Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Good News: today I received an email from Virgin telling me that my tickets are ready for printing, for our holiday in Jamaica at the end of April.

Bad News: Jamaica is (apparently) closed to all except Jamaica Nationals.

I'm confused (and isolated).

Not going to happen. I haven’t heard much about travel from experts but the one I have seemed to think that pandemics get to a point where it’s a waste of time banning air travel, but I don’t think we’ll be at that point for a while. I’m in a similar boat to you, been waiting since last year for a holiday booked for the start of next month, I’ve accepted to myself it probably won’t happen till at least June.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nationwide. Was on the news. My store manager posted this on facebook:

"From this Sunday we will open the shop at 9 for all colleagues and NHS workers. This will be every Sunday. All we ask is if you are an NHS worker you bring some id such as staff card. If you are colleague and are shopping in a store you don’t work in...take some id so they know you’re staff...

Shopping can’t go through tills til 10 due to Sunday trading laws"

Good ****ing GRIEF. Surely, SURELY, the government would be able to relax the trading laws to accommodate such a exercise properly?

Perspective.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The stores should just ignore the laws - no way in the world anyone is going to prosecute a store for opening for NHS staff etc.................

Easy to say, and of course should be the case. The tills will probably need their time / date restriction settings changed though, and the stores will not do it, without the green light to let it slide.

The stores should just ignore the laws - no way in the world anyone is going to prosecute a store for opening for NHS staff etc.................

Yet once you step over the border into Scotland the Sunday Trading Laws are very different almost to the "there aren't any" level. Was in Inverness last autumn strolling around the Town (City?) centre on a sunny Sunday afternoon killing time until the plane home. The huge Tesco store there opens for a proper 24/7 (none of the "but only 10 - 4 on a Sunday) and the high street shops seemed to all open around 09:30 - 10:00 and close around 17:00 which seemed civilised.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yet once you step over the border into Scotland the Sunday Trading Laws are very different almost to the "there aren't any" level. Was in Inverness last autumn strolling around the Town (City?) centre on a sunny Sunday afternoon killing time until the plane home. The huge Tesco store there opens for a proper 24/7 (none of the "but only 10 - 4 on a Sunday) and the high street shops seemed to all open around 09:30 - 10:00 and close around 17:00 which seemed civilised.

....yes, apart from not selling any alcohol after 10pm though. Daughter lives in Scotland and occasionally send a pic of herself in Asda or Tesco at 7pm on a Sunday just to annoy me.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A1962C4D-50A3-475B-A3B4-A56796B25F68.jpeg

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
As I've not been out much in the last couple of weeks I've saved a fortune - I didn't realise how much I spent out socially, plus it's helped my waistline.

Will never go tee-total but feel better for having a couple of alcohol free weeks to be honest.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Interesting. Thanks. Even more effective when combined with azithromycin it appears.

Hydroxychloroquine.PNG

All the usual caveats apply; small sample size, open-label, non-randomized etc, but it does look a very credible candidate for reducing the fatality rate.

Given the time critical situation, I wonder if hospitals will start using this off-label rather than wait for official approval.

Full study report here:

https://www.mediterranee-infection....2020/03/Hydroxychloroquine_final_DOI_IJAA.pdf

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Unless I have missed it, don't think anyone has put this on this thread, definitely good news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51969708

If the Government do cover a large % of wages and actually deliver this it will make a MASSIVE difference to companies currently about to lay people off.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I've noticed that the supermarkets are less busy today, and that there is more stock available. I was in the Sainsburys local in Hassocks two days ago and it was stripped bare, was in there again today, and whilst undoubtedly low on stock, with the exception of dried pasta most other things were available. A friend who went to the Lions Farm Sainsburys also said there was a noticeable stock increase compared to two days ago. My sister was in Aldi Lewes yesterday and said she managed to get virtually everything.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If anyone is an existing Ocado customer it seems they are back up and running properly now and the full shop that we requested came last night other than one type of halloumi being replaced by another :)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've noticed that the supermarkets are less busy today, and that there is more stock available. I was in the Sainsburys local in Hassocks two days ago and it was stripped bare, was in there again today, and whilst undoubtedly low on stock, with the exception of dried pasta most other things were available. A friend who went to the Lions Farm Sainsburys also said there was a noticeable stock increase compared to two days ago. My sister was in Aldi Lewes yesterday and said she managed to get virtually everything.

The problem was not with food shortage, which should have been communicated widely, but with keeping up with demand. There's a reason why supermarkets are hiring in a matter of hours from application to employment.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Heard similar from someone who visited Tesco Durrington.

Hopefully that is it now, because people having to go food shopping every day, sometimes multiple times a day, is NOT good for suppression of virus spread.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Heard similar from someone who visited Tesco Durrington.

Hopefully that is it now, because people having to go food shopping every day, sometimes multiple times a day, is NOT good for suppression of virus spread.
Making my 3rd trip to the supermarket after work today as the locusts had stripped all the meat from both the ones I went to earlier.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Perhaps one good thing to come out of this will be that now the anti vaccine brigade have seen what a single illness that has no vaccine can do to the world in a matter of weeks, we will never hear from them again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here