Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion NEED £2 million to survive. The board needs YOU to help

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
A couple of comments as an outsider......

1) Someone suggested the season ticket money has already been used up. If it's anything like at QPR, you might find that the bank releases money to the club on a match-by-match basis. Apparently the reason for this is if the club folds and you've paid by credit card for your season tickets, the credit card companies are jointly liable for the money you are owed so they don't hand the money over until the game's been played and their liability has been reduced.

Unfortunately, the clubs are not allowed the same flexibility with VAT returns and are obliged to pay the VAT on the purchase of the season tickets even though they haven't received the cash themselves, which can and does cause serious cash-flow problems.

2) I know we've had similar fundraising at QPR but why oh why do football clubs think the fans should hand over their cash and get nothing in return, but the bigger investors are entitled to shares for handing over their cash? (EG Norman Cook for you, Dunga and co for us).

Give people shares for their cash and they might just see a better response. F:censored:ck it ... I'd even buy some myself!
Being cynical (imho) the reason they don't want to hand over shares is they will see their own stake in the club diminish somewhat, along with control of the club.

3) It would be nice to see the players coughing up too (at both clubs!).

That's just my cynical opinion I suppose but I hope you get everything sorted soon, including the Falmer decision.

Good luck (apart from a couple of hours on Saturday of course :lolol: )

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
This is very worrying to me.

The one thing The Albion has always had is very loyal fans who would do anything to save the club and have done in the past and we continue to do so with the Falmer campaign.

Now the club know this, and my first thoughts, when this appeal went out, is that the club are using our loyalty as fans, to put our hands in our pockets and make quite large donations to save the club once again.

Are they taking us for mugs?

I hope not!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
SussexHoop said:
3) It would be nice to see the players coughing up too (at both clubs!).

Good point. Can you imagine if in business, customers were asked to fork out to save a company, but not the staff.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It seems to me that if we are going to raise the necessary monies, EVERYONE who can is going to need to help, players, fans, the next door neighbours cat.

You can imagine that Mayo would dip into his pocket, and maybe someone like Cullip, but more than that I would not be so sure.

Worrying times indeed.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
The players? That's like an employer askin it's works employees to give em some money as they going going bankrupt. Why should they?

IMHO, :censored: ARCHER should pay it!!

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I suppose this means that FBS has no more cash to assit, mind you, he's given loads to us already, good chap

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
All very nice words from Dean Blackwell last week about support from the club and fans etc ..... any chance of some of that money back please?

Nah, thought not.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Perhaps Burnside (seagull fan) can use his dodgy contacts from Sunhill to stub up some dough!!

:(

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mr Popkins said:
No, why dont you f*** right off!!!!
Nah.

Mr Popkins said:
if you want to pay £300 for nothing then go ahead.
Alright, I will. Thank you for your permission.

Mr Popkins said:
the last time Dick tight came to us cap in hand was the last 2 seasons asking for us to cough up £415 for our season tickets when the current season had not even finished.
The club has ALWAYS done that. :shootself

Mr Popkins said:
im saying the way Dick tight spent the money for the 40 note fund was a joke, not the fund raising events ,
What evidence do you have for that? Do you even know how much money we are talking about?

Mr Popkins said:
the last player the fans paid for was Rod Thomas who I actully felt he was worth paying for.
So Beasant, Roberts, Rougier and Iwelumo were not worth paying for - and we wasted our time and efforts then? That's nice. :)

Mr Popkins said:
I think everything I say is valid on here,
That's nice. :)

BTW The Great Cornholio - I am in a bad mood. Ask Daisy (the missus), she started it...

Personally, I support what Dick and Martin are trying to achieve and fully recognise the fact that we are in not a great financial shape. Without wishing to sound blase, the fact I can afford to chuck in a few quid is an extremely fortunate happenstance on my part. However, I fully understand if people are reluctant to part with any [more] money for whatever reason. There is, after all, no obligation to cough up.

However, Mr P, at the last count, you have put up four messages on this thread stating your reluctance, nay your disgust, at putting any more money in. That's fine, but I think we've got the message now. Although I do suspect there will be, with all sense of depressing predictability, a fifth message on this thread absolutely clarifying in no uncertain terms, your non participation at this time - and your reasons why.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Before I get shot down in flames (and I will contribute to the fund)

I find it slightly odd that the club have brought a few players in and are now asking for funds. Are we looking at a situation where it is vital that we retain 1st division status ?

Then again I don't really understand the finances of the club. I would have liked a little bit more explanantion as to what exactly is going on (actually "why now?" to be honest)

This all looks a little bit rushed to me...., to be honest I don't think there is a chance in hell of getting anything out any of floating supporters.

If the situation was that bad surely all the energies that fans have put to the falmer campaign could have been utilised in some kind of parallel and direct fund-raising ? Should they be now ?

If the situation is really that bad, hasn't the club looked into selling a player or two ? Of course I don't want that to happen, but that's usually the case before the club contacts fans direct.

Again I'll ask the question, are we looking at a situation where it is vital that we retain 1st division status ?

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Northstander said:
I am for one am not going to send £250 quid to get me name on seat for a ground we havent even got permission to build as yet!!

:censored:
That isn't the point though, is it ?
The club is asking for financial help. If you're going to donate something, then you're donating it to the cause, ie to help Brighton & Hove Albion to continue as a football club, in an attempt to see us through until we have the decision on Falmer. The club have offered the "name on seat" thing as a token gesture, as thats about all it has to offer in return right now. You're not donating £250 so that you can straight away gain something personally out of the deal. Or if you are, then your understanding of "donation" is not the same as mine.

I'm sure Dick Knight is not proud or happy at having to go to the fans cap in hand like this, and it will not have been done lightly. He has explained the financial burdens which have led to this, and none of us can be under any illusions as to the dire state of the clubs finances now, or the reasons for it.

Whether you donate or not is a personal choice, everyones financial circumstances are different. If you choose not to donate (for whatever reason) then fair enough. But its not helpful to round on the club, stick two fingers up and tell them to poke it because you've already paid x amount for your season ticket, or whatever. This money is not so that Dick Knight can buy another yacht, or to enable Martin Perry to get some new suits. If they wern't desperate, they wouldn't ask. Now if you won't or can't give anthing then fine, but lets cut out the slagging shall we ?

Remember, its OUR club they are trying to save.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
That is a very fair and valid point and I admittedly stand corrected!!

If I have any spare cash despite my mis-givings and after reading the last thread, I will happily something!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
clapham_gull said:
Then again I don't really understand the finances of the club. I would have liked a little bit more explanantion as to what exactly is going on (actually "why now?" to be honest)

The 'why now' bit is, I suspect, before the situation get any worse. I understand that the club is making a presentation to the sponsors and major donors this week, outlining why they are doing this. It will probably be in the Argus the next day.

clapham_gull said:
This all looks a little bit rushed to me...., to be honest I don't think there is a chance in hell of getting anything out any of floating supporters.

Maybe, but here's hoping.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:

As for the share issue, the club is considering this, and wants to eventually do it - but who wants to currently buy shares in a club which has no permanent ground and no guarantee of a future?

Probably the same people that are expected to part with their hard-earned cash as a donation to a limited company for nothing in return!:nono:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
The club is asking for financial help. If you're going to donate something, then you're donating it to the cause, ie to help Brighton & Hove Albion to continue as a football club, in an attempt to see us through until we have the decision on Falmer. The club have offered the "name on seat" thing as a token gesture, as thats about all it has to offer in return right now. You're not donating £250 so that you can straight away gain something personally out of the deal. Or if you are, then your understanding of "donation" is not the same as mine.

I'm sure Dick Knight is not proud or happy at having to go to the fans cap in hand like this, and it will not have been done lightly. He has explained the financial burdens which have led to this, and none of us can be under any illusions as to the dire state of the clubs finances now, or the reasons for it.

Whether you donate or not is a personal choice, everyones financial circumstances are different. If you choose not to donate (for whatever reason) then fair enough. But its not helpful to round on the club, stick two fingers up and tell them to poke it because you've already paid x amount for your season ticket. This money is not so that Dick Knight can buy another yacht, or to enable Martin Perry to get some new suits. If they wern't desperate, they wouldn't ask. Now if you won't or can't give anthing then fine, but lets cut out the slagging shall we ?

Top posting, Easy. :bowdown:

larus

Easy 10 said:

Whether you donate or not is a personal choice, everyones financial circumstances are different. If you choose not to donate (for whatever reason) then fair enough. But its not helpful to round on the club, stick two fingers up and tell them to poke it because you've already paid x amount for your season ticket. This money is not so that Dick Knight can buy another yacht, or to enable Martin Perry to get some new suits. If they wern't desperate, they wouldn't ask. Now if you won't or can't give anthing then fine, but lets cut out the slagging shall we ?

My sentiments exactly. If I am lucky/stupid enough to give money to keep the club going, then that's my choice, but for everyone on here that slags off Dick Tight, now it's your chance to do your bit.

I'll also be putting in £250 for my 10 year old lad too. Guess that makes me a f***ing looney then.:lolol:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Truth is a club the size of ours does largely run as a CHARITY and not a business.

If any of you do donate regularly to a charity then you will know that if there is anything that comes up needing extra funds they do write to you asking for an extra donation due to the recent events.

Our case is just a variation on that theme, as supporters of the charity known as Brighton & Hove Albion, we are being asked for additional funds required as a result of the ODPM calling a second enquiry on our new stadium.

You don't send money to the Red Cross depending on what they will send you back in return, you send it if you can afford it and if you think it's a good cause.

larus

The Northstander said:
That is a very fair and valid point and I admittedly stand corrected!!

If I have any spare cash despite my mis-givings and after reading the last thread, I will happily something!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Northstander, I'm very pleased you've crossed to the other side. See, it's not so bad over here after all is it?

It not always easy to say that you think you was wrong (so I've been told anyway....).

clapham_gull said:
Before I get shot down in flames (and I will contribute to the fund)

I find it slightly odd that the club have brought a few players in and are now asking for funds. Are we looking at a situation where it is vital that we retain 1st division status ?

Catch 22 though, isn't it. If the club invested nothing at all in the squad during the summer there would have been uproar, escpecially after the experience of two years ago. As much as none of us want to see the club go out of business, we also don't want the team getting dicked every week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here