Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The problem was not with food shortage, which should have been communicated widely, but with keeping up with demand. There's a reason why supermarkets are hiring in a matter of hours from application to employment.

maybe the govt should temporarily lift the ban on plastic bags for home deliveries only so drivers can just take the bags and leave them on the doorstep. i felt quite uncomfortable today while my driver dropped off the shopping and i had to leave him standing waiting for 5 minutes in the cold while i unloaded it all. (i normally let them wait in the hallway).
This would have the advantage of saving them masses of time and being able to do more deliveries per hour.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Making my 3rd trip to the supermarket after work today as the locusts had stripped all the meat from both the ones I went to earlier.
Better news on today's 3rd trip to the supermarket. They actually were rationing for a change, and had a little meat left :rock:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Absolutely convinced we’ll see this at work. Virtually everyone is working from home at the moment, so aren’t even in their usual offices, let alone overseas. The new Zoom VC package is outstanding and virtually everything we need to do is getting done anyway.........
Turn offices into affordable homes?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
CHAPPERS;9286128[B said:
]The problem was not with food shortage, which should have been communicated widely[/B], but with keeping up with demand. There's a reason why supermarkets are hiring in a matter of hours from application to employment.

But it was! I heard this on countless occasions in an attempt to cut panic buying. Sadly, in times of emergency, folk think only of number 1 . . .

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Absolutely convinced we’ll see this at work. Virtually everyone is working from home at the moment, so aren’t even in their usual offices, let alone overseas. The new Zoom VC package is outstanding and virtually everything we need to do is getting done anyway.........

This last week has been a real eye opener, even though it really shouldn’t have been given how obvious it all is in hindsight. In normal times I travel from Leeds to London five or six times a month, often for meetings that last a little longer than an hour. For me alone, it costs close to £500 in train fares per journey, not to mention the expenses, hic, I accrue along the way.

Worse than that, I travel to Abu Dhabi several times a year again for meetings that again often last only an hour or two, followed by a píss up.

Don’t get me wrong, this week has also been a reminder of the importance of human contact. I’ve missed my colleagues, many of whom usually annoy the fúck out of me. But videoconferencing does work, and is probably 80% - 90% as effective as doing things face to face. It’s not perfect, but it’s adequate in most cases.

To that end, tonight a few workmates and I got together for a virtual pint over Skype (the beer was real) to try and breathe a semblance of normality and routine into otherwise bizarre times. Of course it wasn’t the same as being huddled round a small table in a packed pub, but it was still a good laugh.

The world has to learn from this. Whether the corporate world is ready to go fully green yet or not, it’s fundamentally better for profits too. And that’s going to be pretty important in the medium term...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The closing of more public spaces I am claiming as positive news today.

I am very much now in camp #comeonletsgointolockdownandgetthisdone

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This last week has been a real eye opener, even though it really shouldn’t have been given how obvious it all is in hindsight. In normal times I travel from Leeds to London five or six times a month, often for meetings that last a little longer than an hour. For me alone, it costs close to £500 in train fares per journey, not to mention the expenses, hic, I accrue along the way.

Worse than that, I travel to Abu Dhabi several times a year again for meetings that again often last only an hour or two, followed by a píss up.

Don’t get me wrong, this week has also been a reminder of the importance of human contact. I’ve missed my colleagues, many of whom usually annoy the fúck out of me. But videoconferencing does work, and is probably 80% - 90% as effective as doing things face to face. It’s not perfect, but it’s adequate in most cases.

To that end, tonight a few workmates and I got together for a virtual pint over Skype (the beer was real) to try and breathe a semblance of normality and routine into otherwise bizarre times. Of course it wasn’t the same as being huddled round a small table in a packed pub, but it was still a good laugh.

The world has to learn from this. Whether the corporate world is ready to go fully green yet or not, it’s fundamentally better for profits too. And that’s going to be pretty important in the medium term...

Exactly......2-3 years ago I know I spent something like $150k on international travel in 12 months......goodness knows what our company spends because there are loads (thousands) of people doing that all the time. The total ban that’s in place at the moment will be a complete game-changer in terms of what’s possible.

I’ve spent hours and hours on VCs with my team this week (from Vancouver to Hong Kong and everywhere in between) mostly doing not much more than chatting like we would over a glass of wine or a coffee. We also had a couple of really critical business meetings over the last couple of days with 6-8 people, all in different locations (all of us at home). In a lot of ways it was much easier......in the office, we’d all have been looking for a room to step into (as it was confidential stuff) but being at home in my own office meant I had no confidentiality concerns.

As well as not travelling, the question of whether we even need to go to the office at all is already being questioned. I can’t see I’ll be in at all for the next month.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Exactly......2-3 years ago I know I spent something like $150k on international travel in 12 months......goodness knows what our company spends because there are loads (thousands) of people doing that all the time. The total ban that’s in place at the moment will be a complete game-changer in terms of what’s possible.

I’ve spent hours and hours on VCs with my team this week (from Vancouver to Hong Kong and everywhere in between) mostly doing not much more than chatting like we would over a glass of wine or a coffee. We also had a couple of really critical business meetings over the last couple of days with 6-8 people, all in different locations (all of us at home). In a lot of ways it was much easier......in the office, we’d all have been looking for a room to step into (as it was confidential stuff) but being at home in my own office meant I had no confidentiality concerns.

As well as not travelling, the question of whether we even need to go to the office at all is already being questioned. I can’t see I’ll be in at all for the next month.

Turn all those offices into homes!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Been doing virtual pub on zoom all week. Lockdown has actually made me see more people than usual. Just about to have a beer with mates from back home, tomorrow I've got brunch with friends in Malaga, then a "pub" quiz in evening.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Been doing virtual pub on zoom all week. Lockdown has actually made me see more people than usual. Just about to have a beer with mates from back home, tomorrow I've got brunch with friends in Malaga, then a "pub" quiz in evening.

How is the pub quiz being run?

Today I was mulling how we could do something like that on here.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My granddaughter crawled for the first time today.

Had the Corona virus not been around I would have missed it.

#GoodNews

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Bang on matey.

A few days ago I was worried my project might get canned over all this. Today I had a call with my PD on how much we were saving on expenses and how that allows both sides to extend time lines by almost exactly how long this will take to pass.

I will miss "taking my passport to work", but if I could work from home, still produce good quality output, have a happier life/work balance and save the environment for my kids I'd happily not travel again.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Drug dealers are going to suffer very severe financial losses hopefully.

Who on earth is going to want to buy recreational drugs like cocaine, MDMA, cannabis, amphetamines etc now? Many grubby pairs of hands will contaminate the product and along with the threat of COVID-19, there are already linked increased risks of heart attacks, seizures and severe panic attacks after contracting it in the world.

For heroin users - who are already in poor health, it could lead to injecting the contagious drug straight into their system and increased deaths. Crime would drop dramatically.

So what better time to give up a bit of sniff, Mandy or at worse, skag? ???

As a trainee drug worker, it has provoked mixed reactions on social media. And Brighton having heavy illegal substance use is already above the national average.

I've been there. Please just consider in the difficult few weeks and months to come, consider kicking the potentially deadly habit?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bang on matey.

A few days ago I was worried my project might get canned over all this. Today I had a call with my PD on how much we were saving on expenses and how that allows both sides to extend time lines by almost exactly how long this will take to pass.

I will miss "taking my passport to work", but if I could work from home, still produce good quality output, have a happier life/work balance and save the environment for my kids I'd happily not travel again.

Think of how easy it’ll be to fit those runs in [emoji106][emoji16]

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
How is the pub quiz being run?

Today I was mulling how we could do something like that on here.

Not sure exactly as I'm not running it but there are many options. Participants could send their answers in chat, or through a file in chat. It could be done using the poll function.

Or outside of Zoom, you could use Kahoot.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
No vaporettas or gondolas in Venice at the moment, so the water’s nice and clear and the dolphins are having a look round.

F5DB49D0-23B3-4A04-8233-DAA41F32DC6E.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here