Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Less good news, more completely freakin’ absurd. Me to my 83 year old mum earlier: “You and dad really shouldn’t go on the bus to Eastbourne tomorrow.” Her response: “Oh it’s okay, we suck Extra Strong Mints as soon as we get on the bus.”

:ffsparr:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For 20 weeks I'll get to help my ten year old son with...: Spelling, maths, science videos on YouTube, emailing friends and faraway cousins, making pizza at home, learning chess, playing Monopoly and Go For Broke, playing footie in the park early in the day or when it's raining (social distancing 👍), reading his school novels so we can talk about them, watch him score some great goals on FIFA, fail to convert him from a Chelsea supporter to the Seagulls, listen to his footie terminology such as 'top bins, megs, roulette, trevally (?!?), try to help him understand why we all need to follow the scientific advice but not to over-worry beyond that, and to let him reassure me in return when I have a wobbly or forget to wash my hands, think with him on what 'hello again' present to buy his teacher who'll be sending the class daily motivational emails with their work tasks, watch evening movies with him (some of them repeatedly 🙄🙄), snap at each other sometimes when we have cabin fever, listen to the music that HE likes, laugh uncontrollably at something silly.... wow, this'll keep us busy

This. Sunk in today how much I’m enjoying spending a lot more time with my two year old son, helping him learn about the world.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
It's good to see how small business is adapting. I went out to Arundel for a walk earlier and in the town centre, a number of the cafes etc have set themselves up with takeaway 'windows' - some by blocking the botton half of the door off to keep people outside while still keeping business ticking over. Have also been reading how Florence Road Market has worked with their traders to create delivery boxes for order.

While we still can, it is important to help keep these small businesses alive while also trying to maintain social separation. If you're working from home, take your lunchbreak and support a local baker, sandwich shop, etc using the money you are saving on travel costs. It also gets you out of the house for a short while.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
An independent bookshop in London is doing that sort of thing: serving people from the door. They’re calling it concierge service, which sounds rather nice.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Less good news, more completely freakin’ absurd. Me to my 83 year old mum earlier: “You and dad really shouldn’t go on the bus to Eastbourne tomorrow.” Her response: “Oh it’s okay, we suck Extra Strong Mints as soon as we get on the bus.”
I suppose that's the 21st. century equivalent of the 1919 'flu epidemic when the government put free cigarettes on buses to ward off transmission.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Just popped into Tesco at Lewes to 'take advantage' of the additional 30 min shopping for NHS staff before the hordes descend.
As shopping goes, it was a genuinely pleasant experience, partly due to the fact that everyone who entered was given a free bunch of flowers by Tesco staff (thank you, it was a really nice gesture), all the shoppers seemed to be pleasant, zero aggression regarding who was going to grab what from the shelves etc. I picked up a few basics (which were largely present - very few empty sections of shelves), and no evidence of stockpiling from my fellow shoppers.

I then popped across to a good farm shop and grabbed a few few nice treats (again, just the usual type and amount of things that I would usually get).

Happy to take advantage of the opportunity that Tesco presented (thanks again) and very happy to continue to support a local business.

Midweek shopping is pretty pointless for me at the moment with the hours that I do, so it was really appreciated.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just popped into Tesco at Lewes to 'take advantage' of the additional 30 min shopping for NHS staff before the hordes descend.
As shopping goes, it was a genuinely pleasant experience, partly due to the fact that everyone who entered was given a free bunch of flowers by Tesco staff (thank you, it was a really nice gesture), all the shoppers seemed to be pleasant, zero aggression regarding who was going to grab what from the shelves etc. I picked up a few basics (which were largely present - very few empty sections of shelves), and no evidence of stockpiling from my fellow shoppers.

I then popped across to a good farm shop and grabbed a few few nice treats (again, just the usual type and amount of things that I would usually get).

Happy to take advantage of the opportunity that Tesco presented (thanks again) and very happy to continue to support a local business.

Midweek shopping is pretty pointless for me at the moment with the hours that I do, so it was really appreciated.

Beautiful.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Need to keep this thread up near the top.

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] any idea when that paper will have been peer reviewed? Any idea how long that usually takes?

Also, one way I’m keeping going is just reminding myself that every morning I wake up, we’re one day closer to being out the other side of this shit awful situation.

I also think finding ways to mark time can help with perspective - ie got a series of films that you love or something - watch one per week, by the time you’re done we’ll be done!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

:ffsparr:
:down:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For music fans there’s a lot of interesting at-home live stuff popping up on the internet at the moment. Three things which caught my eye were Jeffrey Lewis who has been posting live performances from his apartment. Blanck Mass streamed one hour of new material with an improvised live techno-jam last night. Flea playing bass in his, rather lovely, garden. It’s a movement which seems to be growing as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For music fans there’s a lot of interesting at-home live stuff popping up on the internet at the moment. Three things which caught my eye were Jeffrey Lewis who has been posting live performances from his apartment. Blanck Mass streamed one hour of new material with an improvised live techno-jam last night. Flea playing bass in his, rather lovely, garden. It’s a movement which seems to be growing as well.

Ben Gibbard of Death Cab and The Postal Service has been serenading us live for our last couple of dinners. Been really nice.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Flea’s garden looks ****ing luxurious.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ben Gibbard of Death Cab and The Postal Service has been serenading us live for our last couple of dinners. Been really nice.

Rather partial to a bit of Death Cab for Cutie, particularly like " I Will Possess Your Heart "

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
By cutting back on my food consumption for the last two weeks as I dread the thought of going to the supermarket I've lost 6lbs in weight! Who knew dieting was so easy?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
By cutting back on my food consumption for the last two weeks as I dread the thought of going to the supermarket I've lost 6lbs in weight! Who knew dieting was so easy?

Frugality is causing the weight to absolutely drop off me. Similar loss to yours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here