people won’t get to see their in-laws this Christmas.

As I said before, that's a massive positive for me, can't stand the father-in-law. Half a million of the most vulnerable people in the country have had a vaccine that even with one dose has over 50% efficacy, that's the better news.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
EMA has now approved the Pfizer vaccine for the EU - vaccinations to begin Europe-wide from 27th-29th December onwards.

Very quickly the number of people vaccinated worldwide will outnumber the death toll.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here