Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] That has to be the end of Potter?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not sure we'll ever square the circle of EPL Top Ten ambitions and Bottom Six budget, sadly. How long do you think we'll hang on to Sanchez? How long will any future academy wonderkid stick around with agents whispering in his ear that he can earn him multiple times the payday that TB's wage structure allows for. And who could blame them? Which of us wouldn't do the same? It's a short career and you're a long time retired. Reckon we'll have to gracefully step away from the top table sooner rather than later without a fresh injection of funds from TB or elsewhere. Wouldn't be the end of world for us time-servers tho. No disgrace whatsoever in being a well-run family club that knows its place

The PL just isn't as exciting as the Championship because it's less competitive, although that's somewhat compensated by the better quality. I agree about the ambition/budget 'circle' but, for me, that even makes the treading water that much more impressive and I enjoy the scraps that come with that.

Not sure I agree about TB and funds for two reasons:
-- he has spent constantly ...
-- ... but not on what many on here want, because he has a different agenda to most of us (which is why he's the chairmen, and we aren't). He'll continue along this path, because for him (and me) it's working

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hoddle was describing Mweapon's dreadful attempt to score. He didn't mean his overall play (which had been very good).

It is hard to have a sensible conversation about the state of our club when people can't get simple facts correct.

That said, I woke up this morning acually thinking that if Potter were sacked now, would I care? Depends who the replacement is, I guess.

And any talk of this after 5 games would gave been greeted with the derision it probably still deserves.

Ditto.

Not sure if it's because I'm to past caring due to the non-winning inertia, or secretly yearning for a change, any change, to end this low plateau of being draw and loss EPL also-rans?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The contempt for xG bemuses me. You don't see people getting riled up by Shots on Target stats, so why the hate for xG?

I'm bored of all the stats, especially possession, have been for years.

Only caring about:

Goals scored.

Three points.

They get me out of my seat, I roar, I punch the air, they make my week.

Old school, pro sport's about winning.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Because the 'solution' put forward by many is that all we have to do is spend money and problem is solved. I was trying to demonstrate that this is not necessarily the case.
Quite a few mentioned Demarai Gray before he went to Everton £1.5m if that’s the budget then why not sign options with PL experience once in a while. Arron Moy was a good example a far better player than Mwepu is ever going to be IMO.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Quite a few mentioned Demarai Gray before he went to Everton £1.5m if that’s the budget then why not sign options with PL experience once in a while. Arron Moy was a good example a far better player than Mwepu is ever going to be IMO.

How many are 'quite a few'?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Only caring about:

Goals scored.

Three points.

Given the correlation between money and winning, is it worth following the Albion?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Only caring about:

Goals scored.

Three points.

Personally I'm rather enjoying this new and punchy [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION]. Well PLAYED Sir or Madam or Other :clap2:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The contempt for xG bemuses me. You don't see people getting riled up by Shots on Target stats, so why the hate for xG?

I think because it’s often used to justify a disappointing defeat. Something along the lines of ‘yes, we lost again but did you see our XG ?’ I have to admit I also find that quite irritating. Some of my most enjoyable Albion matches have been when completely outplayed then stealing a last minute winner. Big loss on XG but three points banked nevertheless.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Old school, pro sport's about winning. [/B]

That's why it surprises me that the Club refuse to prioritise the Cups.

I understand the ethics behind it. The PL Survival is where the money is and if you get injuries and suspensions it could put that I jeopardy but at some point you have to give the fans something to remember and a day out at Wembley is great for fans of Clubs like Brighton.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

When Mooy was Mwepu's age he was playing for Western Sydney Wanderers, having failed to make the grade at St. Mirren.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We are now in a position similar to seasons 3 and 4 when we were in the top division 1979-83. The initial kid at Christmas sensation is replaced by a realisation that we have peaked and therefore there's nowhere else to go, and therefore this is the most to hope for from the future, and it's not particularly appealing.

Crowds fell (to less than 10,000) at the Goldstone as a result in 1982 and the side were booed by the fans, as the football was turgid and results poor.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
That's why it surprises me that the Club refuse to prioritise the Cups.

I understand the ethics behind it. The PL Survival is where the money is and if you get injuries and suspensions it could put that I jeopardy but at some point you have to give the fans something to remember and a day out at Wembley is great for fans of Clubs like Brighton.

We had one under Chris Hughton, who was then sacked a couple of months later.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We are now in a position similar to seasons 3 and 4 when we were in the top division 1979-83. The initial kid at Christmas sensation is replaced by a realisation that we have peaked and therefore there's nowhere else to go, and therefore this is the most to hope for from the future, and it's not particularly appealing.

Crowds fell (to less than 10,000) at the Goldstone as a result in 1982 and the side were booed by the fans, as the football was turgid and results poor.

Yep. 10th on average I think is around 48-50 pts. So really over a season just 3 or 4 of our draws being turned to wins, and 2 or 3 of our defeats being turned into draws from our previous 40-41 pt seasons. It can still be done this year, but it’s not suddenly a sea change in results really.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Given the correlation between money and winning, is it worth following the Albion?

Please accept that not everyone is so ultra positive as you.

My take, but correct me about you if I'm wrong, is that the $$$$$$$ EPL has created a new easily pleased modern fan, who're able to accept months of not winning and barely scoring. Rationalising with, variously:

- Wow, I can't quite believe Thierry Henry's in the Amex Box (someone posted that here).

- Wow, I can't quite believe that Eden Hazard's at the Amex.

- Wow, isn't it incredible to be part of the greatest show on earth, seen in 200 countries.

- I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Following Brighton and football in general since the mid-70's, few talked in those terms (obviously slot in older names) in decades past.

People went to the Goldstone or Anfield to see their heroes win games of football, score. Leaving on cloud 9 with a win, miserable about a defeat. The rollercoaster.

I stand by this. Many people now are completely fine post match with seeing their beloved Albion draw and lose for months. Possibly:

1. Coke or alcohol smashed, there for the craic, the Albion not a big thing to them; or
2. Part of the gentrification of the sport in this country, having this new different mindset. They don't feel the pain that the legions on the old terraces did.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think because it’s often used to justify a disappointing defeat. Something along the lines of ‘yes, we lost again but did you see our XG ?’ I have to admit I also find that quite irritating. Some of my most enjoyable Albion matches have been when completely outplayed then stealing a last minute winner. Big loss on XG but three points banked nevertheless.

OK, that I get to a certain extent. Of course a spawny win is preferable to any kind of defeat, but, frustrating as it can be to play well and lose, I'd rather that than to be playing badly and losing.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We had one under Chris Hughton, who was then sacked a couple of months later.

Yes but he went against the " directive " when he saw the draw open up when drawn against Millwall in the Quarter Final. Even then it almost went " tits up " in that match. I was gob smacked when he played by a full strength side that day.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes but he went against the " directive " when he saw the draw open up when drawn against Millwall in the Quarter Final. Even then it almost went " tits up " in that match. I was gob smacked when he played by a full strength side that day.

He did however follow the directive prior to then though

FA Cup.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here