Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I can't be bothered to find it but someone said on this thread or another one similar to this that Potter is the Club's "greatest ever" manager. Therein lies the problem for me, the complete worship of him by some who clearly ignore the problems that exist under him. He wouldn't make it , at present, into my top five managers of the Albion in my lifetime (I started watching us in 1970). He was handed a team already in the Prem , thanks to the work of others, and the biggest amount of player investment and backroom support in the Club's history - his current record is worse than his predecessor.

I don't wish him gone (yet) but I do wish that the fawning over him on here was toned down by some.

IMO.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't be bothered to find it but someone said on this thread or another one similar to this that Potter is the Club's "greatest ever" manager. Therein lies the problem for me, the complete worship of him by some who clearly ignore the problems that exist under him. He wouldn't make it , at present, into my top five managers of the Albion in my lifetime (I started watching us in 1970). He was handed a team already in the Prem , thanks to the work of others, and the biggest amount of player investment and backroom support in the Club's history - his current record is worse than his predecessor.

I don't wish him gone (yet) but I do wish that the fawning over him on here was toned down by some.

IMO.

He's a work in progress, visibly learning his trade, well looked after by Bloom in terms of - the best squad we've ever had, astonishing facilities, the staff above and below him, a development squad with possibilities, support and patience.

He has not over achieved during his 31 months.

Very pleasing football at times, especially when opposition managers play ball with an open game, some memorable wins.

Balanced against long non winning runs, frustration as players miss sitters or opposing managers increasingly come up with a suffocate Brighton game-plan.

A mixed picture, not good of late.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
OK, that I get to a certain extent. Of course a spawny win is preferable to any kind of defeat, but, frustrating as it can be to play well and lose, I'd rather that than to be playing badly and losing.

I agree with you, but interesting counter-argument from Tuchel in today's Guardian:

“We have good performances, sometimes very good, but we don’t have the results,” Tuchel says. “This is exactly the place where you don’t want to be. If you have bad performances and don’t have the results you just focus on the performance and you speak it out loud.
“You get the performance better. Whatever needs to be done, get it done to increase the possibility of a result. A good performance and no result is the worst place. A bad performance and a good result is the best place because you say focus on the performance and we still win and you have the atmosphere. I refuse to analyse the Everton match from the result. And if you only look at results in football you can be horribly misled.”

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

IMO.

Hmmm.
CH in the PL: one point per game
GP in the PL: 1.12ppg

Are you going to resort to a better stat, or did you get that bit wrong?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree with you, but interesting counter-argument from Tuchel in today's Guardian:

“We have good performances, sometimes very good, but we don’t have the results,” Tuchel says. “This is exactly the place where you don’t want to be. If you have bad performances and don’t have the results you just focus on the performance and you speak it out loud.
“You get the performance better. Whatever needs to be done, get it done to increase the possibility of a result. A good performance and no result is the worst place. A bad performance and a good result is the best place because you say focus on the performance and we still win and you have the atmosphere. I refuse to analyse the Everton match from the result. And if you only look at results in football you can be horribly misled.”

I'd like to see him say that after 11 games which generate 8 points and 5 goals.

On the plus side we’re not as bad as Leeds

I'd like to see him say that after 11 games which generate 8 points and 5 goals.

If you could name one club in the league above all others where managers totally live or die by results it would be the Blue Fash

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

IMO.

He’s done……ok.
It’s an unsatisfactory verdict but it’s about right.
We haven’t climbed the table much.
The style of football has improved, albeit not to the extent that we score many more goals.
Tony Bloom may have hoped for more improvement by now , but Potter is doing well enough to keep his job.
That said , those who worry that a champions league club is about to pinch him, should rest easy.
From what Potter has shown so far, he is , at best, at his level.
I’d love to see what he could do if he had another decent striker to call on. He’s been short changed on that front.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
He’s done……ok.
It’s an unsatisfactory verdict but it’s about right.
We haven’t climbed the table much.
The style of football has improved, albeit not to the extent that we score many more goals.
Tony Bloom may have hoped for more improvement by now , but Potter is doing well enough to keep his job.
That said , those who worry that a champions league club is about to pinch him, should rest easy.
From what Potter has shown so far, he is , at best, at his level.
A championship club is probably more realistic if this run continues for much longer.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No - Potter has yet to get us to a Cup Semi Final or does only league games count in your book ?

You said "his current record is worse than his predecessor". I pointed to what I think is the most important statistic on this. You've responded by pointing to the Cup semi-final. In answer to your question, largely, yes, as it will do for Bloom which is the view that really matters.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Goals are what we all want to see.

Last season we averaged 1.05 per game, this season so far it's 0.87. Not completely surprising but not even managing to muster a 1 per game average ain't going to see us win many games. Hopefully Evan Ferguson will get a chance in the New Year. Just have a good feeling about him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Last season we averaged 1.05 per game, this season so far it's 0.87. Not completely surprising but not even managing to muster a 1 per game average ain't going to see us win many games. Hopefully Evan Ferguson will get a chance in the New Year. Just have a good feeling about him.

With the best will in the world if the club are reliant on Connolly II to change their fortunes, it'll be a long winter.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

There’s something to be said for unleashing a big, enthusiastic teenage Irishman, to cause some disruption when the game is gently slipping away.
Ferguson should have been given 20 minutes the other night.
Admittedly, that’s based on not having seen much of him, but we know he is a unit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here