Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Dad had his vaccine successfully today at St Augustine's church hall. It was a well oiled machine full of lovely people - the whole thing took around an hour (a few stages to go through and 15 minutes to wait after the jab) and Dad at 82 seemed to be one of the youngest there. Great work from everyone to get this all set up and working so quickly.

Hi DD,

Pleased to hear it all went well with your father yesterday,

I’m taking my mum there tomorrow and just wondered did you use the entrance in Stanford Avenue, Florence Road or on the corner?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Hi DD,

Pleased to hear it all went well with your father yesterday,

I’m taking my mum there tomorrow and just wondered did you use the entrance in Stanford Avenue, Florence Road or on the corner?

Hi, use the main entrance on Stanford Ave. You exit out of the side entrance into Florence Road (I think). You basically work your way through the church and exit out the back. Good luck.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very good antigen test
[TWEET]1339847659838967808[/TWEET]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Telegraph reporting that by end of this Sunday over 500,000 people will have been vaccinated. That would suggest;

Week 1 - 140,000
Week 2 - 360,000

Decent increase in speed, Oxford approval will also multiply this big time. Also I believe only around 200 of a possible over 1,000 GP practices have started vaccinations so far.

Last edited:

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Brilliant news for our American cousins, they're suffering badly and this vaccine should be rolled out in big numbers there, (shame we were late to sign up for this one) but the Oxford /Astra if/when it gains approval should be a game changer for us. It's not what some people want to hear but...... If we can all discipline ourselves, keep our heads down and protect ourselves and each other we could see the back of the worst of this by April. Happy safe Christmas to all.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
From The Telegraph today-

The Oxford vaccine is expected to be approved within days of Christmas, kickstarting a massive drive to give jabs to millions of people in January, The Telegraph can reveal.

Senior Whitehall sources believe the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA) will authorise the vaccines on December 28 or 29 after final data is provided to the regulator on Monday.

Football stadia and other sites across the country will then be opened from the first week of January, to allow mass vaccinations on a scale never seen before in the UK.

However, the progress comes amid growing fears that England is about to enter a third lockdown, with the Prime Minister recently refusing to rule out following Wales and Northern Ireland in such a course of action.

Last week the NHS began the first Covid-19 vaccination programme in the world, with jabs given to around 140,000 elderly people and health and care workers in the first seven days.

This week the rollout has expanded far more widely, with around 400 GP centres now involved, as well as 83 hospitals.

Over the weekend, the total number of Britons who have received the jab is expected to pass the 500,000 mark, The Telegraph understands.

By next week, more than 200,000 people a day should be receiving jabs, equating to well over one million doses a week by Christmas.

Once the Oxford jab gets the green light, the opening of mass vaccination centres will mean this can be increased to several million doses a week, Whitehall sources say.

It means Britain is on course to vaccinate the 20 million most vulnerable people by March, allowing far greater release of restrictions, with the prospect the whole country could be vaccinated by summer.

However, the progress comes amid increasing infections, and pressure on hospitals.

On Friday, Boris Johnson was asked whether England would follow Northern Ireland, which is introducing a six-week lockdown from Boxing Day.

He said: "We're hoping very much that we will be able to avoid anything like that. But the reality is that the rates of infection have increased very much in the last few weeks."

Britain has ordered 100 million doses of the vaccines, four million of which are immediately available, allowing a major expansion in the NHS vaccine programme across the country.

Unlike the Pfizer jab, the Oxford vaccine can be stored in regular refrigerators, meaning it can be administered far more easily, from thousands of sites across the UK.

Authorisation by the MHRA will also give confidence to countries across the world. India has already manufactured more than 50 million of the AstraZeneca vaccines.

The NHS has drawn up plans for “large scale” vaccination sites, in football stadiums, racecourses and conference centres to start administering jabs from the first week of January.

The programme will also be expanded to high-street pharmacies, while the number of GP sites involved in the programme will continue to expand.

The rapid rollout of the programme has seen some teething problems this week, with some GPs complaining that deliveries have been cancelled with little notice, while others say they have been offered more jabs than they can keep up with.

However, health officials hope that the authorisation of the Oxford jab will prove a “game-changer”, allowing vaccines to be transported and administered far more easily.

Although the first batch of four million doses will be delivered from the Netherlands and Germany, the bulk of manufacturing will take place in this country, allowing for easy access.

AstraZeneca has said a further 15 million doses of active ingredients are ready, and can be filled into vials in a matter of days.

The full order of 100 million doses, in addition to 40 million doses of the Pfizer jabs being imported from Belgium, is enough to vaccinate the whole country. The speed of rollout means the majority of those aged 80 and over are likely to receive the Pfizer vaccine, which was authorised first.

Both types of vaccine require two doses, with a three-week gap between them for the Pfizer one, and a four-week gap for the AstraZeneca vaccine.

The AstraZeneca vaccine has taken longer for regulators to assess, because of differences in the efficacy rates found in different groups, ranging from 62 to 90 per cent. However, a study released this week suggests that leaving an adequate gap between doses is the most crucial way to boost efficacy.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Telegraph reporting that by end of this Sunday over 500,000 people will have been vaccinated. That would suggest;

Week 1 - 140,000
Week 2 - 360,000

Decent increase in speed, Oxford approval will also multiply this big time. Also I believe only around 200 of a possible over 1,000 GP practices have started vaccinations so far.

My 87 yo Mum had her vaccine yesterday with the second one on the 8th January, no sore arm or any side effects so far she feels fine.

Was administered at the Church Hall in Stanford Ave, whole process took a couple of hours.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
From The Telegraph today-

The Oxford vaccine is expected to be approved within days of Christmas, kickstarting a massive drive to give jabs to millions of people in January, The Telegraph can reveal.

Senior Whitehall sources believe the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA) will authorise the vaccines on December 28 or 29 after final data is provided to the regulator on Monday.

Football stadia and other sites across the country will then be opened from the first week of January, to allow mass vaccinations on a scale never seen before in the UK.

However, the progress comes amid growing fears that England is about to enter a third lockdown, with the Prime Minister recently refusing to rule out following Wales and Northern Ireland in such a course of action.

Last week the NHS began the first Covid-19 vaccination programme in the world, with jabs given to around 140,000 elderly people and health and care workers in the first seven days.

This week the rollout has expanded far more widely, with around 400 GP centres now involved, as well as 83 hospitals.

Over the weekend, the total number of Britons who have received the jab is expected to pass the 500,000 mark, The Telegraph understands.

By next week, more than 200,000 people a day should be receiving jabs, equating to well over one million doses a week by Christmas.

Once the Oxford jab gets the green light, the opening of mass vaccination centres will mean this can be increased to several million doses a week, Whitehall sources say.

It means Britain is on course to vaccinate the 20 million most vulnerable people by March, allowing far greater release of restrictions, with the prospect the whole country could be vaccinated by summer.

However, the progress comes amid increasing infections, and pressure on hospitals.

On Friday, Boris Johnson was asked whether England would follow Northern Ireland, which is introducing a six-week lockdown from Boxing Day.

He said: "We're hoping very much that we will be able to avoid anything like that. But the reality is that the rates of infection have increased very much in the last few weeks."

Britain has ordered 100 million doses of the vaccines, four million of which are immediately available, allowing a major expansion in the NHS vaccine programme across the country.

Unlike the Pfizer jab, the Oxford vaccine can be stored in regular refrigerators, meaning it can be administered far more easily, from thousands of sites across the UK.

Authorisation by the MHRA will also give confidence to countries across the world. India has already manufactured more than 50 million of the AstraZeneca vaccines.

The NHS has drawn up plans for “large scale” vaccination sites, in football stadiums, racecourses and conference centres to start administering jabs from the first week of January.

The programme will also be expanded to high-street pharmacies, while the number of GP sites involved in the programme will continue to expand.
Good news that they are suggesting 'millions' in a month. Has anyone seen any forecasts of expected dates by age group. Sure it's little more than guesswork right now but would be interested (plus need to be thinking of getting back home at some point)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
vaccine b.jpg

This should keep David Icke and the other conspiracy theorists happy. Although, I for one, would like to welcome our lizard overlords.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good news that they are suggesting 'millions' in a month. Has anyone seen any forecasts of expected dates by age group. Sure it's little more than guesswork right now but would be interested (plus need to be thinking of getting back home at some point)

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk#vulnerable

Can try this? Vaccine date calculator. You can fiddle around with what you think uptake rate will be, how many vaccinations per week, etc.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I think the hope - once we have Oxford - is that it’ll be millions per week.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk#vulnerable

Can try this? Vaccine date calculator. You can fiddle around with what you think uptake rate will be, how many vaccinations per week, etc.

Received a message from my GP practise here in Eastbourne, everything is in hand and will be contacted prior to my turn for vaccine administration. The light at the end of this tunnel is getting brighter, roll on 2021 and a return to some sort of normality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here