Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Received a message from my GP practise here in Eastbourne, everything is in hand and will be contacted prior to my turn for vaccine administration. The light at the end of this tunnel is getting brighter, roll on 2021 and a return to some sort of normality.

Can I be rude enough to ask your age?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think the hope - once we have Oxford - is that it’ll be millions per week.

It sounds ambitious knowing our leaders ability to screw even the easiest things up. I hope they mobilise the Army and anyone else capable and really do develop a rapid 'drive through' capability. Then it may be millions.

I fear the Telegraph article is perhaps a bit ambitious and we'll all still be waiting to get to our local surgery and all the complete bollox that goes with that.

But it is the good news thread and your link says between 26 Feb and 15 Mar and I'd certainly take that now if offered (thanks for the link btw)

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Have to say this thread has really kept me going, when surrounded by so much negativity in the world, when at times I have become so depressed this is just it, life forever. This has shown me there is hope out there, hope that this might end. Shout out Mellotron for contributing so much, and keeping people so positive,

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Have to say this thread has really kept me going, when surrounded by so much negativity in the world, when at times I have become so depressed this is just it, life forever. This has shown me there is hope out there, hope that this might end. Shout out Mellotron for contributing so much, and keeping people so positive,

Shout out to all those keeping it positive. I struggle constantly. Anything that eases that helps so much

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Yeah, I feel the same. Really appreciate [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]'s digging at the coal face of covid information. :salute:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
According to your calculator thing, I am due 26th Feb to 13th March. 66 YOA and no underlying health issues. Although living in Wales doesn't appear to make any difference.

The calculator looks like it only assumes 1 million vaccinations per week across the UK. It’s going to be way more than that once the Oxford vaccine is rolled out. There’s around 9000 GP surgeries across the country, which should be able to deal with about 3-4 million alone, and that’s before you account for pharmacies that are able to administer it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The calculator looks like it only assumes 1 million vaccinations per week across the UK. It’s going to be way more than that once the Oxford vaccine is rolled out. There’s around 9000 GP surgeries across the country, which should be able to deal with about 3-4 million alone, and that’s before you account for pharmacies that are able to administer it.

Even better - they are going to be preparing large vaccination centres in the same way they have testing centres - sports grounds etc.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

I presume they will have factored the % of refusals from the 70 year olds? Have you any idea what that could equate to?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I presume they will have factored the % of refusals from the 70 year olds? Have you any idea what that could equate to?

More refusals means sooner sensible people can get it.

I have no idea what the refusal rate is, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the percentage of any-vax conspiracy nutters is similar to that of those who were convinced that C19 was spread by 5G, which a yougov survey found was about 8%.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
On the calculator you can overwrite both fields. I used, for example 1.75m per week, and a 77% uptake, which then auto calculates the time period to complete the entire exercise, and below that shows the number of people ahead of you in the queue, and the dates window for your vaccination.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This thread is a good place for retaining perspective, a reminder that we are travelling through this pandemic, from beginning to end.

There are moments when it all feels a bit hopeless and endless - my wife is really struggling after the news last night, trying to work out what to do next week.

Keep going. This WILL end.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
This thread is a good place for retaining perspective, a reminder that we are travelling through this pandemic, from beginning to end.

There are moments when it all feels a bit hopeless and endless - my wife is really struggling after the news last night, trying to work out what to do next week.

I have really low days when announcements come and after the last one I thought we would get through Christmas before the next so yesterday hit hard.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Best wishes to you and your family and especially your wife. I am sure she will benefit from your continued positivity.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

Thanks for all the information and positivity it brings to this thread, I think I've said it before that it is a god send at the moment.

My wife is also really struggling after the news last night, she had all her hopes pinned on being able to see her mum at Christmas after only seeing her twice this year since giving birth to our daughter in February. Now it's looking highly unlikely they'll be able to come down from Manchester as its not practical to drive down and back on the same day. Not only is she in tears but so is the mother-in-law.

Easter, it's not far away. We've done well for the last 9 months, put up with all the restrictions and so far, knock on wood, we've been fine. My parents are fine, my brother and his family (despite my sister-in-law suffering long Covid) are pretty much fine, my sister is OK despite running an in home care company. The end is in sight, we can do this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here