Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion NEED £2 million to survive. The board needs YOU to help

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
tinx - we're not just customers though are we ? we are all what is known these days as stake-holders. It is our club, and our childrens club and their childrens club.

We have come so far - it would be a criminal waste to let it go now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Duncan H said:
But remember this sort of thinking (along the lines of "all we need is a return/good run in the Premiership") is what brought down Bradford and Leeds.

What we need is to run within our budget, not to plan that we'll get lucky on the pitch.

.... quite. I don't think anybody is seriously thinking that's the answer (I wasn't) - but it's incredible to think that in the mad world of football finance.. anyway

But we seemed to have had the money to bring in a few players (even though the budget is separate)

I'm slightly confused... shouldn't I be ?

.. but I will send a donation, the club obviously needs it (and means more to me than Tesco's)

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Duncan H said:
But remember this sort of thinking (along the lines of "all we need is a return/good run in the Premiership") is what brought down Bradford and Leeds.

What we need is to run within our budget, not to plan that we'll get lucky on the pitch.

yeah I know that, I meant an FA Cup run would be bloody handy, I'm not saying rest the starting 11 2 matches before the 3rd round so we have no injury worrys. Just that an Fa Cup run would help a little bit towards the financial side of things, of course it may not even happen. (and probably wont going on our track record)

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Dick Knights Mum said:
tinx - we're not just customers though are we ? we are all what is known these days as stake-holders. It is our club, and our childrens club and their childrens club.

We have come so far - it would be a criminal waste to let it go now.

My customers have a vested interest in my company. We supply software that runs part of their business if we go under they have no support for their software so have to invest in other software which will cost them huge amounts of money. So its entirely the same thing.

I don't deny I would love to take my Son to his first albion game when we go to Falmer but at the same time no other business would ask thei customers, whether a veste dinterest or not to bail them out so why should Brighton and Hove Albion?

The simple rule of business is you supply a product or service, customers pay for this product or service.

Not you pay for the service and then if thats not enough then the supplier asks for a some extra to help the cause.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I'm getting a very nasty feeling that the majority of people that are posting on this board look like they're abandoning ship right now.

Fair enough, if you haven't got the money or you don't agree with it, don't contribute, that's completely your right and will always remain so, but I am shocked at how many people are criticising the club for merely asking.

I saw this situation coming a mile off, the only thing I'm surprised about is that it has taken so long for them to ask. The club asking people to buy season tickets early was the dead giveaway.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Seagull73 said:
I'm getting a very nasty feeling that the majority of people that are posting on this board look like they're abandoning ship right now.

Er no just be realistic, Its insulting to be asked and we shouldn't be made to feel guilty for not be willing to throw more money at the club. If I sat down and worked out how much money the club has had off me in the past years then I would probably have a shock and my missus would freak out as I have no doubt it would pay for a good couple of holidays or some home improvements.

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
Duncan H said:
But if you accept that, why shouldn't season ticket holders be asked not to go to a few games, and the club able to sell their tickets to others.
I am in a better mood so thought I might say something sensible.When palace were desperate for money they asked for £1000 donations and got over a thousand people including myself to donate.Also they asked season ticket holders to pay for entry to one match and get their name printed in the inside of the programme which I believe most did.Many ex players gave and I think all the then playing staff.Asking for more than a couple of thousand to give is a big ask.

Last edited:

clapham_gull said:
My question is more about timing rather than anything else. Is it primarily the re-opening of the public enquiry that has tipped the balance here ? Because if it wasn't then maybe we should have known a bit earlier.
It's a fair point to raise the question of timing. I have to say that my first reaction when I heard about this Appeal was "Why now?"

Maybe the answer is to do with all the background work that the Club has been doing over the past few months with supporters and local businesses?

We've had the amazing support that our Falmer campaign has achieved nationally. We've had the buzz of the Playoff Final success. We have the frustrations felt everywhere about the extended Public Inquiry. And we have the excitement of the forthcoming Labour Party Conference.

What better time to try to pull in some money? We're on a roll. This Club has masses of goodwill already banked. Regardless of the likelihood of a few cynics starting to scoff, let's go for it.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Timing in my view:

After the Play-offs - OK they would've got the money for the Season tickets and probably did'nt think that Prescott would delay for another re-inquiry.

Shortly After the decsion - no reason in my mind not to do it then, maybe it was a case of "shall we, should we"

Now - Leave it any longer and you start falling into the "Saving For Xmas" months (I am already). If DK had asked this from the fans in Late October/November people would've said "piss of its nearly Xmas I gotta buy pressies!" At least now its in a null period of time and therefore theres more of a chance to get money out of People

After Xmas - People are counting the cost, the Club will be too busy with the re-inquiry anyway.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
It's a fair point to raise the question of timing. I have to say that my first reaction when I heard about this Appeal was "Why now?"

Maybe the answer is to do with all the background work that the Club has been doing over the past few months with supporters and local businesses?

We've had the amazing support that our Falmer campaign has achieved nationally. We've had the buzz of the Playoff Final success. We have the frustrations felt everywhere about the extended Public Inquiry. And we have the excitement of the forthcoming Labour Party Conference.

What better time to try to pull in some money? We're on a roll. This Club has masses of goodwill already banked. Regardless of the likelihood of a few cynics starting to scoff, let's go for it.

I must admit that I'm surprised something like this hasn't happened earlier. I put it down to some financial miracles being done behind the scenes - which obviously can't last forever.

Although I pay a huge amount of money for my season ticket, its been incredible value. Last season was terrible, but worth it towards the end.

Anyway, surely this can go alongside some other organised fund raising ? Are there a few others things in the pipe line ? I guess every little helps.

Everyone needs to get behind the club now. Is it thinking caps on time again ?

Last edited:

Regency Gull

Jul 14, 2003
Shoreham by Sea
Football is different as a business and I think clucb in the lower leagues or in our situation will run to some degree as a charity. I don't mind putting money in a bucket or paying over the odds for my season ticket as I feel it helps out the club I love.

But..

I don't understand why I should give money to the club to run day to day and get nothing but token gestures (seat name, draw entry) in return.

Why can they not issue new shares and allow supporters to buy them. It would feel like we are buying into the club we love and give us something back for the money. At the moment we are just donating to the club, when diluting their share holding and selling shares to fans would encourage more participation and a sense of getting something back.

I am skint and do not have £100 to donate, but if I thought I could become a shareholder in teh club I would efinitely try to find it. If I was offering £100,000 I bet I'd get shares so why take advantage of the average fan by taking their donation for next to nothing in return.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Dick Knights Mum said:
Push off.

They are an extravagance for me. For others they are essential. For others with more money - they are a piffling matter. I will certainly invest money into the Club. Because an investment is what it is - an investment in my, and yours, and all of our future generations happiness.

Spot on, DKM. I'm a bit surprised at the reaction of some - NSC has played a massive role in getting this club to where it is now, and can/should continue that fantastic work. On saturday the Watford fans were looking at us in confusion as we heartily clapped at the news they'd regained the freehold of Vicarage Rd. At Wrexham last season we gave a better "Gutterman Out" rendition than the home fans. Without wanting to sound arrogant, we ARE a different breed of fans. And that's because we morally, if not legally, own this club.....we have been through the absolute sh1t of Bellotti/Archer, sale of the Goldstone, Gillingham, etc. That has bound us together, and brought us back from the dead.....and that should be the spur for more heroic deeds in the future.

Surely at this new moment of difficulty, NSC should be binding together and really helping the club - again. How much can we raise?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think the club (as has been mentioned before and tried by other clubs) should ask all season ticket holders to donate their tickets for resale if theyre not using them (perhaps set up a freepost lacation) they should then be made available to ANYONE to buy on the morning of the match from the club shop

this way they generate more money and fill the ground, I was guilty of leaving my ticket at home when I couldnt go and therefore denying a seat to someone.

the idea of asking people to donate or pay for an extra game isnt a bad one IF theres something in return, for example a meet the players opportunity or something, the players should be obliged as we pay their bloody wages !

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
tinx said:
I actually agree with FG in this case, When it was queues as long as your arm for tickets to cardiff giving priority to seaosn ticket holders would have been seen as treating the supporters who pay into the club each year well. As such when they want us to fork out maybe we would think we are actually appreciated.

As it is they didn't now they want hand outs form us for nothing.

Some chance.

When my company was struggling in the wake of 9/11 we didn't go to our customers and ask for a handout to keep it going, we cut costs internally, refined procedures and the way we work and made it through all be it only just and with a load of redundancies but at no point did we ask our customer to bail us out.

Similarly we shouldn't be required to bail out the club as we are their customers. I took a pay cut then to keep my job which meant my standard of life went down a little. So why should it go down any more because another business is struggling and asking me to bail them out as well.

Before anyone chips up I don't give a f*** whether you think I am being disloyal tyo the club or not thats just my opinion like it or not.
For fucks sake, if you don't want to donate anything to the club then FINE. You're not obliged to, you don't have to, but the club has only asked if you CAN. I am getting mightily pissed off with people using this as a stick to beat the club with. Does it really need explaining AGAIN exactly why the Albion are in such dire financial straights at the moment ?

You keep on comparing this to "any other business". Football is not like "any other business". We're not selling paperclips here, or making fire alarms. There isn't another business offering the same product down the road, so we can just shrug our shoulders and use someone else instead if we don't like the product here. This is a football club, and like most other football clubs outside of the Elite, it survives mainly on the love and passion of its fans.

Now if you're going to turn round and give it the finger in its hour of need, then that is your choice and your right. Nobody HAS to stump this money up. But using this appeal by the Albion to drag up all your grievences and negative opinions over your perceived mis-treatment by the club in the past is pointless and unhelpful.

Make no mistake, this club is fighting for its life right now. If you can't help for whatever reason, then fair enough. If you don't want to help, but instead see this as another nice opportunity to put the boot in, then you can f*** right off.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
balloonboy said:
Surely at this new moment of difficulty, NSC should be binding together and really helping the club - again. How much can we raise?

dont see the point of NSC having a fund raising idea/event when we can just give money to the club out right, seems like too much effort and a waste of time.
"oh look Martin, the glorious people of NSC have handed us a cheque for £2345! lets go and post a new thread about When Are The Fixtures Out!"...why bother when we can do it ourselves?

Not meaning to sound negative but theres not alot we can do apart from empty our pockets if we can/want too. Its not like a letter writing to JP or National Falmer Day thing, its a simple money transaction...nothing more.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
balloonboy said:
Spot on, DKM. I'm a bit surprised at the reaction of some - NSC has played a massive role in getting this club to where it is now, and can/should continue that fantastic work. On saturday the Watford fans were looking at us in confusion as we heartily clapped at the news they'd regained the freehold of Vicarage Rd. At Wrexham last season we gave a better "Gutterman Out" rendition than the home fans. Without wanting to sound arrogant, we ARE a different breed of fans. And that's because we morally, if not legally, own this club.....we have been through the absolute sh1t of Bellotti/Archer, sale of the Goldstone, Gillingham, etc. That has bound us together, and brought us back from the dead.....and that should be the spur for more heroic deeds in the future.

I think its the immediate, shock reaction. I found out when called by The Argus and was put on the spot a bit. How do I feel? Shocked! Not to happy at having to spend money I don't really have but willing to do it anyway. I think/hope the general consenus will shift as it sinks in.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
CrabtreeBHA said:
dont see the point of NSC having a fund raising idea/event when we can just give money to the club out right, seems like too much effort and a waste of time.
"oh look Martin, the glorious people of NSC have handed us a cheque for £2345! lets go and post a new thread about When Are The Fixtures Out!"...why bother when we can do it ourselves?

Not meaning to sound negative but theres not alot we can do apart from empty our pockets if we can/want too. Its not like a letter writing to JP or National Falmer Day thing, its a simple money transaction...nothing more.

I think you're wrong.

Say we had a sponsored walk - Withdean to Falmer for example.

I think I could get sponsored by friends, family, next neighbour etc.

Those people probably wouldn't give any money usually but through a link to me may be willing to part with a small amount.

Times this by a few hundred and its a bit more money raised.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
CrabtreeBHA said:

Yep, it's all about money. The club has today just asked for individual contributions. The thing is, they know and we know that individuals are not going to make £2m. Today is Day 1 of the plea for help. There's plenty of opportunity for us all to think of some innovative fund-raising ideas as a group, and for EVERYONE on here to contribute, even if it's only a fiver. I'm not sure what the club would think of such an approach, but I would hope they'd view it VERY positively.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Turkey said:
I think you're wrong.

Say we had a sponsored walk - Withdean to Falmer for example.

I think I could get sponsored by friends, family, next neighbour etc.

Those people probably wouldn't give any money usually but through a link to me may be willing to part with a small amount.

Times this by a few hundred and its a bit more money raised.

Turkey, you're speaking my language!!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Easy 10 said:
For fucks sake, if you don't want to donate anything to the club then FINE. You're not obliged to, you don't have to, but the club has only asked if you CAN. I am getting mightily pissed off with people using this as a stick to beat the club with. Does it really need explaining AGAIN exactly why the Albion are in such dire financial starights at the moment ?

You keep on comparing this to "any other business". Football is not like "any other business". We're not selling paperclips here, or making fire alarms. There isn't another business offering the same product down the road, so we can just shrug our shoulders and use someone else instead if we don't like the product here.
This is a football club, and like most other football clubs outside of the Elite, it survives mainly on the love and passion of its fans.

Now if you're going to turn round and give it the finger in its hour of need, then that is your choice and your right. Nobody HAS to stump this money up. But using this request to drag up all your grievences and negative opinions over your perceived mis-treatment by the club in the past is pointless and unhelpful right now.

Make no mistake, this club is fighting for its life right now. If you can't help for whatever reason, then fair enough. If you don't want to help, but instead see this as another nice opportunity to put the boot in, then you can f*** right off.

Ok lets get this clear, I don't see this as an excuse to put the boot in again, I have never said a bad word about the current board or the way in which the club is run, I have 100% support for the current board. I just think asking fans to give money for no reward is not the way forward. Coming up with more imaginiative schemes and ways to get money would surely be a better option.

To suggest that because I am not giving the club anything that I am giving the club the finger is total bullshit and the same elitest "I'm better than you cack" that has been spouted on here previously. I am openly saying the club will not get money off me but that doesn't make you better than me in the slightest.

At the end of the day, its a personal choice and as part of my post I stated it was my personal opinion. If it doesn't agree with yours then tough shit, go preach to someone else pal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here