Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex - In danger of becoming sterile

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I don't get this. From where I'm sitting in the WSU the atmosphere has been brilliant. If you think it's sterile then either you're deaf or our famed acoustics are in fact shit.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was in WSU and, although not the noisiest it's been, it wasn't bad. However, my Son, normally also in WSU, was in the North Stand disabled and said he couldn't hear us.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I thought it was building up to be a classic, what with the linesman in front of the West having an absolute stinker of a start. Off-side from a throw in? :lolol:

But the game wasn't blood and thunder, it was quite passive and uninspiring. It was a good watch for technical reasons, but that doesn't really get a crowd going. What was missing yesterday was the type of game of football which gets you going. Against everyone else, except Palace, the team has really inspired. Yesterday, it just didn't happen. It's a shame, but it's too soon to start using words like sterile. In any context.

Jun 24, 2010
Goring
By the way, if we're taking about atmosphere, remember :

Goldstone - was good but towards the end it was like a morgue and most singing was directed at archer and belotti. But we has a decent selection of songs most of which seem to hVe been long forgotten.

Gillingham - went to every game and it was crap at every game

Withdean - I could hear the birds singing louder than us

Falmer - been great so far but all of a sudden we have big crowds again and most people have not been for years and we have missed a whole generation of fans building a base of good songs and also knowing what to do. Its gonna take some time to get to where we all want it to be. I think we should be pretty pleased with where we are right now.

Almost every big stadium bar a handful is pretty quiet these days. I think we are pretty good in the grand scheme of things, and it will just get better over the course of a couple of years.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
By the way, if we're taking about atmosphere, remember :

Goldstone - was good but towards the end it was like a morgue and most singing was directed at archer and belotti. But we has a decent selection of songs most of which seem to hVe been long forgotten.

Gillingham - went to every game and it was crap at every game

Withdean - I could hear the birds singing louder than us

Falmer - been great so far but all of a sudden we have big crowds again and most people have not been for years and we have missed a whole generation of fans building a base of good songs and also knowing what to do. Its gonna take some time to get to where we all want it to be. I think we should be pretty pleased with where we are right now.

Almost every big stadium bar a handful is pretty quiet these days. I think we are pretty good in the grand scheme of things, and it will just get better over the course of a couple of years.

I thought it seemed a bit flat but I think you've just summed it up perfectly, good post !!!

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
The problem in the North Stand is that there are song starters at the opposite end to the NSK and both start up different songs at the same time. If you are in the middle, you join in with the nearest song, but then have to change to the one that's dominant. When we are all, singing together - like "we are the northstand Brighton boys", then the volume is amazing.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
NSK had set up a hierarchical 'super-fan' structure, which to many suggests that they are showing the suggestion that ' I am a better fan than you ' as I am an Ultra. My suggestion is quite simple, instead of signing foreign songs, sing SBTS slower, which would sound much better than any foreign song.

Garlic bread anyone? Honestly you couldn't make it up. Some people are just so dumb it's truly breathtaking.

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
Maybe we should go continental......have 5 or 6 huge flags at the front, some-one with their back to the game conducting the crowd with a mega-phone,followed by drums at the back

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I know people aren't always fans of the albeeeoon chant but I watched the highlights back and it does sound fantastic when all 3 sides are doing it! It echoes around the ground. I thought it sounded great.
On another note, it was a bit flatter, I was in WSL block I (pay as you go), and people in there were very quiet, other games I've been to have been alot louder. Still, perspective please, our flat atmos yesterday is still better than 95% of other stadiums and even better than the Goldstone, dare I say it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Upon reflection the games at the Amex are very special but it has lost some soul imo. All the people around me sit like lemons and very rarely show any real passion. The blokes all take their Girlfriends and sit quietly, parents bring their young kids. All through the game people are wandering in and out of the stands, meaning having to get up and down numerous times and missing important flows of action. 8 minutes before half time, when someone was injured there was a mass exodus for the concourses, literally 25% of the people in my area left their seats. I feel very conspicuous when I have a fit of anger/passion as no one else around seems to show any passion. I am convinced at least 50% of the people here have not been to a BHAFC game before. They seem to have brought st's to pass around their mates. Clearly the bloke behind me on Saturday knew nothing about BHAFC or the players. The West Stand middle is an utter disgrace. Of course after Withdean and the last 14 years it is like Heaven at the Amex, lovely ground, great team and manager, shame about the new fan base, but I suppose we needed to get 13000 new sth's and as such a lot of johnny come lately's and I dare say Londoners who have moved to Brighton are at the Amex. I just don't like the atmosphere in the East stand as , well, there isn't one. I think I will try and relocate next season to the North or West Upper if I can. The brand BHAFC is now a massive juggernaught and a money making machine, that is the priority and I can understand that but a little bit of what made BHAFC so special is in danger of being lost, still its a price worth paying I suppose. Lets just hope the newbies get to show some passion in the months/years ahead.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
100% agree US. The area I sit in in WSL is fast becomming a library. Yesterday I actuall lost my rag and shouted "Wake the f*** up!" and "two of us singing" as they all sat in stoney silence around me. Apart from a couple of bods who tried to join in after that it was me and my brother amongst corpses. Rubbish. Oh, and the constant getting up and going out during the game and leaving early is getting silly. Me and my brother were reduced to ressurecting the Withdean "rush, rush, rush for the bus" song at the end.

So you swore at them and then they ignored you????????? Hardly suprising is it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Upon reflection the games at the Amex are very special but it has lost some soul imo. All the people around me sit like lemons and very rarely show any real passion. The blokes all take their Girlfriends and sit quietly, parents bring their young kids. All through the game people are wandering in and out of the stands, meaning having to get up and down numerous times and missing important flows of action. 8 minutes before half time, when someone was injured there was a mass exodus for the concourses, literally 25% of the people in my area left their seats. I feel very conspicuous when I have a fit of anger/passion as no one else around seems to show any passion. I am convinced at least 50% of the people here have not been to a BHAFC game before. They seem to have brought st's to pass around their mates. Clearly the bloke behind me on Saturday knew nothing about BHAFC or the players. The West Stand middle is an utter disgrace. Of course after Withdean and the last 14 years it is like Heaven at the Amex, lovely ground, great team and manager, shame about the new fan base, but I suppose we needed to get 13000 new sth's and as such a lot of johnny come lately's and I dare say Londoners who have moved to Brighton are at the Amex. I just don't like the atmosphere in the East stand as , well, there isn't one. I think I will try and relocate next season to the North or West Upper if I can. The brand BHAFC is now a massive juggernaught and a money making machine, that is the priority and I can understand that but a little bit of what made BHAFC so special is in danger of being lost, still its a price worth paying I suppose. Lets just hope the newbies get to show some passion in the months/years ahead.
Eh? Whereabouts in the East are you? There seems to be a decent atmosphere in the North end of the East...

Seagull16

Sep 28, 2011
Plastic fans for you, dont sing when we arent winning, notice how 2,000 fans who had tickets were missing yesterday?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here