Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex - In danger of becoming sterile

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
FFS...not every game is going to b a brilliant atmosphere...i don't recall the Peterbro game as being that hot on noise........team were edgy and crowd likewise..it happens..nxt game against West Ham might be totally different...we've just had 3 'high profile' home games...a come down was inevitable when u add in the poor results...2nd half was better..but then u factor in the 'night' effect...imho night games always hav a better atmosphere so lets settle down now.

Yep , 0 - 0 game yesterday , not brilliant atmosphere, not brilliant game. Roll on WHU

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I sit in the WSU and thought the atmosphere yesterday was ok. Not great but fine. As others have said, we're beyond the celebrations and novelty of having a new stadium now although personally I'm still loving it. Besides which the atmosphere for home games rarely competes with those of away games when the vocal support is much more compact. So let's not overdo this atmosphere is dying thing. It's fine and, as always happened in football, will rise and fall depending on what's happening on the pitch.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
rubbish songs is the issue....listening to liverpool yesterday in their seats sounded amazing.....good songs.

"stand up if you X" is crap.
gosbs fast is crap.
ultras palace song is crap.

I agree that the songs do have a lot to do with it, For some reason we seem incapable of coming up with new decent songs of our own and have to keep churning out the same old songs year after year. Maybe all the years at Withdean had something to do with it who knows.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
rubbish songs is the issue....listening to liverpool yesterday in their seats sounded amazing.....good songs.

"stand up if you X" is crap.
gosbs fast is crap.
ultras palace song is crap.

Exactly, I think alot of people don't bother singing any more because the song repertoire is so LIMITED. And they are actually, mostly, embarrassingly bad even for football songs.

Good Old Sussex By The Sea sung properly would be immense as has been stated a ZILLION times on here, so why can't we make it happen!?

Albiyawn - shit
GOSBTS fast - shit
Seagulls, Seagulls, Seagulls - this is CHANTING not SINGING
Stand Up If You Hate Palace - It is f***ing embarassing that some people think it's funny to sing it at every game
Brighton Aces - The best of a bad bunch, but not sung enough

Player songs... do we have any? Apart from Casper, who currently has a song? The Nooney, Nooney, Nooney is CHANTING not SINGING.

Why do I keep banging on about the difference between singing and chanting? Well simply because chants usually last for around 10 seconds and are usually a direct response to an event on the pitch. Singing, on the other hand, is about creating an atmosphere while there isn't necessarily much going on on the pitch.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Totally agree with Tooting and Albion Dan. I sit in block G WSU - i think the atmosphere is very good - and for a nervy 0-0 yesterday there were some good periods of support and singing. I think accoustics play a large part as i am far from the home fans - i hardly heard anything from Hull - but if you sit near them i am sure they sounded loud. The only fans i have really heard this year were Leeds. Not even Palace made that much noise (objectively as I can be).

I have been to lots of away games and think that for a home set of fans generally we are very loud and proud. I am very happy with my seat and the effort of people to sing - WSU G block is loud and great view.

I dont think the Amex is sterile or will become sterile - the team was tense yesterday and so was the crowd - to be expected after the recent home results

:amex::amex:

Spot on...

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Totally agree with Tooting and Albion Dan. I sit in block G WSU - i think the atmosphere is very good - and for a nervy 0-0 yesterday there were some good periods of support and singing. I think accoustics play a large part as i am far from the home fans - i hardly heard anything from Hull - but if you sit near them i am sure they sounded loud. The only fans i have really heard this year were Leeds. Not even Palace made that much noise (objectively as I can be).

I have been to lots of away games and think that for a home set of fans generally we are very loud and proud. I am very happy with my seat and the effort of people to sing - WSU G block is loud and great view.

I dont think the Amex is sterile or will become sterile - the team was tense yesterday and so was the crowd - to be expected after the recent home results

:amex::amex:

Totally agree with everything you say. I'm in WSU G block as well and the atmosphere there is always fantastic.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Couldn't believe how fast people were going with Sussex by the sea yesterday, even with it being played over the tannoy. Perhaps they need to crank up the volume.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
The north couldn't get going as we were too busy being told to sit down by the stewards.

Just thought would throw that out there.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Definitely seemed flatter atmosphere in WSL C block yesterday. Tense, edgy game but fewer people chanting and for less time. Hope this doesn't carry on getting worse.

As for "I can't hear X stand singing" comments - it aseems to me that because of the acoustics you'll only hear certain parts of the crowd from any given seat. In south of middle WSL, I hear the North stand very well (thought they did well yesterday) but little else. Can't hear the West stand upper at all (just because of where I am) and the East don't seem to sing much. But I do hhear the oppo fans. It's just a case of where you sit. So not sure it's valid to critcise certain parts of the ground if you aren't getting the full effect of their singing.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
One thing that is quite noticeable is the lack of songs that some other clubs have. We need another signatory song as well as gosbts to add to our repetoire. The atmosphere was a little lacking yesterday.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Couldn't believe how fast people were going with Sussex by the sea yesterday, even with it being played over the tannoy. Perhaps they need to crank up the volume.

I think the opposite.... I think it was the liverpool or leeds game cant remember - when they started to play GOSBTS and the PA broke - the crowd sung it and it sounded great - personally i would advocated playing the first few bars then turning the PA off and let the crowd sing it??

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Y
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4453290 said:
Exactly, I think alot of people don't bother singing any more because the song repertoire is so LIMITED. And they are actually, mostly, embarrassingly bad even for football songs.

Good Old Sussex By The Sea sung properly would be immense as has been stated a ZILLION times on here, so why can't we make it happen!?

Albiyawn - shit
GOSBTS fast - shit
Seagulls, Seagulls, Seagulls - this is CHANTING not SINGING
Stand Up If You Hate Palace - It is f***ing embarassing that some people think it's funny to sing it at every game
Brighton Aces - The best of a bad bunch, but not sung enough

Player songs... do we have any? Apart from Casper, who currently has a song? The Nooney, Nooney, Nooney is CHANTING not SINGING.

Why do I keep banging on about the difference between singing and chanting? Well simply because chants usually last for around 10 seconds and are usually a direct response to an event on the pitch. Singing, on the other hand, is about creating an atmosphere while there isn't necessarily much going on on the pitch.

Well said mate. Half the problem is the knobs that think that sitting in one stand makes them a superior fan than someone else.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I was at the far East end of the North Stand and there were constant efforts in the 2nd half to get singing started but most of these weren't picked up by other parts of the ground. It seems that it is only when the WSU gets going that the noise gets to seriously impressive levels and I heard nothing from there yesterday. I think the timing of the game was a factor, people who had been drinking since lunchtime peaking 2 hours before kickoff, also if we are going to have 'fanzone' we need to freshen it up a bit, its become too familiar.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I sat in the WSL block G yesterday. Just on the left of the dug outs I could smell the sweat.

Anyway, It wasn't as bad as everyone seems to make out.

Couple of points, WSU could be incredible and needs to work harder. During the north stand West/East stand song the East outsung the west the second time.

Secondly at one point the NS all sung the same song and it was very loud. I feel a big key to noise would be getting the north to sing as one. Be that songs that go on and on and on and on until everyone is taking part I don't know.

Hull wern't amazing but played there part. Only really heard them shouting Citeh when they had a corner.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
It is tiring reading all this rubbish. Hull fans were quiet all game. I know I sit next to them. Do any if you lot actually go to away games and notice how quiet home fans are at EVERY other ground?

We have got it good believe me. It is going to be quiter some games than others, get used to it.

Great point. It has always been the case that turning up for a home game was the easy option (Apart from Gillingham ofc) whereas taking the time and effort to travel away to a fixture and being in the minority always seems to stir the blood.
That is however no excuse for the cpfc game which was plain and simply embarrassing due to the pathetic losers who left half way through the second half.
Even Anfield has become somewhat peaceful over the years while away games are always stonking. Not going to change me thinks.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
How many away games do we outsing the home fans.... Plenty that's for sure alot of teams struggle to get much of an atmosphere at home two notable exceptions being Stoke City and Pompey. It's just how it is. I never remember the Goldstone being a cauldron of noise either and i'd been going from 86.

This is the full and original version of "Sussex By The Sea"...

SUSSEX BY THE SEA is the county's unofficial anthem. It was written in 1907 by William Ward-Higgs, the full lyrics are shown below.
The county's motto, "We wun't be druv", reflects the strong-willed nature of its people in past centuries. Sussex's device shows six martlets. Sussex's county flower is the round-headed rampion, also known as the Pride of Sussex. the feast day of the county's patron saint St Richard, has been declared Sussex Day by West Sussex County CouncIl

Now is the time for marching
Now let your hearts be gay
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me
And I'll sing you a song, as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea.

For we're the men from Sussex
Sussex by the sea,
We plough and sow and reap and mow,
And useful men we are we:
And when you go from Sussex,
Whoever you may be,
You tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Oh, Sussex, Sussex by the sea
Good old Sussex by the Sea
You may tell them all that we stand or fall
For Sussex by the sea.

Light is the love of a soldier
That's what the ladies say
Lightly he goes a-wooing
Lightly he rides away,
In love and war, we always are
As fair as fair can be,
And a soldier boy is the ladies joy
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

Far o'er the seas we wander
Wide through the world we roam,
Far from the kind hearts yonder
Far from our dear old home,
But never shall we forget my boys
And true we'll ever be
To the girls so kind that we left behind
In Sussex by the sea.

For Sussex by the sea.

I don't for one minute suggest we start rehearsing the full and uncut version, or put the whole thing up on the big screen, just thought some might be interested...or not!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here