Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I know this is really over dramatising, but anything that could hold up the Stadium build this Winter, can f*** right off

You're over dramatising!

All building projects allow for an element of winter disruption. The stadium is completely on track, and anyway they have three months grace before August 2011 anyway. Apart from anything else much of the work is now internal so could continue regardless of snow, albeit none of the workers could get there!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I know I am. But I just couldn't bear the thought of it being delayed and us staying at Withdean for another year. With the time it's taken to get this far it wouldn't be too surprising to have one last spanner chucked in the works!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I know I am. But I just couldn't bear the thought of it being delayed and us staying at Withdean for another year. With the time it's taken to get this far it wouldn't be too surprising to have one last spanner chucked in the works!

I believe almost all of the construction work is complete - it's mainly all internal stuff now, so as long as they can get the bits to the site the weather won't affect it much. The pitch is currently growing somewhere, so that might be affected by the winter, but grass can cope :)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Has this now become the new Ask the Falmer Project Team forum?

Back to snow, I see netweather is only forecasting light snow showers for the weekend from Brighton to Worthing. I have a feeling that could translate into nothing!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

If, and I stress IF, it was delayed a little by weather, why would we stay at Withers for another year, when the build was only delayed by a wek or so ? No, they seem to know what they're doing, I'm sure winter was factored in (it happens every year, you know), and all is well.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If, and I stress IF, it was delayed a little by weather, why would we stay at Withers for another year, when the build was only delayed by a wek or so ? No, they seem to know what they're doing, I'm sure winter was factored in (it happens every year, you know), and all is well.
No, no it doesn't, last year and the year before were the first time we'd had a significant amount of snow in Brighton since I was 4... and I'm 27.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Martin Perry has stated a number of times that bad weather has been taken into account

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Back to snow and there is a small chance that the game on Sat might be postponed due to snow! There is a developing low pressure that is due to head down our way by Friday, this will give us sleet/snow and there is a chance of more snow on Saturday. Obviously the track and intensity is still to confirmed, but it's something to be aware of...

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Who said it's growing somewhere?

Me!

Back on topic, casbom is correct, the little low pressure that is going to move down the east coast is key to snow here. This morning's GFS (i've not seen the latest, due to some pesky footy match) had a period of heavy snow here on friday, with an occluded front moving down over us (the warm sector will move down the west side, with rain or sleet to the west of the IOW). One of the models this morning had the mother of all blizzards early next week with 60mph easterly winds, sub zero temps and heavy snow over the south. One to watch is the track of the low which is going to move up from the bay of biscay, as it has the potential to give us something special. Watch this space :)

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Me!

Back on topic, casbom is correct, the little low pressure that is going to move down the east coast is key to snow here. This morning's GFS (i've not seen the latest, due to some pesky footy match) had a period of heavy snow here on friday, with an occluded front moving down over us (the warm sector will move down the west side, with rain or sleet to the west of the IOW). One of the models this morning had the mother of all blizzards early next week with 60mph easterly winds, sub zero temps and heavy snow over the south. One to watch is the track of the low which is going to move up from the bay of biscay, as it has the potential to give us something special. Watch this space :)

So will we get snow lol

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
So will we get snow lol

Still too early to tell. Possibility of some on Saturday, but that's all we can say at the moment!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
is that the whole of sussex

Looking at the risk of snow for Friday/Saturday, it's looking like the whole of the South East. But as we all know, things can change very quickly.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Without seeing the very latest models, i'll have to guess, but...

I'd say we'll all see some snow out of this cold spell, the trick is whether we see a lot, or whether it settles.

As always, if the weather comes from the east or north east, east sussex and particularly Kent will get the best snow, away from windward coasts (where it may be sleet or rain). The only exception is where streamers establish off the Thames estuary, but you need very cold and unstable air for that.

For the sussex coast, the setup hinted at early next week, with a low pressure over France, and high to the north can produce huge falls of snow, but it needs to be just right, otherwise the low can be too far north, and we get mild air.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Without seeing the very latest models, i'll have to guess, but...

I'd say we'll all see some snow out of this cold spell, the trick is whether we see a lot, or whether it settles.

As always, if the weather comes from the east or north east, east sussex and particularly Kent will get the best snow, away from windward coasts (where it may be sleet or rain). The only exception is where streamers establish off the Thames estuary, but you need very cold and unstable air for that.

For the sussex coast, the setup hinted at early next week, with a low pressure over France, and high to the north can produce huge falls of snow, but it needs to be just right, otherwise the low can be too far north, and we get mild air.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
But nonetheless, it's looking very interesting for Friday/Saturday and as Papa said, Monday could be a big day too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here