Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex - In danger of becoming sterile

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I sat in the WSL block G yesterday. Just on the left of the dug outs I could smell the sweat.

Anyway, It wasn't as bad as everyone seems to make out.

Couple of points, WSU could be incredible and needs to work harder. During the north stand West/East stand song the East outsung the west the second time.

Secondly at one point the NS all sung the same song and it was very loud. I feel a big key to noise would be getting the north to sing as one. Be that songs that go on and on and on and on until everyone is taking part I don't know.

Hull wern't amazing but played there part. Only really heard them shouting Citeh when they had a corner.

Missed you yesterday, are you going to Millwall. As you say it is difficult to get the whole North Stand singing as one, especially as the middle area, right behind the goal, seems to lack people joining in. To be honest the likes of me and you also need to up our game and start more songs. We are fortunate to be right in the middle so both sides can hear us, we should take advantage of that fact more often.

Looking forward to next year as much as I love my seat I am considering moving over to the right side to be nearer the NSK boys. At least on that side if you start a song people join in.

On getting everyone to join in all through the stadium, all of us need to sing the songs for longer. We (Albion fans) have a terrible habit of singing two verses then stopping, if the whole stadium is to join in they need to last four at least.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Something needs to be done. The atmosphere is in danger of becoming sterile. This was shockingly noticeable at the CPFC game when our fans went AWOL for the most important game of the season.

Leeds sang us off the park for most of the game and Hull City outsang us for 80% of the game.

The WALL of noise noticeable in the early games is sadly lacking now. Why is this ?. Has the novelty worn off already ?.

I am all for a family friendly environment but the experiece imo is in danger of becoming like a day out at Alton Towers and with respect Mums and Dads with their 5 year olds will not create an intimidating atmosphere for the away teams to face and whether we like it or not, this will add to our chances of winning games.

The exodus with 6 minutes to go before half time was shocking and embarrassing. Unless you are desperate for a p*ss there is no excuse for this. The team need you there , supporting them and you cannot do that from trap 2 or in the queue for a Steak and Ale Pie.

The seat behind me has become like pass the parcel with a variety of newbies coming along. Don't get me wrong we need the newbies and they should be welcomed with open arms but we also must not forget that we need the die hards and the people who show passion and vocal support to drive the team on. I am the only one who stands up and vents at the ref and opposition in my area , the rest sit down, applauding occassion or like the bloke behind me slagging off Liam Bridcutt all game to which I " had a word ".

The worry is, any display of passion will be studied by the CTV gang looking to ban people. All good and well for genuine offences but we are in danger of becoming too fluffy and friendly and I need some genuine passion from the fans.

Thank God for the Northstanders who try and create some noise and passion even though we only have about 2 songs as the West stand appears to be going AWOL now.

What is to be done ?.

I disagree.
The fans only went AWOL V Palace due to the fact that we were playing shit, it was a backs against the wall job and everyone was too nervous to sing.
With regards to Leeds IMHO we out sung them in the second half, when the team were playing well, unlike in the first. The teams performances dictate the atmosphere.
You say that the 'Wall of Noise' is lacking, however reading the comments from the Hull Fans, they describe it as Electric I believe?
I do however agree about the 'newbies', as the seat in front of me sounds similar to your scenario; in fact I started a thread about how I was told off for 'over-celebrating' CMS's goal V Palace.
As for the North Stand it will be tarnished until the cretins that are the North Stand Kollective stop trying to copy continental songs, when we should be focusing on singing SBTS lower.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I'm still not convinced as to what how ultras contribute to the general atmosphere. I thought they were meant to create new songs yet the only ones we actually sing are Abioyawnn, We are brighton, hey jude and even SBTS is dying a death. I heard Gus Poyets Blue and white army starting in the north stand which is a good sign but it only lasted about half a minute?! Why?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
As for the North Stand it will be tarnished until the cretins that are the North Stand Kollective stop trying to copy continental songs, when we should be focusing on singing SBTS lower.

How is any of this NSKs fault? They start the vast majority of songs on the right side of the North. Worse atmosphere than normal yesterday, three or four of NSKs main song starters were not there too (due to the revised kick off time and them living up north) is this purely a coincidence?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I'm still not convinced as to what how ultras contribute to the general atmosphere. I thought they were meant to create new songs yet the only ones we actually sing are Abioyawnn, We are brighton, hey jude and even SBTS is dying a death. I heard Gus Poyets Blue and white army starting in the north stand which is a good sign but it only lasted about half a minute?! Why?

Because when they create a new song they get told its shit and they're fuckwits and plastics and should shut up??

I don't know the NSK, I think the name's a bit silly and some of it is very puerile. I'm getting very bored of "Stand Up If You Hate Palace" six times a game. BUT I tip my hat to them for trying, against almost non-stop criticism. I would've given up long ago for the stick they get, its no win for them. Think of a new song, get called a cretin. Don't think of one, get shit for not inventing new songs.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Do any if you lot actually go to away games and notice how quiet home fans are at EVERY other ground?
t.

I haven't read this whole thread but this post sums it up for me.

Most home fans at most grounds I've ever gone to and particularly since all seated stadiums are VERY quiet. At times yesterday I thought tge atmosphere was pretty good, and when it's loud it is very loud.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
You're kidding right? That was one of the most exciting 0-0's I've seen in over 30 years of football. If you can't get up of that you really should be at home doing the Sky Super Sunday thang.

If that is the best 0-0 you have seen in 30 year's then there is something seriously wrong. Was a terrible game. We just kept giving the ball away all game. 2 very average teams yesterday

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
But in the whole North v West thing I think the North are winning by miles.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Had a bloke standing behind me trying to start the chant "Stand up, if hate Hull City" ??? Never seen him before and hopefully never will again

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Because when they create a new song they get told its shit and they're fuckwits and plastics and should shut up??

I don't know the NSK, I think the name's a bit silly and some of it is very puerile. I'm getting very bored of "Stand Up If You Hate Palace" six times a game. BUT I tip my hat to them for trying, against almost non-stop criticism. I would've given up long ago for the stick they get, its no win for them. Think of a new song, get called a cretin. Don't think of one, get shit for not inventing new songs.

Thats not necessarily true though is it. This new Magiko was approved by a lot of people on here and let's not forget that they themselves put the words in the ultas song as 'we are the north stand' which, you guessed it, completely rules out the opportunity of singing it at away games or the rest of the AMEX.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
How is any of this NSKs fault? They start the vast majority of songs on the right side of the North. Worse atmosphere than normal yesterday, three or four of NSKs main song starters were not there too (due to the revised kick off time and them living up north) is this purely a coincidence?

NSK had set up a hierarchical 'super-fan' structure, which to many suggests that they are showing the suggestion that ' I am a better fan than you ' as I am an Ultra. My suggestion is quite simple, instead of signing foreign songs, sing SBTS slower, which would sound much better than any foreign song.

harmsey

May 20, 2011
I think it had more to do with the stewards than anything the standing section needs to be changed to about the 8th row from the back as most people south of that sit anyway if the standing is allowed I think people would find their voices again atmosfear in the north was not as good against hull but everyone had one eye on the stewards

People got wrapped up with the whole Zeitgeist of a new stadium and several wins on the trot helped. Since we have started to meet the better teams in this league we don't look so clever though. If you want people to make a noise it'll take more than yesterdays performance to get a lot of people excited. It doesn't matter who is playing who there just wasn't that much to get worked up about.

in a nutshell!!

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Quite a lot of people yesterday were talking about getting banned for showing "passion" during a game. If you sit on your hands in total silence you may secure your expensive season ticket! Out of a group of 15 that sit together 4 have been banned so far - fact.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Thats not necessarily true though is it. This new Magiko was approved by a lot of people on here and let's not forget that they themselves put the words in the ultas song as 'we are the north stand' which, you guessed it, completely rules out the opportunity of singing it at away games or the rest of the AMEX.

And agreed to change it to We are Brighton, Brighton, Brighton? And the Magiko thread was, yes, approved by many - but also slated no end by a lot of others. I just think they get a lot of stick whatever happens. Sing, you're an idiot, don't sing, why aren't you singing. Feel sorry for them really.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If that is the best 0-0 you have seen in 30 year's then there is something seriously wrong. Was a terrible game. We just kept giving the ball away all game. 2 very average teams yesterday

Glad it wasn't just me; hull's passing and movement was far superior to ours but fortunately they were toothless up front.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Missed you yesterday, are you going to Millwall. As you say it is difficult to get the whole North Stand singing as one, especially as the middle area, right behind the goal, seems to lack people joining in. To be honest the likes of me and you also need to up our game and start more songs. We are fortunate to be right in the middle so both sides can hear us, we should take advantage of that fact more often.

Looking forward to next year as much as I love my seat I am considering moving over to the right side to be nearer the NSK boys. At least on that side if you start a song people join in.

On getting everyone to join in all through the stadium, all of us need to sing the songs for longer. We (Albion fans) have a terrible habit of singing two verses then stopping, if the whole stadium is to join in they need to last four at least.

Provided you can pay on the gate I will be yes, Often I start songs and get a meak reply. The guys to our left (Left of goal) are good for joining in though. We really need to find a way to get everyone to join in the whole stand there must be a way.

Move out to the right? No chance we need to get them to move to us.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
NSK had set up a hierarchical 'super-fan' structure, which to many suggests that they are showing the suggestion that ' I am a better fan than you ' as I am an Ultra. My suggestion is quite simple, instead of signing foreign songs, sing SBTS slower, which would sound much better than any foreign song.

No 'super fan' feeling meant, Aside from that we have tried to slow it down but there is only so much we can do. I was in the WSL yesterday were some strides had been made. It was certainly the slowest I've heard it.

Are you in the north? If so where and we can agree that at say 4.10 we all start GOSBTS slowly and keep going slowly regardless. A few of us do this already but we really need all the support we can get. 1 fan at a time. Then another then another until eventually we've got it slow.

May also be worth testing it out in the North stand concourse together and see if the people around us pick up the correct tempo?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Glad it wasn't just me; hull's passing and movement was far superior to ours but fortunately they were toothless up front.

It was the speed of their break aways too that impressed me. If they had a CMS or a cutting edge up front they'd be top 4 without a doubt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here