1 minute INSIDER posts a message in response
to some-one stating the clubs finances are ok
then a few days later the club are in shit street
begging for money.
I think this proves that the people at the top
have been telling porky pies with regards to how well
they are running the club.
Maybe a statement from the club would allay some of
the rumours which will now appear in abundance.
What about half-time tomorrow Dick !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
portslade seagull said:
Not sure what to believe now.
1 minute INSIDER posts a message in response
to some-one stating the clubs finances are ok
then a few days later the club are in shit street
begging for money.
I think this proves that the people at the top
have been telling porky pies with regards to how well
they are running the club.
Maybe a statement from the club would allay some of
the rumours which will now appear in abundance.
What about half-time tomorrow Dick !!!!!!!!!!!!!

hence my Ask The Club question regarding the Fans Forum...we need answers and fast otherwise we're all gonna be sat here thinking of the worst scenario.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
are they having a laugh?!!!

"if everyone dontates £100"
yer right!!!! like we can all afford that!!!

I pay £415 a year to the albion, thats my donation and not a penny more

Dick knight altough has works wonders has refused funding in the past from investers,i know this for a fact hafer having a lenghty chat with Steve foster , he has a big ego in my book.

once again they are holding the fans to ransom.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
They could'nt have announced it at a worse time..
It seems as if they want to scupper Falmer
The objectors must be lining up to use this against
us now....
I can just imagine Mr Baker MP bringing this up
time and time again....
Own goal by the club me thinks

Mr Popkins said:
are they having a laugh?!!!

"if everyone dontates £100"
yer right!!!! like we can all afford that!!!

I pay £415 a year to the albion, thats my donation and not a penny more

Dick knight altough has works wonders has refused funding in the past from investers,i know this for a fact hafer having a lenghty chat with Steve foster , he has a big ego in my book.

once again they are holding the fans to ransom.

Steve Foster - the PR Man for the Health Club guy who wanted to buy the club? If you ever saw the TV programme on him then you might think again.

Steve Foster is a playing legend but lost my respect when he got behind this guy. (Whose name escapes me - Steven someone?)

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
It's all looking rather grim!!

*wanders off to consider how many seat Crwaly holds*

Stephen Purdew - that's the guy. From a BBC Web Page

SUDDENLY Her Ladyship has developed a love of football. There was Ellen alongside me on Sunday cheering Spurs to victory over Leicester in the Worthington Cup (though I thought the other lot deserved to win). Why this change of heart? Then I spotted the answer. Standing there, beatific look on his Gallic features, adored by tens of thousands. Who else but that French onion David Ginola. MY GOOD FRIEND MR PURDEW

WHO is Stephen Purdew? Albion's general manager, Nick Rowe, wasn't the only one asking the question last week with news that the mysterious Mr Purdew wanted to buy control of the Seagulls.

Well, I can give the answer. I've known the millionaire businessman for years and can tell you he's a Sussex lad made good who's been supporting Brighton and Hove Albion since he was a schoolboy in short pants.

The son of an eminent architect, he was born in Petworth 39 years ago and went to school at Midhurst.

Stephen's interest in buying into Albion comes from his friendship with former captain Steve Foster, a frequent visitor at Henlow Grange Health Farm in Bedfordshire when he was playing for Luton.

Henlow Grange was Stephen's first big venture and the foundation of the fortune he's made in the leisure industry, although he's best known for the BBC's fly-on-the-wall documentary series made at his Forest Mere Health Farm in Hampshire.

Stephen reckons the Seagulls should be up there in the First Division with the likes of Norwich or Ipswich. "The supporters have been let down badly."

Stephen admits he's more likely to be watching Arsenal these days - thanks to the immense gap between the Premier League and the rest - but says he wouldn't want to invest in any club other than Brighton and Hove.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
The club and it's financial advisors must have seen this coming. If it's just DK's alleged ego from stopping others coming in and helping the club he really isn't acting in the best interests of the Albion anymore

BALDISBEAUTIFUL

Apr 4, 2004
Brighton
I will be donating as it is obvious we are in dire need of funds. Not everybody can afford it but all that DK can do, is ask for help. When you listen to the football results on Saturday night and hear the names of those teams in League One and Two that we used to play, this club has come a long way in 7 years. Don't be negative send in what you can.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I think the club should accept any money they can get, not just a minimum donation of £100. I'm a student and thus totally broke at the moment but I would love to put in what I can afford to help out. Unfortunately there is no way I can afford £100:(

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
id rather give £100 to help starving kids in sudan,

at the end of the day a football club is a business,

i,m fed up with the club asking for money left,right and centre.

40 notes fund, for players, which in my book was a joke as the money went on roberts wages a player re had already signed!!
and not a new player!!

to me £415 for a season ticket is a heck of alot of money and I only pay it as i realise that the club need to charge that much to keep going, but that clearly is not enough now.

What happens if they dont hit their 2 million target, will they ask fans to renew season tickets at xmas and charge £515 for it?

I know this is lazy, but this is my post on the subject from NSP:

Don't know enough about it but it basically sounds like another case of the club trying to take advantage of the best fans in the country.

I'm fully supportive of Dick Knight and the current board but this constant begging is beginning to get on my tits. We as fans spend ENOUGH money on over-priced season tickets (not personally, admittedly), replica kits, following the team all over the country etc, and to be constantly bombarded with "give this or the club will die" is taking the piss.

I don't know whether or not there is anyone 'waiting in the wings' with any extra money, but I definitely think Knight should look to see first before going cup-handed to the fans AGAIN.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
No-one in their right mind wil take over a club that has no ground and still awaiting permission to build one!!

I was yesterday full of hope for the club, I hate to say it, but this isn't good news in my books!!!!

:(

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mr Popkins said:
id rather give £100 to help starving kids in sudan,

at the end of the day a football club is a business,

i,m fed up with the club asking for money left,right and centre.

40 notes fund, for players, which in my book was a joke as the money went on roberts wages a player re had already signed!!
and not a new player!!

to me £415 for a season ticket is a heck of alot of money and I only pay it as i realise that the club need to charge that much to keep going, but that clearly is not enough now.

What happens if they dont hit their 2 million target, will they ask fans to renew season tickets at xmas and charge £515 for it?

Then don't cough up, and only come back on here when you have somehing sensible to say. Honestly, if you listen and believe Steve Foster, you are a berk.:shootself

Thank you for calling all the fundraising efforts the fans who turned up to the dogs' night, the quiz night, the gigs etc did as a 'joke'. Very constructive. Well done.

Dick hardly ever comes 'cap in hand' to us. When was the last time he did that? Buying a season ticket is hardly begging. Buying a replica shirt is a legitimate financial transaction - and we don't have the most expensive shirt in the country. Not exaclty beggin either. Are you expecting us to be GIVEN our season tickets?

As for the share issue, the club is considering this, and wants to eventually do it - but who wants to currently buy shares in a club which has no permanent ground and no guarantee of a future?

My £300 is on its way asap.

Last edited:

The Large One said:
Then don't cough up, and only come back on here when you have somehing sensible to say. Honestly, if you listen and believe Steve Foster, you are a berk.:shootself

Thank you for calling all the fundraising efforts the fans who turned up to the dogs' night, the quiz night, the gigs etc did as a 'joke'. Very constructive. Well done.

Dick hardly ever comes 'cap in hand' to us. When was the last time he did that? Buying a season ticket is hardly begging. Buying a replica shirt is a legitimate financial transaction - and we don't have the most expensive shirt in the country. Not exaclty beggin either. Are you expecting us to be GIVEN our season tickets?

As for the share issue, the club is considering this, and wants to eventually do it - but who wants to currently buy shares in a club which has no permanent ground and no guarantee of a future?

Blimey - I thought I was in a bad mood! :jester: :eek:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The club were banking on a decision either way in July , not this , lets reopen the enquiry nonsense. Its more money we simply haven't got.

Its a miracle this club is still alive and kicking, lets alone holding its own in the division below Arsenal , Chelsea and Man Utd !.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
There seems to be a lot of unfounded negative speculation about this. There is obviously stuff going on behind the scenes.

I, for one, trust the board based on the last 7 years:

- Moving from Gillingham back to Brighton
- working hard for Falmer
- Getting rid of Archer
- Moving up from 92nd in the league to 39th presently
- Bringing in 4 class managers
- 2 back to back league Championships

So my £250 will be donated - although I do understand the frustration of those who haven't got the readies.

Not having the Albion in my life is simply unthinkable & that is the question/option.

A total no-brainer.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd struggle with my conscience if i gave so much money to a football club (although one i love) when there are people in such need in the world.
Saying that, i somehow justify drinking £60's worth of booze a week.

Hmmm. This is going to take a lot of thought.

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
The Large One said:

No, why dont you f*** right off!!!!

if you want to pay £300 for nothing then go ahead.

im saying my season tkt is expensive (you can have a season ticket in nearly every permiership ground for that by the way) i understand why,

the last time Dick tight came to us cap in hand was the last 2 seasons asking for us to cough up £415 for our season tickets when the current season had not even finished.

im saying the way Dick tight spent the money for the 40 note fund was a joke, not the fund raising events ,

the last player the fans paid for was Rod Thomas who I actully felt he was worth paying for.

I think everything I say is valid on here,

Last edited:

I think we fans should be pleased that DK is using every opportunity to raise money BEFORE the bailiffs come knocking on the door. Like other people who have already posted, I don't believe that millions can be raised just from small/medium sized donations of £100 or so, but if this initiative goes in parallel with an appeal to the Sussex business community to stump up some four- or five-figure donations into a Club that, through its success, is delivering a huge return into the local economy, then there is every point in running this appeal now.

There'll no doubt be the cynics who will bleat on about potlessness and desperation, but they have been whinging for years.

One thing I am certain of is that there's no alternative "Mr Big" out there who will get us to Falmer. At first sight, chancers like Purdew always look impressive, but they aren't around at the moment, and anyway, they've always got an agenda of their own which doesn't include delivery of the skills to work with the organisations that will get us a new ground in Brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here