Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex - In danger of becoming sterile

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think a lot of fans get bored with the same old AAAAAAALLLBBBBIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNN ...... AAAAALLLBBBIIIIOOOOOOOOONNN chant 20 times a game.

New songs, and use up all the old ones we have.

Yep - new player songs. Like the Benno one we should use NSC and then get them going at games - it may take that you have to sing a new one 5 times or so to catch on but we should do it. On NSC you always get 1000 song suggestions on a thread - we need to pick one and go for it (one that 80% or so think is good). @terminator did a seperate thread for the Benno one and kept bouncing it which most certainly helped...

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I reckon I still have a hangover from the CPFC game as the conduct of our " fans " from 80 minutes onwards was an utter disgrace and embarrassment and that will take some living down and this game made me really question what our fan base is now made up of. I would think 5000-8000 diehards, 5000 occassionals, 5000 + - newbies. It will be interesting to see what the renewals are like when the novelty has worn off and the " Voyeurs " lose interest. It will take a good decade to bring back a packed stadium of BHAFC nutters who would never dream of leaving their seat before the whistle has blown for half time / full time. Until then I will have to put up with uninformed idiots like the person behind me and bite my tongue or try and get seats with the " real fans " in the North next season. Thanks for the debate I am off.

Your calculations are not far off what people were speculating about years before Falmer became a reality. Some "voyeurs" may well lose interest but there will be others to replace them if it happens. Unfortunately we lost a lot of traction during the homeless years in terms of our fanbase but with our catchment area, that stadium and good football, it will rebuild. We can hardly argue with crowds of 19k+ and a waiting list for season tickets.

The atmosphere is far better than I thought it would be but it does depend on which part of the ground you are in, as we are discovering.

One thing I have found surprising is that so many people vacate the North Stand 10 mins or so before half time. I expected it in the East and West, but for it to happen among our most vociferous die-hards has been a revelation.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You've just applied a whole set of values to a couple of people, knowing that they don't have them. Apart from that, I just didn't understand a single word you were on about.

Anyway, carry on.

Fair enough Alan.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Most away fans have said that we make plenty of noise when we get going but its the same old stuff all the time. That`s because of 12 years at Withdean where so many didn`t bother singing. Its up to the Albion away mob to test them out on the road and then bring them to the Amex. That`s how it normally works.
If the North can get half the ground singing that dreadful 'Love you' song then they can do anything.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There's nothing wrong with having a healthy debate to see if there are any ideas to improve the atmosphere and ultimately the support for the team, nothing wrong at all. No point in thinking you are a better supporter because you just worship at the altar of BHAFC without ever questioning anything. Perceived loyalty can end up harming the club like people who slagged off people who were not happy with Slade's 3 wins in 16 games , this sort of blind and misguided loyalty to the cause would have meant 4th division football and no Poyet.

I don't want the Amex to become a Wanky Man Utd type experience So I am for all for having an opinion as paying £ 545 am just as entitled to do so as you or are the club going to start banning people for having an opinion ?, quite possibly.

Well I can only speak for myself US when I say that going to the Amex for me is as far from a wanky Man Utd type experience as you can get. Where I sit you get fine facilities, a great view, a comfy seat and people singing throughout the game and at times of great excitement an absolutely deafening sound bouncing off the roof.

I personally look forward to every visit to the stadium, for me it's brought the fun back into watching the Albion. You are entitled to your opinion, I just don't share it.

Not to forget we have also seen some cracking games too. What's not to like?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I love the stadium, team, manager. Just feel there are danger signs the plastics are taking over the atmos.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
People shouldn't make the mistake of thinking our vocal support will increase threefold because Falmer is three times the capacity of Withdean. There is a fixed amount of vocal supporters and they are now spread around a bigger stadium. The JCLs are unlikely to be the sort of supporters Uncle Spielberg is asking everybody to be. But this is the same everywhere.

A great example of this is Arsenal's Emirates Stadium. Bigger crowds compared to Highbury but a less intimidating atmosphere altogether. I'm sure the same thing will happen to West Ham when they move to the Olympic Stadium. Tottenham will be interesting because they might manage to carry their decent atmosphere over. A lot of it depends on stadium design; I'm a big fan of the Borussia Dortmund Stadium with it's steeper, higher stands that create a cauldron atmosphere.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Agreed TLO. WSU is excellent and pretty loud, at times putting the North Stand to shame.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
When the whole West Stand sings, like it did for the first few games I can see the away supporters literally standing there with a look of shock and awe on their faces. More of that please.

Did people seriously believe the atmosphere generated against Doncaster would be carried through the season?
It was inevitable it would settle down and it does annoy me when people are "pigeon holed" into categories-
The standers v the sitters
The singers v the non singers
The diehards v the JCLs

We all love a strong pro Albion atmosphere but different people have different personalities and traits. Each to their own from the so called "Ultras" to the elderly couple I see each game struggling down the steps in WSL to get to their seats.

Our fans should be a cross section of our community and long may it continue.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
It's great being in the WSU.

When it's on song, it's so f***ing noisy up there.

Love it.

Agree with this 100%. WSU Block G and the atmsophere has been cracking all season!

I love it, just get boared of we should sing this song, oh no you shouldnt, oh yes we will. Just sing what you ****ing want and see if people join in! Perhaps NSC shouold have a text message group and you can text when and what to sign, and anyone who dares to sing anything different will be named and shamed on here on an agreed thread.

Anyway back to our WSU happy noisy atmosphere world.

Se you all at Millwall tomorrow evening.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've sat in the North for one game and the atmosphere was very good. I hear the North pretty well from my WSL seat too, and when the WSU and the North get going it sounds awesome, hairs on the back of your neck stuff. Without wanting to sound like a broken record, this is my problem; bearing that in mind I just don't understand how anyone sat where I am can not want to join in when it cranks up. On the couple of games where the WSL has got going too it's been jaw-dropping. Am I really being unreasonable for getting pissed off with the vast majority around me for staying silent? I don't want to settle for "it's still better than most grounds" when it can be one of the very best, if not the best.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
The atmosphere is quieter recently because myself and all around me have their mouths full of fingernails in anticipation of us conceding a goal and can't get the songs out! The nervousness of the crowd is palpable and probably explains a lot.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Agreed TLO. WSU is excellent and pretty loud, at times putting the North Stand to shame.
I keep on seeing comments like this from WSU inhabitants, however haven't heard much singing to back these claims up. Sure, when the whole of the WS is in full voice it sounds amazing, but IMO the WSU has sounded absolutley pish recently.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
The atmosphere is quieter recently because myself and all around me have their mouths full of fingernails in anticipation of us conceding a goal and can't get the songs out! The nervousness of the crowd is palpable and probably explains a lot.

Yes the tension is knife edged,i agree,however a good victory will help ! ( There are some who wouldnt shout if their house was burning down !!!! )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here