Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2024-25 Season]

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
2.5c and light rain when I left Hove this morning, over the downs past Devil's Dyke and I entered a winter wonderland which was -5c. Looked stunning with the frost covered trees and bushes

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
2.5c and light rain when I left Hove this morning, over the downs past Devil's Dyke and I entered a winter wonderland which was -5c. Looked stunning with the frost covered trees and bushes

Oddly it was -0.3C and drizzling here a little while ago. Lots of cold air at ground level, with warmer air aloft.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Oddly it was -0.3C and drizzling here a little while ago. Lots of cold air at ground level, with warmer air aloft.

I am only going off the temperature shown in my car so not the most accurate! The 2.5c registered and rain started when I was at the top of Dyke Road by the A27

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So how can it rain and not snow when it is this cold? I am mightily confused. And rather disappointed.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
graupel with light snow in Horsham, temp got down to -6 here in Creepy!

Not sure Giraffe, could be due to the onshore winds picking up warmer air from the Channel which is mixing with the cold air, making it less cold higher up?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
graupel with light snow in Horsham, temp got down to -6 here in Creepy!

Not sure Giraffe, could be due to the onshore winds picking up warmer air from the Channel which is mixing with the cold air, making it less cold higher up?

The basic cause is having cold air at ground level and less cold air higher up, so it's rain when it leaves the cloud. Depending upon how think the cold layer is, it can fall as rain, supercooled rain (freezing rain), ice pellet or graupel. The current situation has us under an Anticyclone, so we're under a temperature inversion, with very cold air near the ground. The cold layer isn't very thick, but clearly thinner on the coast (rain) than inland (graupel). The air aloft is less cold, especially as there's a depression motoring in from the West.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

Anybody noted what the coldest temp in the UK was last night?....cheers

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Looking at the current model output - I think we may be putting this thread into moth-balls for a while. The outlook for the foreseeable future is looking mild, unsettled and wet. There are few straws to clutch at in terms of cold, and the current model output gives us a green Xmas. I'll report back if anything more interesting (snow wise) appears.

Looking at the current model output - I think we may be putting this thread into moth-balls for a while. The outlook for the foreseeable future is looking mild, unsettled and wet. There are few straws to clutch at in terms of cold, and the current model output gives us a green Xmas. I'll report back if anything more interesting (snow wise) appears.

:clap:

casbom

Jul 24, 2007

Cheers Papa, I couldn't remember the exact synoptics. Yes it's not looking good this side of the new Year!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
So no snow before Christmas. That is a flippin bummer. I am not very happy. I blame Barber, we had loads two years ago before he turned up.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

So you would say looking ok for the racing and sport on Boxing Day ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

So you would say looking ok for the racing and sport on Boxing Day ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here