Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

Yoda

English & European
As it stands now. The set up for Wednesday next week and for the week following that is looking cold enough for the first snow of the season (even if it is wet snow).

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
As it stands now. The set up for Wednesday next week and for the week following that is looking cold enough for the first snow of the season (even if it is wet snow).

Can't see it coming that far South?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There's a strong signal that pressure is going to rise to our north and especially east later in the month. This could mean the chance of cold easterly or NE winds. I'm not saying we're guaranteed snow, but it will reflect a switch to a more blocked setup, much as we saw for much of last winter, and a really good omen for a cold setup repeating this winter.

For what it's worth, I think there will be snow further north, as a siberian high starts to exert its influence. Such setups tend to be repeating features, which often bring colder air with each 'go'.

To take everyone's mind off the loss of 2 points, the forecast above is looking very much 'on the money'. The end of the week looks very interesting for lovers of cold and snow... :)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Forecast for the game on Saturday, highs of 0 celsius, feeling like -6 and the chance of light snow showers. Nice!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To take everyone's mind off the loss of 2 points, the forecast above is looking very much 'on the money'. The end of the week looks very interesting for lovers of cold and snow... :)

Even on the coast? Or are we talking about a smattering on the downs?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Even on the coast? Or are we talking about a smattering on the downs?

At this 'range' i'd rather not get too precise about that. We all know that dead cert snow events can miss us down here, especially where ne winds are concerned, as the downs can act as a snow shadow.

I'd keep an eye on the models and forecasts from thursday onwards. Saturday's match could be interesting though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
At this 'range' i'd rather not get too precise about that. We all know that dead cert snow events can miss us down here, especially where ne winds are concerned, as the downs can act as a snow shadow.

I'd keep an eye on the models and forecasts from thursday onwards. Saturday's match could be interesting though.

Well we will have the orange ball anyway so may as well be snow on the pitch!!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Rtavn1321.png

Certainly going to be very cold. In terms of snow we will have to wait and see!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Damn looks like because I copied the image location, the image seems to be changing every few hours when they are updated!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Damn looks like because I copied the image location, the image seems to be changing every few hours when they are updated!

Every 6 hours, as that when the gfs updates. When i was posting charts last year i was taking screen prints, and saving them as pictures, putting them on flickr, and posting the links.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Though there appears to be a warm snap at the North Pole :ohmy:

For us to have cold weather we kinda need that warm air up there. The official met term is 'warm air advection', shortened to WAA, and it helps support the blocking anticyclone, and very importantly we get a corresponding CAA down the other side of the block. So, the more dramatic the extent of the WAA to Greenland the further the cold air can head down on the eastern side. Simples :)

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Every 6 hours, as that when the gfs updates. When i was posting charts last year i was taking screen prints, and saving them as pictures, putting them on flickr, and posting the links.

I could have sworn it didn't do that when I was posting images during the snow events at the start of the year! Oh well!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here